Anyone know this problem with Windows 7?

Civ Vicious

Chieftain
Hi, I've just done a fresh install of Windows 7 on my old Compaq Presario SR1705UK, and I have come across the same problem as I did last time.

That Civilization IV will not work because Windows 7 automatically installs a driver for my integrated graphics which is "ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series" that is useless. If I try to update the driver it says that it's updated.

Now, I checked online and all the answers are that Windows 7 does not support ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series because it's old, so download the VISTA one and that will work.

However, Windows 7 DOES support this graphics card. And it downloads somehow when you update everything. The trouble I have now though is that Windows 7 takes FOREVER to update. I even left it on for a whole night. I just left it for 2 hours and it didn't update. No doubt it will try and update my system with 270 odd updates.

Does anyone know there way around this problem? The reason I made a fresh install was because my computer was SOO slow running Civilization and I had a virus I just could not get rid of.

The other thing, because I know I'll come to it. How exactly do I install 3.19 patch? Will I have to install 3.17 patch first?

Thanks

Since I am not familiar with your hardware, I can't answer the first part of your question. However, to avoid the problem in the future, once you get it working, make a backup that you never update. That way if you have to reinstall again in the future, you will have a virus free operational system with which you can just replace your corrupted one. (Someone who is familiar with your hardware will most likely be along soon and answer your first question.)

As to the second question: Download the patches from the Civ4 drop down menu (at the top of the page) selection "Patch & Update". The patches are exe files, so just run them and they will do their patching and updating, with you answering questions from the Wizard as needed. Depending on which source you select from the Patch page, they might be zipped, so just unzip them before running them. Whether or not you need to install 3.17 first depends on the version that you already have. Some will need to be updated to 3.17 before 3.19 will install, some don't. I would recommend trying to install 3.19 initially. If it works, you are all done. If not, install 3.17 and then 3.19. There is also a thread in the stickies section above this thread called "Sticky: Installing Civ 4 on Windows 7/Vista (32-/64-bit)" by kiwitt, which does a nice job of guiding you through the process.

Thanks for the reply. I started a new Windows Update search after I completed this thread and I'm still waiting for this Windows Update to complete, it's just stuck on "Checking for Updates". :cry:

It looks like the gods don't want me to play CIV IV, because the reason I asked about Patch 3.19 was because I actually tried playing CIV IV on a laptop with Win7 and I had problems with installing that patch. I can't remember the error code. But then the charger to that laptop broke.

I have the Complete Edition, I think it comes with Patch 1.74 or something.

Anyway, hopefully I won't have problems with it this time once I get my Graphics driver updated to the proper one.

Finally installed the update to my graphics card. I left it on all night. Windows 7 servers are absolutely terrible since Windows 10.

Anyway, I still had a problem with patch 3.19. It said

CIVILIZATION BTS 3.19 PATCH
C:\Users\CivVicious\Downloads\civ4beyondtheswordpatch3.19.zip: Checksum error in C:\Users\CIVVIC~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.522\Civ4BeyondTheSwordPatch3.19.exe. The file is corrupt
C:\Users\CivVicious\Downloads\civ4beyondtheswordpatch3.19.zip: The archive is corrupt
Cannot execute "C:\Users\CIVVIC~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.522\Civ4BeyondTheSwordPatch3.19.exe"

I downloaded it twice just to make sure. So the main downloadable 3.19 file from
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12576

is corrupt, this happened on two computers for me. But the download from GamersHell works.

Top Bottom