Any point in earning science and culture after I have all the techs/civics?

hucker

Warlord
I'm playing on domination victory only. Do I get any benefit for science and culture after I've got all the techs/civics?

Ideally you can win by domination well before you get through either tree. If you find that is not the case, you can probably benefit from optimizing your path to victory. With GS, I believe you get a stacking 5% production bonus to projects, which could be useful in context. By the time you exhaust the civics tree, I do not think governor titles or diplomatic favor will be of much use.

If I win a game before I get through the trees, I'm on too easy a level.

What is GS?

Governor promotions are certainly useful well after the civics tree is exhausted.

Diplomatic favour is useful for persuading folk to fight or not fight, and also you can sell it.

So I'll take it as a yes.

Ah GS is gathering storm. I wish people wouldn't make acronyms out of everything.

On that note, I have gathering storm and rising tide. I pick one when I start playing, does that mean the other add on doesn't take effect?

I think I started the last game as gathering storm, but I'm getting all the things listed in each.

Last edited:
GS ( ;P ) comes with all of the features (but not leaders/wonders and things like that if you dont own that expansion) of R&F as well but R&F does not come with the ones of GS (Rising Tides was Civ:BE I think).

I think their point is, if you get through both trees before losing, you're on too easy a level.
"Ideally you can win by domination well before you get through either tree." does not mean that.

I like to play at a level where I will probably win, but with difficulty and take a long time to do so.

Completing both trees does not strike me as optimal when pursuing domination. For a Classical civilization on a Pangaea map, for instance, there is a drop-off in how useful science and culture are approaching the final push. Of course science and culture matter up to that point, but that can be well before one completes either tree. I would also add there is no need to optimize for domination when there are many other parts of the game to enjoy.

No idea what you're talking about. You do use Giant Death Robots right? Well they need most of the trees.

Everything other than domination seems boring and pointless to me. What could be better than taking over the world? Why would I want some other player to win because he got something I can't even see his progress on?

If you are pushing with GDRs, then, yes, you have a lot of tech ahead of you. If you aim to push with bombers, artillery, or frigates, there is less of the tree to cover. But why wait when you could start earlier with unique units like Maryannu Archers, Legions, or Hetairoi? There is discussion elsewhere on the site about how early and with which units to push, what with walls as they are. I would say it boils down to optimizing for your final push. On larger maps with lots of water and inland capitals, it can definitely take longer.

Here is a series that readily comes to mind where Potato McWhiskey goes Legions into Artillery without reaching the Future Era in technology or civics:

I use what I have at the time. Gain some cities from weaker civs early on, then build robots to destroy the last of them.

ROFL! That guy in the picture, I used to work with a doppelganger of him! A music teacher.

Yes, it earns you extra points. Most people think you shouldn't play a full game through to the end, instead you should win nice and early. Hence the reason GDRs are in the game - they are a massive FU from the 'elite gamers' to the minority of players who like to play through to the end of the tech tree.

Winning early means it's set too easy, I want the win to be a long drawn out struggle. I only stop the game when it's obvious I'm going to win (I only play for domination and actually completing that is tedious when I'm controlling half the world).

I've no idea what a GDR is, please don't use acronyms.

I worked out FU though!

Winning early means it's set too easy, I want the win to be a long drawn out struggle. I only stop the game when it's obvious I'm going to win (I only play for domination and actually completing that is tedious when I'm controlling half the world).

I've no idea what a GDR is, please don't use acronyms.

I worked out FU though!

The game-breaking Giant Death Robots.

The late game is very neglected in Civ. For example you can constantly rebuild and decommission power plants to cheese a diplo victory (when the climate change accord is passed in the world congress). Very cheesy and unsatisfying.

The game-breaking Giant Death Robots.
Ah, I was confusing it with the EU crap about cookies. I think that's GDPR. The most annoying thing on the web.
The late game is very neglected in Civ. For example you can constantly rebuild and decommission power plants to cheese a diplo victory (when the climate change accord is passed in the world congress). Very cheesy and unsatisfying.
I just don't play diplomatic victory. A victory is seeing your enemy die. I fight wars properly, to the death. Like we used to in the real world before we went all soft.

Actually, the late civ game as you describe is just like the real world with it's stupid carbon credits.

The phrase under your cat photo is not what I would put. Mine don't constantly need fed, they constantly go to the toilet. Again and again. Same volume as I do as a human weighing 15 times a cat. They're not designed very efficiently.

Top Bottom