1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone going to read the manual before playing?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Disgustipated, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Sylmarr

Sylmarr Chieftain

If the manual is available before the game is playable (like when you can pre-load the game) maybe, just to see if there is anything on things that has not be showed yet (like spying).

If not well I'll be spending some time in the civilopedia as usual to learn what I need during the first few games.

2. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Civ IV was my first Civ, and that still had a hearty manual that I would thumb through a lot. I think I may have briefly read the Civ V PDF manual (IIRC it was leaked before release?) But the in-game Civilopedia was my go-to for information in game.

If there is a PDF manual for Civ VI and it's somehow available before the game unlocks then sure I'll read it like any good CivFanatic! But as soon as the game is available for me to pay, I just want to jump right in. I've been waiting long enough, and to be honest, having had a drip feed of information over the last few months from First Looks, CivFanatics, and Arioch's site, I'm hardly going in blind :lol:.

FooTooAy likes this.
  3. darko82

darko82 Emperor

In fact, civilopedia is the biggest manual you can find. Why would you need a digital one in PDF? Only printed one makes sense to me.

4. Dedrytus

Dedrytus Warlord

Manual... Manual... Never heard of him. Is he member of this forum? ;-)

5. Oleary

Oleary OF Supporter

I knew him well when I was younger man. Last name is labor.
    I hope there is a manual just for grins but as others have said, too much info here, pedias, etc...

6. racha

racha Warlord

I think the last game manual I read was for Rebellion (or Supremacy, depending on where you live). Learn by dying in a ball of fire, or if you're facing Sumeria, a horde of donkey carts.

7. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Hell no. I've even been avoiding a lot of the gameplay videos, my first game on Deity will be vicious, I will get crushed, and I will love it.

8. AlazkanAssassin

AlazkanAssassin Engineer

A manual was for reading while your mom drove you home from the store, and for while it is installing off the CD.
    Except for civ 1, that is. Those copyright checks took a while to memorize.

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

A paper manual would be quickly obsolete. There's no need to even crease the binding. I plan to use the civilopedia as needed to fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

10. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

I'll read the manual if it is available before the game, OTOH probably only glance at it if it comes out after the game to see if I missed anything.

11. Haggbart

Haggbart King

No, can't see the need. I might check the civilopedia.

12. Sprenk

Sprenk Prince

I remember the days of manuals. And the days of typewriters, and slide rules, and . . . .

13. Bino

Bino Warlord

I think last time i have read a manual was with Beyond the Sword, having bought a physical version (maybe my last one). Part of the fun was unpacking and tasting the contents, now, with Steam alas that feeling is gone.

14. X_nemesis_X

X_nemesis_X Chieftain

Men dont read manuals ;) but seriously, I'll probably read it on my way to work or any other spare time when I'm not able to play. I read and watch everything about civ 6 anyway. No way I waste potential gaming time for that though.

15. BigChiefLizzy

BigChiefLizzy Warlord

Don't remember the copyright checks in civ 1; in fact I remember making backup copies of the floppy disks because the manual said to do it! No hard drive, so the disks died after swapping them too much.

As to reading manuals TIL that Civ IV came with a manual (I just found the box)... :lol:

Falcon 3.0 a flightsim that came out in about 1991, now that had a big manual. I didn't need to read it though I could crash the F-16 very well without it :)

16. Mort_Q

Mort_Q Prince

If there's a pdf I can download to my phone, I have some bus time I can occupy. If it's only in-game, then I suspect I will jump in and see what's intuitive.

17. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

And with the civilopedia you get all of the obsolescence immediately! :)
    It starts out incomplete and inaccurate and you get to see that grow before your very eyes more and more each day. :)

FooTooAy likes this.
  18. Oleary

Oleary OF Supporter

That made me chuckle. And they were 5.25 floppies at that weren't they? Those were a PITA.

19. Silverdawn

Silverdawn Prince

If you buy the digital download, a paper manual isn't useful because you just download the game. Steam provides PDF versions of the game manuals. The Civ 5 one is 334 pages. If someone does want a print copy, they can print out the PDF.

PDFs are easier to search.

20. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

I'll often check out the PDF one in response to specific queries I have where the civilopedia is lacking; especially in my first few games.

FooTooAy likes this.