Anyone playing both Civ4 and Civ5?

I gave it a long chance. Twice. I would suspect most people who went back to 4 did, too.

I'm still giving a chance to Civ5 but I keep findig myself wanting to play more Civ4. The interesting thing is, it has become much difficult for me to adjust back to Civ4 now. On the other hand, I was playing Civ4 with mods anyway so it's between Civ4 with mods and Civ5 for me.

I'm still giving a chance to Civ5 but I keep findig myself wanting to play more Civ4. The interesting thing is, it has become much difficult for me to adjust back to Civ4 now. On the other hand, I was playing Civ4 with mods anyway so it's between Civ4 with mods and Civ5 for me.

Been trying for weeks to make some sence out of Civ5; played several mod & so on but this version of the game simply doesn`t engage. This one-unit-per-tile kills the gaming.

I went back to CIV IV about 2 months ago primarily because of scenarios. Just seems that CIV 5 is not suitable for historical scenarios. My first game back was quite funny as I built cities and left them unguarded so the barbs just took them! Anyway, I adapted and started building stacks, etc. Not sure which I like better as I have not played CIV 5 since the latest patch. But scenarios and mods is what I miss.

I play civ 4 mostly now. When a new patch comes out for civ 5 I will play it for a few weeks to get a feel for the changes, but Civ 4 is such a better game IMO with the features and the many mods that are available. I am really digging Realism Invictus right now, with its huge earth map and combined arms combat and 15 unit stack limits gives the game a lot of strategic depth.

I play a game of one and then a game of the other. Back and forth. I like Civ 5, but Civ 4 BTS with BUG/BAT is still better for giving a historical immersion experience.

I have tried this but can't.I really don't see how anyone can play both. I mean to like one you would have to really dislike the other.I don't know, just my two cents.

It's pretty easy for me to enjoy playing both, actually. I've especially liked playing Civ 5 over the past month or so to see what all has been patched since I last played it. (several months beforehand, went on a big Fallout 3/ Shogun 2 kick for awhile) I still splash in Civ 4 at least a few times a month. I absolutely love me some RFC and it's derivatives, I've only just discovered RoM: AND this past year, and I'm a mod/scenario junkie in general. For the latter reason, I'll occasionally crack into Civ 3 for the Warhammer and Final Fantasy mods.

Basically, I've been playing entirely too much Civ ever since I started with Civ 4 five years ago.

I have tried this but can't.I really don't see how anyone can play both. I mean to like one you would have to really dislike the other.I don't know, just my two cents.

I would like both, if both of them worked.

Unfortunately, they carry a rather frustrating shared trait: nigh-inexcusably bad UI and a lot of time spent waiting for the game rather than playing it.

Actually I don't think I've ever played the previous Civs anymore once a new one is released. That goes for Civ5 & 4 too, although I might fire up BTS if I'm away and limited to my laptop as V is a bit too much for it to handle.

Just V. I can't look at the ugly squareness of IV anymore. I've been spoiled. I like 1UPT much, much more as well. I don't have the problems with the UI or crashing that other people report. The improvements have finally gotten me to the point where I do "one more turn" to a bladder-damaging degree.

I play both. Civ IV is a more fun and complete game, but there are a lot of things I like about CiV as well.

I love the mods for CivIV and its what keeps me coming back -Legends of Revolution is by far my favorite, if you haven't tried it give it a go!

For CiV, I enjoy the tactical combat but the AI is really poor.

I hated civ5 and normaly play civ4 but sometimes i play civ5 hoping they will fix the issues, but for me civ5 is a let down, the 1upt kind sucks i itehr get a choice of carpet-of-doom or stack-of-doom, atleast in 4 the ai is a challenge, and with mods like Rise of mankind: a new dawn, Civ4 makes 5 look like a piece of ####. so its 4 most of the time, but i going to try and mod 5 and see how it works out.

Well, I'm a semi-serious gamer and like to play a game for the fun of the challenge coupled with the reassurance that I'm so-o-o-o cool I can beat the AI. Ha ha ha, no not really. Anyway, my credentials are well-established on Civ IV. I'm not great, but I'm probably more than ok.

So. I still play Civ IV but I would like to love CivV and am actually playing it more than anything else right now but I am really not sure why :( I *like* low-tech ... for example, I am totally grateful that the game doesn't remember my last settings, because I just can't imagine why I would need them again. Same thing for the game not permitting me to regenerate with my existing settings - I just love entering them again when (after the 15-minute load time) I find that I have a Totally Tundra Tstart.

Terrific :)

I have more comments. But if I add them I'll probably be banished to the "rants" thread, which would be a bit unreasonable given this content ...

I suppose my real question is this: Why didn't CivV carry over all the good stuff from Civ IV eg eg, remembering last settings and regenerate existing settings?

In my book ( and bear in mind that I am English) remembering stuff like this is simply good manners.

I play BtS from time to time, mostly for the superior late game, for reasons too long to mention here I detest Civ V late game (mostly the warfare, although the Giant Deathbot almost redeems it if I get that far.) So if I play civ V it's with the goal to win the game before modern era combat can happen. Whereas in Civ IV the late game is neverendingly fun for me.

Top Bottom