Any Rugby fans?

¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

Chieftain
Do you think Ireland can win a Grand Slam in the Six Nations? Saracens to take the Gallagher Cup?

Yes. The bigger questions are now can Ireland finally win a quarter final at the rugby world cup, and can USA manage to qualify for the 2027 Rugby World Cup!?

Got up at 7 am on a Saturday to watch Namibia play Italy. That is what a dedicated rugby fan I am!

Matches I've been able to see so far:

France-New Zealand
Ireland-Romania
S. Africa-Scotland
Wales-Fiji
Ireland-Tonga
Ireland-S. Africa
Scotland-Tonga

I had to take a knee and throw some water on my face last weekend. :lol:

This weekend, I hope to see Ireland-Scotland on Saturday (S. Africa coach warning Ireland off fixing the match? :nono: ); Japan-Argentina and Fiji-Portugal on Sunday. No disrespect to Australia, but I'm kind of pulling for Fiji (I'm mad at myself for missing that match, although I guess I could go back and watch it, if I wanted to).

Knockout Rounds:

Wales v winner of Argentina-Japan
Ireland v New Zealand, probably
- Winners meet in the semi-final. Wales-Ireland? I'm genetically obliged to support Ireland.

England v Fiji, provided Fiji win this weekend; if not, then England v Australia
France v S. Africa, probably
- Winners meet in the semi-final. England-??? I don't know who I favor out of France-S. Africa. I guess France, but it feels wrong to have an all-Northern Hemi Final Four in a RWC.

The draft made things super hard for the best southern hemisphere nations. 4 european teams in the semi finals wouldn't surprise everyone for the first time ever. I think our injury problems make it more likely for SA to qualify, then destroy England or Fidji (I'm rooting for Fidji) and give us a great final against Ireland.

I hope any team other than South Africa or New Zealand wins (as they have both won more then enough times already). Realistically this means I hope Ireland or France wins!
Have to say I thought when they chose France to host the World Cup that this was a boring choice. However the crowds and atmosphere in every game have been A+ even when the teams are releatively minor, or the match is likely a no contest. So good job so far France. :hatsoff:

I think Argentina-Japan was the most entertaining game I've seen so far. :clap: Australians must be really mad with their team now, after Fiji loses and still advances. Ireland-New Zealand and France-S. Africa would each be a satisfying final, and it's only the quarters. Anyone picking any upsets? I suppose NZ over Ireland would technically be an upset, but that sounds weird to even say out loud. I'm picking all of the European sides, but I wouldn't mind if Argentina or Fiji found some magic. I think I'm hoping for Ireland & France in the final. The quarters are all on Saturday & Sunday, so I should be able to watch all four games. One of the semifinals - hopefully Ireland - is on a Friday, in the middle of the afternoon here, so I'll have to avoid spoilers and watch it when I get home.

The semi final that will be played on friday 20th is Wales/Argentina vs Ireland/NZ.

Excitement is building here in Ireland.
Any guess what percentage of the crowd will be Irish?

I know the crowd is gonna be 2/80000th me and my friend, but beyond that not sure. Most likely the stadium will have more green than black.

Random observations...

This is the 10th Rugby World Cup. Previous winners:
New Zealand, 3 times
South Africa, 3 times
Australia, twice
England

The host country has won a World Cup twice, New Zealand in 1987 and again in 2011.

Ireland are 24-0-16 in World Cup matches. They have reached the World Cup quarterfinals 7 times, but have never reached a semi-final.
New Zealand are 52-0-8 in World Cup matches. Their worst finish was in 2007, a quarterfinal loss to France.

New Zealand went 27-1-0 in test matches against Ireland from 1905 to 2016, but Ireland have won 5 of the last 8 matches.
New Zealand defeated Ireland in the quarters of the last World Cup, 46-14.

Ireland pack weight: ~900kg
NZ pack weight: ~930kg

Heaviest player in Ire-NZ starting XVs: Tyrel Lomax, NZ prop, 129kg / 284 lbs
Heaviest player on either team: Tamaiti Williams, NZ prop, 140kg / 300 lbs
Tallest player in Ire-NZ starting XVs: Brodie Retallick, NZ second row, 204cm / 6' 8"
Stade De France seats 80,023 for rugby.

New Zealand perform the "Ka Mate" haka before their group-stage match with Italy, Sept 29, 2023 (which they won 96-17):

Anyone picking any upsets?

No, I think the pool winners will all win. However if any pool runner ups win, I would not be surpised. I give Wales, Ireland, France and England all around a 55% chance of winning.

Here are the betting odds I saw a few days ago.
Wales (world ranked 7 and 4/7) v Argentina (wr8 and 7/4)
Ireland (wr1 and 7/9) v NZ (wr4 and 13/10)
England (wr6 and 4/11) v Fiji (wr10 and 45/17)
France (wr2 and 5/6) v SA (wr3 and 5/4)

England are considered by the bookies as the most likely to reach the semi-finals but at the same time their odds for them winning the whole thing have again lengthened to 14 to 1.

I think from a neutrals perspective the best possible semifinal line up is:
France (as any tournament is better when the hosts are still involved) vs Fiji (would be the first time a tier 2 team would reach a semi final)
Ireland (they have more then earned getting to finally win a QF match) vs Argentina (the Rugby Championship should have at least one representative).

I think the quarterfinal matches may prove to be more entertaining then the semi final matches.

Now that the pool stage is behind us, what do people think was the worst performance of the pool stage?
A. Argentina against England
B. Australia against Wales
C. Italy against New Zealand
D. Something else

I don't count Italy because the hopes for them were low. In terms of how they played it's probably Argentina against England because they were completely awful in how they used and handled the ball. In term of actual result and how surprising it was, definitely Australia. 40-6 is a score that doesn't exist with the welsh team, so wow.
No other teams were actual disappointments, many of them actually overperforming either score wise or with how they played.

At least 40k Irish fans I think. Perhaps 25k french fans, 12k NZ and the rest are south Africa fans

Attachments

• IMG_20231014_182459.jpg
    IMG_20231014_182459.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
Ireland!
Ireland!
Together standing tall

I may or may not be on my second Guinness already. Here comes the haka...

Little bit of a slow start for The Green Machine, but I think we're okay. 17-18 at halftime isn't so bad. Feels like the momentum is on our side. Fun match so far. I've switched to one of the local lagers. Boy, I'd kill for a plate of fries. Didn't think of that when I was at the store last night.

Two great matches today, but I am so disapointed for Ireland.
I would really like someone different to win the World Cup.
Lets hope Dupont hits the ground running tomorrow, France are now realistically the only team standing between another New Zeland or South Africa victory (no offense Argentina and Fiji).

Yeah, definitely pulling for England or France now.

Top Bottom