Annoying possibly game breaking bug

Vengurd

Chieftain
Hi there. My first post here. I've read some of the 'how to post' things but I'll probably get a few things wrong.

Firstly, I have the V29 C2C and whenever a friend and me try to play we get a ton of errors in game about the game unable to write .ini files. In itself, that isn't too much of a problem other than it cluttering up the game screen and making it difficult to see what we're doing at times, but these files apparently cause certain features to stop working, such as notifications when we finish a tech, or when something is built or our units engage in combat. It all still happens, but we get no notifications and whenever we research multiple techs, we get all the random voices to start up in game (its rather humorous if you don't have your volume up).

Anyhow, I tried a single player game to see if the problem persists, sure enough it does, so I snagged a screenie to share with ya'll. Unfortunately, using prt scr (print screen) doesn't work on the game, it just screen caps my desktop. Until I can get it to actually capture visual representation, we may have to do without.

If anyone can help, it'd be much appreciated.

I think the ini bug is caused because one of you hasn't administrator writing rights (for civ folders)?

If you download the current SVN version and you both have the same (game options and SVN revision) you also will have fixes for some CTDs that v29 still had.

Btw there is a single- as well as a multiplayer player bug thread where you can post your problems in, no need for a new thread for each problem

Oh, I forgot: welcome to C2C - have fun with this great mod! :)

All those messages about not being able to write to files is because you don't have permission to write to the directory. Windows is like that it says no first and you have to change it so that it does. Playing in administrator works but there is also another method which is a better security method but I can't remember how to do it at the moment.

Those files contain a lot of the information about the options you have chosen so not having them written means you aren't playing the game you think you are ;)

alt-print screen will capture just the active window.

Thank you for the quick replies, running as administrator works, which is something I can cope with for now.

Thanks for the welcome DRJ. :)

I couldn't find a topic for both single and multiplayer bugs, only a topic for each, I felt this required attention for both rather than one or the other. Fortunately, this is just a minor bug.

Just a quick thought from a new person; maybe a quick guide on how to avoid some of the bugs if at all possible, such as running as administrator, or setting folders to be read/write, what to download, how to ensure you have the correct version, etc.

Most of the games I play I end up modding in some form or another, its just so much fun to do so long as you know the basics of what you're doing.

Have you looked at the FAQ thread?

JosEPh

Top Bottom