Anybody managed 'Silk Road' achievement?

This is an interesting point.

For a while now, I've been wondering what this means. I haven't played Iroquois yet, but this may be a reason to try them now.

Yes, roads extend the range of caravans.

I think I might know what the problem is. The achievement says caravans, and I suspect some of my routes were conducted by a caravansary. Seems petty since they're both land-based; the only difference is the latter has longer range, but I wonder if that's not it. I only just now figured out what the difference between the two was.

I think I might know what the problem is. The achievement says caravans, and I suspect some of my routes were conducted by a caravansary. Seems petty since they're both land-based; the only difference is the latter has longer range, but I wonder if that's not it. I only just now figured out what the difference between the two was.

No, I just realized the caravansary is a building, not a trade route. I still have no idea why I couldn't earn the achievement.

Just got Raiders of the Lost Ark. Hot Seat is a great way to get it. It would literally almost be impossible to come up during a normal game.

No, I just realized the caravansary is a building, not a trade route. I still have no idea why I couldn't earn the achievement.

I've managed this one as Venice on a small (6 civ) map. Things that might help, as I did these:

All trade routes coming out of one city.
All trade routes going to original AI capitals.
All Caravans (I did have the caravansary).

I don't think I launched them all on the same turn though.

Just got Raiders of the Lost Ark. Hot Seat is a great way to get it. It would literally almost be impossible to come up during a normal game.

Yes, I did that one that way too (although I left Egypt as a AI).

I see the achievement list as having some good lateral thinking challenges in there.

Yes, but roads extend the range of caravans. Having open borders, lets you use the AI's roads.... which gives your caravans significantly more range (unlimited range on connected landmass maps, where everyone's built railroads).

Or so I thought.

this was my understanding, i think MaddJinn mentioned it in his video

From my perspective, "achievements" are arbitrary. And if you know you've done it, what does it matter if the game tells you know done it or not?

There is nothing to "be done" if the achievement is not there though. I like achievements because they keep the game interesting for me and make me try to play in creative ways to get things I never would have bothered trying to do. I also like to try to unlock as many achievements as I can at once. I have gotten at least 3 in all of my games so far.

Ah, well, that's understandable. I just ignore lists of things to do when I play games (if they're superfluous to the actual gameplay). I need to work on completing more games, come to think of it.

Gameplay commitment issues :lol:

I made all of my trade routes come from 1 city. It didn't kick in until after I made a trade route from my capital to another one of my own cities.

Maybe do it on Large Islands?

When you get 5 caravans, found 5 cities on the large island, hand it over to each civ, then trade route to each of them?

That might kinda kill the epic feel of accomplishment though.

I just accomplished this achievement. I did it on a normal pangea as Venice. I picked the other civs obviously. It was a piece of cake actually.

Some achievements are not very well coded... I got the achievement "Where's the Biathlon?" by an AI Denmark bringing the Norwegian Ski Inf into a snow/hill tile or whatever. Which makes little sense from the standpoint of most achievements needing you to be the one doing something, not an AI.

I wouldn't be surprised if the achievement is just poorly coded and/or bugged out.

I got Greed is Good from a multiplayer game today, and no one civilization even fit the requirements for it. (had to have Petra, Collosus, market and caravansary, but the wonders were split between 2 civs anyways.)

I got this achievement with these 5 civs only as the opponents on a standard pangaea map with no CS. I started in classic period and quick pace.

This is an interesting point.

For a while now, I've been wondering what this means. I haven't played Iroquois yet, but this may be a reason to try them now.

Caravans have a range based on where they can reach. I think the range starts as 10 movement points, but increases at certain techs.

The iroquois UA basically means caravans treat forest/jungle as if there were roads built there, so they can reach cities further away.

Got it last game, played as the Moor with the required civs plus Portugal. standard Pangea, I think the caravans were all to capitals but definitely from different cities.

Top Bottom