Anyone else miss the Advanced Start option?

bigeeze

Chieftain
Advanced start was a feature that I was a huge fan of in Civ 4. So I was kind of sad to see it gone in Civ 5. So I was wondering if anyone else actually used it beside me. I just loved the feeling of having that one huge turn at the start of the game.

sorry cant say i do, i think i tried it once, but i like building my empire from the start of the game. thats the fun for me

I used it a couple of times because I used to get so frustrated losing my scout on a forested hill to a lion.

Now that you mention it though, it is kind of strange that feature isn't there. Should be easy to add as a mod.

I too want advanced start. I like to be able to choose my start position without having to spend an extra turn to move my settler.

Yeah I liked the extra options. You could drop 4 cities with two workers or if there was marble or stone around do two cities, masonry tech and a quarry for early wonders.

it's not exactly a replacement, but depending what era you start in, you will start with certain units and a certain number of workers/settlers etc

I never used it but what is the difference between advance start and changing the starting era in the advance options. I just assumed it was the same with a different name.

I do not miss the advanced start but what i do miss is always peace/war and cultural conversions. Too bad they took out half of the advanced options.

I never used it but what is the difference between advance start and changing the starting era in the advance options. I just assumed it was the same with a different name.

Advanced Start allows you to start off with a city or two, some units, and improvements already built.

It was a really fun feature for me. You would start off with a lump sum of gold, and you'd be able to buy cities, units, tile improvements (roads, cottages, farms) and even technologies. Obviously whether you spend more on technologies or cities or units was up to you.

I really enjoyed this feature. I would always add an extra thousand or so coins and totally miss out the initial 40-50 turns of an Epic game. Gave it a really nice injection of fun, skipping out all those end turn turns.

I used it all the time in coop MP games to get past the first few turns of nothing but "next turn". It was great for getting the game going faster.

Advanced Start allows you to start off with a city or two, some units, and improvements already built.

To be a bit more accurate, you had a certain amount of points to buy your cities, troops(max 2 per city bourght) settlers, workers, buildings, improvements and tech. you didnt need to change the era unless you wanted in the main options, I used to use it to save reloading loads of times cause the location of the settler stank.

Yeah you could even buy unexplored tiles so you could see whether you had a nice starting location.

Never liked it very much. Somehow I always seemed to choose for the wrong thing and got off to a bad start compared to the ai.

I've used that a few times in cIV. It was actually kind of fun.

A little thing I know but it's just another thing lacking from ciV. Might of actually helped the incompetent AI since it sometimes doesn't expand as it should. Maybe not though, knowing how crappy the AI is. :p

Top Bottom