1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

...and now the games don't work

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Ghost, Jun 30, 2005.

1. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

I say replace the memory.

2. 777

777 King

Bloody hell, I have just the same problem as you have only difference that my card is PCIExpress, otherwise same. I'm running with AN8-V motherboard and Athlon 64 3000+ processor and 512 DDR ram (few years old).
    Could it be that it's memory what is making problems? What I should buy?

Nice thing that my old computer destroyed and bought brand new parts, but then nothing works. This is why I hate sometimes really much computers :mad:

3. CruddyLeper

CruddyLeper Unworshipped Deity

777, have you plugged a power connector into the graphics card? Same type as goes to a CD or DVD drive?

That's why Ghost's problem was, solved in the follow on thread.

4. 777

777 King

It seems that I can't plug 4pin plug there, or there isn't place for it so...I think that's a difference between PCIExpress and AGP

5. Cedric Greene

Cedric Greene King

Yeah from what others said that's only an AGP "feature". My guess would be a small power supply, do you know the wattage and manufacturer of your power supply 777?

6. 777

777 King

I think 350W should be enough. This is really tricky and annoying problem since I can't in any find solution.

Last effort is that my memory isn't suitable with my new parts.

7. Cedric Greene

Cedric Greene King

Yeah my manual says minimum of 300w but suggests 480w power supply. Certainly can be the memory, especially if transferred from one board to another. I would look up the manufacturer of the board and find out what they recommend and then look of the manufacturer of the RAM and see if your board is on their compatability list.

8. 777

777 King

I think I'll have to get 2x512Mb DDR 400MHz modules. Memtest throw few errors allready :sad:

9. 777

777 King

Ok, now the blue screen of death stays and doesn't immediately boot. These are the most commen messages what it says "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALL" or "nv4_disp.dll"

10. cidknee

cidknee Emperor

google it....
    heres a link that I got
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_20837201.html
    or
    Here is what microsoft says about it.

Stop 0x000000D1 or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    The Stop 0xD1 message indicates that the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. Drivers that have used improper addresses typically cause this error.

Interpreting the Message
    This Stop message has four parameters:

Memory referenced.
    IRQL at time of reference.
    Type of access (0x00000000 = read operation, 0x00000001 = write operation).
    Address that referenced memory.
    Resolving the Problem
    For additional troubleshooting suggestions that apply to all Stop errors, see "Stop Message Checklist" later in this appendix.

Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.
    For more information about Stop 0xD1 messages, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base link on the Web Resources page at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/webresources. Search using keywords winnt, 0x000000D1, and 0xD1.

updated and comaptiable drivers are very important when running XP. Check your hardware with the HCL www.microsoft.com/hcl If you hardware is not on the list it does not mean it won't work it just means it hasn't been tested by Microsoft and they won't Guarantee it to be compatible. If it not on the list check the manufacturer's website fo an up to date XP driver, if they don't have one you may be out of luck. This goes for motherboards and the bios too.

11. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

I had this frequently recently - a long with a few other ones. The problem was that the PCI slot in the motherboard was failing - I moved my modem to a different slot, and the problem disappeared.

Might be a bit more difficult if you only have a single video card slot....

12. 777

777 King

I don't have any devices in PCI slots. Only video card in PCIE slot.