Any way the beginning of the game isn't so tedious?

KhahanGunn

Chieftain
I love the first 3 Civs. Still play them. There are aspects of Civ6 that I love. But I just can't get to them. The beginning of the is so tedious. The speed at which you build things is a drag. The movement without roads is a drag. Not being able to move units together is a drag. Until you get to about 5 cities, this game just isn't fun for me. And getting to those 5 cities is, well, a drag. Is there something I'm missing about the early game or should I just stick with CivIII for good early game action?

Yeah, I have to say, the early part is the most exciting for me...maybe try a game with a medieval start? Or later? That might be what youre looking for.

If you are not aware, under the 'advanced start options' you can choose to start in a later age (even information era). It gives you extra settlers/units to start, and things get build much quicker to begin (i.e. 1 turn districts and the like). You could give that a try.

You might be a good candidate for trying my Combined Tweaks Mod (link in my sig). It tends to boost early game a bit, at least depending on your early civ choices. It also provides extra movement to units. I couldn't deal with the movement system in Civ 6. I had a mod ready within the first 5 days LOL.

Most people here (including me) would say that the early game is fun while the late game is the drag :crazyeye:

But you could edit the starting units so that you begin with say a Builder, extra Settler, Scout, etc, that would probably speed things up fairly nicely.
Totally agree... the early part of the midgame or late part of earlygame is my favorite part. Exploring and making vital infrastructure. The game hasn't devolved into having 100 units to move around each turn yet. I often quit after the renaissance

Totally agree... the early part of the midgame or late part of earlygame is my favorite part. Exploring and making vital infrastructure. The game hasn't devolved into having 100 units to move around each turn yet. I often quit after the renaissance

You should probably try to play with a little less units lol. 20-30 units should be more than enough even for a Deity domination victory. For peaceful victories you can often play with just 5-10 properly upgraded unities fortified in your cities in case someone declares a war on you (and your five allies).

Thanks all. I'll try out the movement mod. That may help a bit. Like I said, there is a lot I really do like about the game. Its just getting to those points.

As some others have already said, using advanced options to start in an era other than Ancient speeds things up, especially when combined with playing a civ that begins to shine in a particular era, like Germany in the Medieval era with their hansa.

I almost always start in Classical. It's an advanced start but you're actually still starting in ancient times, on the cusp of a new era.

I play Classical cos I mostly play on very large maps cos it helps with late game settling and also non-dom victories are more accessible.

Top Bottom