AND vs C2C

civhelp121

Prince
I've played civ for years and civ 4 is still my favorite in a series, especially enabling some of the larger mods. Looking to get back into the game after some time. Given both AND and C2C are huge and fairly time consuming mods, looking into what is the difference between the two. Also given both mods add a huge number of features its kind of daunting to look through all the things AND and C2C add. What do you think is the main differences between the mods?

Rise of Mankind is a planet.

Caveman 2 Cosmos is the universe. You can't compare it. I don't think C2C can even be categorized. It's....
it's.... Caveman 2 Cosmos.

Civ4-BtS is kinda like a Child's Encyclopedia (a really good one):

AND is like a scientific book with lot's of illustrations. You can read it cover to cover and enjoy it.

C2C is a Lexicon with illustrations. Fun to look up some phrases.

This is my opinion. I know some people really like playing C2C but for me it's too big to enjoy. I love loading it time to time to look for ideas for my own modmod but I tried to play it only once or twice.

C2C is massively overstuffed, has horrendous end-of-turn processing times and will never be finished if they persist in just adding more and more stuff ad infinitum. There were several attempts to even begin balancing their huge amount of content, but invariably another dev would change something or add a tonne more stuff (or even disagree with the proposed balancing in the first place) and so not an awful lot has happened on that front.

I used to quite openly call it Caveman to Castle, because unless you have a super-computer or actually like consuming the complete works of Proust during an 'average' playthrough, you're unlikely to ever get much further than the Renaissance (and that's not even touching the Everything is Better!! options, such as their Eternity or Gigantic options).

I actually used to be a C2C modder. I quit them over five years ago because I didn't agree with the ever-increasing levels of complexity the other modders were adding, and I really don't want to know what they have been up to since. If you really have a taste for extreme complexity, go with C2C. I prefer the better sense of organization that I have been able to put on AND.

I contributed a bunch of voice files in 2014/15, I think, so if there's still a fairly deep British chap reading some of the prehistoric tech quotes, that's almost certainly me.

Thanks everyone! Yeah I remember C2C being huge and always adding new features years ago, I can only imagine how many features they have now. Honestly sounds like AND would be easier to tackle with a busy schedule.

@Arakhor Definitely played through the prehistoric age a couple times since then. Will keep an eye out for a british accent

I remember AND and was first great mod :) now enjoying caveman 2 cosmos even more, this amazing quantity of stuff is main reason. Turn processing time still not problem, i just started to explore other planets now, everything is working fine. Computer already has a few years, its core i7, GTX 780, 32 GB RAM.

Turn processing isn't too bad for smaller maps and smaller quantity of AIs.

I made space map so you can try almost anything, it has no AIs and has relatively small map size.
TPEHEP made space map with proper earth, but space part is creative mess.
There is Kation's map on forums that has both proper Earth map and proper space part.

Top Bottom