[GS] Another look at Georgia

What's everyone's opinion on the new Tsikhe? 8 faith from a single building is significant, but I still found it annoying to have to build all three levels of walls to get it. On the other hand I wanted monarchy for the influence anyway, so at least there was some synergy, and it's easy to find a spare military slot for limes. I had tons of faith generation from other sources this game, but in a playthrough without that and going wider maybe they'd matter more?
man i've never once taken monarchy and meant to keep it. Is the 50% faster influence points actually pretty good? I've always preferred for the discounts on faith buying from theocracy or defaulting to merchant republic. I suppose the military policies are actually pretty decent since you want to run the 100% wall production bonus anyways. Do you find its still expensive to build up to the tsikhe with this policy? I never build past ancient except on cultural wins but I find that ancient and medieval are still pretty cheap to build with this policy, renaissance is more of a drag, but given the tsikhes discount it should be easy, no? (it does have a discount right???)

What's everyone's opinion on the new Tsikhe? 8 faith from a single building is significant,
there is a lot of faith out there and that is a lot of investment for an uber wall the AI is likely never to attack. The tourism is inadequate also. If it was to double the religious tourism of the city then that would be a niche alternative that is very situationally powerful.

Tamar should probably just swarm the world with her polyphonic rock bands. Chances are she’ll get CV this way faster than DipV.

I think the Faith on the Tziches is not bad, but I don't think doubling Tourism is the answer. Georgia does not otherwise have a specific bonus for going for a Cultural Victory. Yeah, they can buy Rock Bands, but it's not like other civs with Faith bonuses can't.

I did briefly feel a twinge of regret for not upgrading walls in my current game after a Rough Rider Army slipped through my front line and beelined for Ottawa. But it retreated just as quickly instead of healing up with pillage. But this is not a common enough occurrence to cause me to work on walls.

I still need to try GS Georgia to determine a final verdict, but I'm not seeing a reason to pay the huge opportunity cost of investing in 3rd tier walls.

An interesting change would be making her golden ages always epics... but that would punish my eyes too much.

Maybe +1 extra golden age belief? That wouldn't be too overpowered.

IMO, Georgia's biggest buff in GS was the introduction of diplomatic favor. If Hungary isn't in the game, there is nothing stopping Tamar from suzeraining literally every single city state on the map (other than people killing them, but Tamar gets protectorate wars). Tamar rolls around in diplomatic favor and she has relative ownership of the world congress (or as much as you can have with the Civ 6 WC system). The fact that Tamar has so much favor to spare means she can trade favor with the AI for gold early and easily, setting herself up for success. Since GS, Tamar is always rich.

Georgia doesn't have bonuses towards cultural victory, but they're heavily encouraged to take that route anyway. Faith tends to pair better with culture than science, and Tamar's focus on city states means she wants to be going through the cultural tree to get as many envoys as she can.

The only benefit to Tsikhe imo is, sadly, the new Military Research card that gives +2 science for renaissance walls. The Tsikhe only takes a few turns to build, and them acting as basically libraries is actually quite nice when you're mainly focusing on culture. Are the walls worth it? No, not really. But hey, they're better than they were.

Georgia is largely the same as they were before GS, but Tamar's ability to rake in favor is not to be underestimated.

So apparently Tsikhe cost 265 compared to Renaissance Walls 305. I don't know why it's considered okay to half the cost of a unique district in civs with those but they can't do that for the Tsikhe which is a replacement for a useless building. I understand that some uniques are just plain better than others but the disparity between getting a half-priced industrial zone or commerce hub versus getting a 15% discount on useless walls seems a bit much. I guess in devs minds the khevsur and golden age bonuses are so strong they get a useless infrastructure?

EDIT: or maybe I should be thinking of the Tsikhe as 130 prod since you're never building them without the policy card in? I don't know if that's how the math works but I suppose that would explain why they didn't make them that much cheaper, any more and they would be free. However, now that Mali exists and you can fill out their commerce hub in one turn with only a little bit of faith it seems VERY weak by comparison.

An idea I just came up with, Georgia should get a wall production bonus during golden ages that stacks with the 100% prod policy card. The walls are still pretty useless but the opportunity cost of building them is much lower.

I think if they rebalance diplo victory to be much faster (or nerf the others to be slower) or make diplo favor more relevant, Georgia will move to to being a relatively mid/lower high tier civ. Nobody is better than Georgia at keeping lots of CS allies, except maybe Greece.

The Tsikhe is useless though. I think it should be reworked entirely. A simple and significant fix would be making it not require the lower levels of walls, and to never go obsolete. But its tourism focus doesn't really jive with Georgia's now-diplomacy focus; how about +1 enjoy points per turn, up to +2 if the city is at max loyalty (which is likely to be often since Georgia is very good at getting golden ages)?

I'm really not sure why the Tsikhe replaces Renaissance walls, anyway. Shouldn't it be a Medieval wall? I mean, Tamar was... 12th Century?

The going theory is that they wanted the unique appearance to remain in place for the rest of the game and not be overlaid by the generic renaissance walls.

For a really powerful Georgia start use the TSL Europe map. Nice isolation, more hills than you know what to do with and several close city states, most importantly Yerevan so you apostles get to pick their promotions. The ensuing religious victory is a forgone conclusion!

Also in GS the world congress +100% production to city center event seems really popular with the AI so that would really make the Tsikhe inexpensive, so there is that.

Still a weaker civ but fun to play.

I queued up my first Georgia game ever today, inspired by this post. I got Arabia to my south and Aztecs on the other side of a mountain range to the west, I forward settled the aztecs to lock down the strategic mountain passes and to get them to declare war on me to get the eureka bonus. I have the 3 city-states near me suzerained but it's increasingly more expensive to do so because there's a lot of competition and I can't get my faith to them.

A couple things: I am in the medieval era right now, a couple scientific states and +5 campuses have skyrocketed me through the tech tree. However, even beelining for their khevsurs (i built a spearman for the first time ever just for the military tactics eureka lol) they are quite difficult to hard-build in meaningful numbers. Also, I could get musketman very soon so it's just a total waste. I would've avoided them altogether if it weren't for the need for me to militarily conquer the Arabs to wipe out their religion and also the Aztecs because they spawned near 7 city-states somehow and they're grabbing up all the suzerainties and wiping them out. I can't get my religion to spread yet because these are the greatest religious powers in the game so I've had to focus all faith on monumentality builders to develop my kingdom and they've spread their faith like madmen.

I believe that in the Renaissance I may start to spread my faith and take advantage of Georgia's bonuses but so far it's been very difficult to. My empire is great and all but that's just as a result of the great terrain and good settling choices, Arabia was also very passive and weak in the south focusing all their energy on god knows what, I think they got very hamstrung by starting around all flat terrain and building hanging gardens. I have walls in all my cities and have just locked down Monarchy so I may actually get around to building these tsikhes, god knows I need the faith. I want to get Chapel so I can start faith buying units but faith is honestly so scarce and I wish I could declare a protectorate war but for some reason Monty decided to suzerain every city-state ever, its very weird behavior from him.

One thing about Tamar that is satisfying is seeing 15 envoys+ in every city states and seeing them lit up in their awe (/pity) of Georgia.

One thing I’ve noticed about her is that she is quite wonder heavy. Apadana, Kilwa and Osteochasjaoaisnsoaons(sp? :) ) are quite essential on Georgia so I tend to take wonder increasing things where I can.

It would be lovely if she had some sort of production bonus for having walls. Like 5% in the city for each walk, and if you have a Tshike in a golden age, double it. That I would be keen on...

Also, FOR REAL, remove the need to research protectorate war and give it from the off. It comes so late and the AI goes for city states so early

Top Bottom