Answer to Tommynth about lack of competition in civ5 MP

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

Warlord
This is the reality of Civ5 MP. We are maybe about 100-150 players who are active in the so called “pro civ5 mp community” (NQ and CP) and none of us are pro. The crème de la crème are actually amateurs. Most of us are 30+, Most of us got full time jobs, hobbies (apart from civ5), we like to go out and have a beer with friends once in a while, we got girlfriends or wives, maybe a kid or two and a dog. We are all amateurs who try to cram in a bit of civ5 between cooking for the family, do our jobs, walking the dog and drive the kids to school.
You know all this. You are probably in the same position yourself. I know you are good. Way better than anyone else right now. But let’s face it. In SC2 there are thousands of players who dedicate a huge number of hours to the game. Not to talk down on your skill level. You are by far the best civ5 MP player. But In Civ5 your biggest competition are some 30+ men who play for fun when they got time for it between work and girlfriend.
You are the best of the crème de la crème but the crème de la crème is more like the local amateur football club than the champions’ league.
The lack of good players at your level is simply a result of civ5 MP scène being so small and consisting of mainly adults with plenty of other things to do apart from playing civ5. Maybe it has do with civ being a strategic game a bit like chess if you like. Civ MP probably attracts older players in general than say SC2. But with that also comes that older players usually do not have as much time for the gaming as they once did.

Way to stroke his overbloated ego even more.

Tommynt's problem is not that his skill is above most others (I have yet to see proof of that, but for the sake of the argument, let's assume this is so). His problem is that he has absolutely no social skills or tact. The way he formulates his answers/requests/opinions are simply insulting and lack any decency. Every statement includes an insult, whether explicit or implicit, but it does.

You don't go out and start your posts with "you all suck in kindergarden and I can find no one even close to my mad skillz". He doesn't even seem to be interested in productive discussion or actually accepting that there might be some other players that could be a match for him. Honestly, I doubt he is as good as he claims, but again, this is besides the point.

Now I need to go out before a mod starts throwing around infractions. :D

Moderator Action: Such pure troll posts are one reason why discussions in the internet are sometimes aweful. Don't make such posts.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Its not stroking his ego. It is one thing to be best at SC2 with thousends of active MP players and another to be best at the local bar so o say.

And yes he is as good as he says compared to the rest of us. We are about say 40 players in NQ and CP that are the top MP players. If I try a game against random people from the civ5 lobby with any number of oponents I win every time and I m only ranked 30 ish. (20 something in duels)

I ve played most players in top 20, and most in top 10 several times. All of us are good. But when playing each other we win some and we loose some because the difference between the no 5 and the no 20 isn t that big. Tommynth is the exception. He is the only one with a +40 win streak.

so yes in MP he is good.

KM: As I said, if he is good or not is besides the point. That was not my argument at all.

But I see your point. I can't just add much to it as I don't do MP. I would like to try, but I do think I am not strong enough for it plus I simply don't have the time for it.

1: Yes this is stroking his overbloated ego.
Moderator Action: And this point is trolling.
2: This thread should not have been made.

1. With all due respect I think you are missing the point here. Complaining about civ MP not offering enough competition is like complaining about the local fotball club not playing at the level of FC barcelona. We are mainly a bunch of nice guys with jobs and some of us familly that play civ MP when we have time. He is the best, so what? Complaining about beeing the best thought has no purpuse because if you do you dont see what the civ5 MP player base are made of. And beeing the best isn t really something to brag about since the competition are what we are and we play for fun in the litle sparetime we got.

2. hrmm yeah well... mabye

3. We r mainly just a bunch of nice guys playing CIV5 MP in CP and NQ, so if you want a fun MP experience no matter the level you think you r at feel free to join.

Agreed. Why not put it in the already created thread? (And if that's closed (I haven't bothered to check) then that was probably for a reason).

If you want to discuss why young people don't find Civ MP attractive, that's another matter though.

Way to stroke his overbloated ego even more.

Tommynt's problem is not that his skill is above most others (I have yet to see proof of that, but for the sake of the argument, let's assume this is so). His problem is that he has absolutely no social skills or tact. The way he formulates his answers/requests/opinions are simply insulting and lack any decency. Every statement includes an insult, whether explicit or implicit, but it does.

You don't go out and start your posts with "you all suck in kindergarden and I can find no one even close to my mad skillz". He doesn't even seem to be interested in productive discussion or actually accepting that there might be some other players that could be a match for him. Honestly, I doubt he is as good as he claims, but again, this is besides the point.

Now I need to go out before a mod starts throwing around infractions. :D

this is like music to my ears. Bravo, bravo!!:clap::clap::clap:
Moderator Action: Don't troll around.

(And if that's closed (I haven't bothered to check) then that was probably for a reason).

Moderator Action: This.
And if you want to talk to someone, then do it via PM, don't open a thread.
-> thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom