Any DDS/Alpha/Gimp experts out there ...

whoward69

DLL Minion
... who could tidy these up for me?

(They're on a white background, which when I set the alpha channel to colour white gives the pin a greenish hue. Also need the "halo"around the pin head removing.)

TIA

W

Try these...its seems they were not transparent from what I can figure!

Attachments

• Pins updated.zip
    63.9 KB · Views: 26
Thanks.

Better (and certainly usable)

Think I was trying to be too clever with Gimp (white background pin jpegs placed on a white canvas in Gimp and then trying to set the alpha channel - should have created jpeg pins on a trans bg and placed them on a trans canvas!)

The "halos" can be tidied up at a later date (ie probably never ;) )

Whilst on the topic of graphics...

Is there anyway to make the game use PNG icon atlases instead of DDS for building, units etc.

I noticed the image quality drops significantly which is bugging me.

That's an easy one ... No

Really?

Why would they purposely disable it from using common formats? I can understand why games use those rare formats (to prevent easy access to the files), but...

EDIT: It's a lossy format, on top of that. Can you use uncompressed dds files then...?

Really?

Why would they purposely disable it from using common formats? I can understand why games use those rare formats (to prevent easy access to the files), but...

.dds isn't a rare format (although certainly less common than .png. I imagine they didn't "purposely disable it", but rather that they would have to spend significant time setting up a way to read .pngs to make them usable.

EDIT: It's a lossy format, on top of that. Can you use uncompressed dds files then...?

AFAIK, yes.

I can understand why games use those rare formats (to prevent easy access to the files)

DDS is may be a "rare" format (which is debatable) - but it is the native format for DirectX, so the decision is understandable (although why they then messed around with it storing images in multiple files is beyond me!)

I'll give it a try and see how it looks. I assume I can open the contents of the zip in Photoshop; I'll download it now.

So what's the reason for splitting them up into 2 files?

Is one like unpacking info/how to use the image in game, and the other the actual graphic, or what?

EDIT:

On a slightly related note, is there a way to get Powerpoint 2010 to note interpolate an image that's inserted into it?

I'm using the cutout effect in it to make unit icons and such for a mod, and GIMP doesn't have a filter like that, so it's my only option right now.

Oh, and it's re-sizing them too. I copy paste some of the image from GIMP to powerpoint, and it is clearly interpolated in powerpoint, and when I copy and paste it back into gimp, it's like 40% bigger, too.

A plugin for GIMP that doies this would be nice, PS has that filter, too.

Here's a try at it. I zipped the PSD file with the alpha channel and also the DDS file of the blue pin.

I can create the others if that one turned out well.

Attachments

• Pin44Blue.zip
    11.9 KB · Views: 35
Top Bottom