Ancient/Pre-Steam Unit Graphics

@Fairline Did you ever find a pictoral reference for Kolner and Mantuan Infantry and Cavalry? They were the four glaring empty spots in my Seven Years War scenario I'd started, but, like several notable scenarios I'd started, but put aside and kept all the assets, because making them work as I'd envisioned seemed insurmountable at the time, but seems a lot more possible now with LUA and ToTTP and such, and those half-done several scenarios are my very highest priority to finish before any completely new projects. I think I've listed the bunch of them of them several times in several different threads here.

In a word no. In the case of Cologne it's easy enough to speculate: those German states in the Prussian sphere of influence dressed like Prussians ( blue coats, mitre caps for grenadiers) whilst those in the Austrian sphere of influence dressed like Austrians (white coats, fur grenadier caps). There were a couple of exceptions: Hesse-Darmstadt confusingly dressed in Prussian style uniforms despite being their enemies, Bavaria dressed in light blue, Hanover in red.

You must have an enormous unit roster to be including units for incredibly small states with tiny armed forces. Do you have all the major players covered adequately?

In a word no. In the case of Cologne it's easy enough to speculate: those German states in the Prussian sphere of influence dressed like Prussians ( blue coats, mitre caps for grenadiers) whilst those in the Austrian sphere of influence dressed like Austrians (white coats, fur grenadier caps). There were a couple of exceptions: Hesse-Darmstadt confusingly dressed in Prussian style uniforms despite being their enemies, Bavaria dressed in light blue, Hanover in red.

You must have an enormous unit roster to be including units for incredibly small states with tiny armed forces. Do you have all the major players covered adequately?

I did. Most small German States got a generic "fusilier," and "lancer," unit with a Holy Roman flag collectively, but Cologne and Mantua were called out specifically several times in the sources I was reading as non-contiguous allies of Louis XIV despite all of their neighbours siding with Austria, and the stubbornness these two states (at least initially) honoured their ties to France. That was the only reason I was interested in separate units, really.

For your generic cavalry, dragons or regiments of horse would be more representative than lancers, as very few states were using them at this time.

Is the scenario War of the Spanish Succession rather than 7 years war btw? You mention Louis XIV...

That's always a good source. It turns out Knotel included a cologne regiment on one of his uniform plates: blue Austrian style coat with red facings, white 'small clothes' and bear skins for grenadiers.

For your generic cavalry, dragons or regiments of horse would be more representative than lancers, as very few states were using them at this time.

Is the scenario War of the Spanish Succession rather than 7 years war btw? You mention Louis XIV...

I was quite certain the War of the Spanish Succession was the last war the "Sun King," led France during, and that he died less than a year after the Treaty of Augsburg.

That's what I assumed. In your post above you say your scenario is about the 7 years war.

"They were the four glaring empty spots in my Seven Years War scenario"

Disregard everything I said about Prussia and austria above - that applied to the 7 years war.

That's what I assumed. In your post above you say your scenario is about the 7 years war.

"They were the four glaring empty spots in my Seven Years War scenario"

Disregard everything I said about Prussia and austria above - that applied to the 7 years war.

Oh, my mistake. Yes, I mistyped the wrong war.

Now I know we're talking about the WSS, I have found reference to the army of Cologne in CS Grant's books. There were 4 regiments of foot including a guards regiment. All dressed in light blue with white breeches and waistcoats and black or red stockings. The coat turnbacks were red, rose, white and black. There were 3 regiments of horse, 2 dressed in light blue and one in scarlet with black or white facings. I'll draw them if you are serious about finishing the scenario.

Now I know we're talking about the WSS, I have found reference to the army of Cologne in CS Grant's books. There were 4 regiments of foot including a guards regiment. All dressed in light blue with white breeches and waistcoats and black or red stockings. The coat turnbacks were red, rose, white and black. There were 3 regiments of horse, 2 dressed in light blue and one in scarlet with black or white facings. I'll draw them if you are serious about finishing the scenario.

I am. I have four or five half-finished albatrosses that LUA and ToTPP can now make possible actually finishing as I originally envisioned (frustration with earlier versions of the game, and what was possible, was the reason all of them were initially shelved). And the WSS scenario is DEFINITELY one. No new scenarios will be started until my four or five half-finished ones are all finished! And I might as well kick this up on my list since I've got your enthusiasm.

Well good luck!

cologne WSS.png

Attachments

• Tanelorn Venetians 1714 2nd Morean War.png
    Tanelorn Venetians 1714 2nd Morean War.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,157
Last edited:

Venetian army of the 1st Morean war, aka the 6th Venetian-Ottoman war, part of the Great Turkish war of 1683-1699 or the war of the holy league.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morean_War
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Turkish_War

or how these bafoons blew up the parthenon...

I only have written sources for the German mercenaries, except for the hohenhole regiment. Again, except for the Hohenhole, heir banners are also anachronistic (Hannover for sure), but its better than nothing. They might have just flown Venetian colours, of course.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Venetians 1684-1699b.png
    Tanelorn Venetians 1684-1699b.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 1,043

Venetian army of the 5th Venetian- Ottoman war, aka the 1645-1669 Cretan War, resulting in the capture of Crete by the Ottomans.

The Siege of Candia (modern Heraklion, Crete) lasting from 1648 to 1669, or a total of 21 years, is the second longest siege in history after the siege of Ceuta.
-edit- The Knights of Malta and the Duchy of Savoy actually have the same flag.
@techumseh Thanks!

Attachments

• Tanelorn Venetians 1645-1669.png
    Tanelorn Venetians 1645-1669.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 995
Last edited:
Years ago I drew some seated medieval figures for MGE: a king, a pope and maybe one of two others; I forget.. I no longer have these and wondered if anyone's got them?

Top Bottom