Anyone playing on a fairly low spec PC ?

I get quite a bit of slowdown on the larger map sizes with all cives and the map revealed. But it's still playable.

I like smaller maps anyway, so it's not really a problem for me. :lol:

Samtheknight said:
I have exactly same specs as you do(CPU P4 2.8GHz) and was able to run it but all I could see was forest tiles and settlers the rest of the terrain was black and no faces just mouth. Still hoping thats not a video card issue. It's T&L card and should be able to handle this game.:(

Yeah, I just bought the game now and I have the same results... :( I wonder if there is a solution to this problem. :sad:

Well ive finally got it.

Cancelled my preorder cos of all the horrible stories on here. But then decided I just gotta have it anyway, so i bought it.

My spec, ok its not that low, but by todays standards not great either:

P4 2.66Ghz
128mb GeForce4 Ti4200
256 RAM

Takes a bit of a while to load up, maybe about a minute or so. Intro animations run perfectly - no judders in gfx or sound and im using an onboard soundcard !

The graphics have defaulted to High on all settings. And everything runs completly smoothly and this in on Standard size map, i was expecting to only get it to run on tiny.

Now the bad things are that when new pop up windows loads up there is a slight delay, my HDD gets accessed quite heavily. Im guessing its RAM, im planning to upgrade soon anyway.

Ok i havent got too far into the game but ive uncovered a lot of the fog of war and still runs great.

Hope this provides some hope to some of you. I think the most important thing is RAM.

sekong said:
As I mentioned in another post:
here is my machine's spec
CPU: 1.2G ATHlon
RAM: 368M
Video card: Sis730, with 16M shared memory.
Free HD: 3G
O.S.: windows XP, sp2

I could play, but can't talk. I can play pre-build but not random.. ANd it is slow..

wow - someone with the same type of video card as I do - besides I got a SiS661FX
So if you can play it (more or less) with a video card slightly worse (I'm guessing then mine), where my CPU is 3GHz and I have a GB RAM and a hell of alot free HD.

So I might actually buy it now, and get a better video card later...

It's really not all the surprising that computers with only 900Mhz or so and a GFMX run Civ4 well - it's not the kind of game where you need the CPU pegged and 60 fps like Doom3. I'd expect longer load times and longer between turn times, but I full well would expect such machines to behave fairly well during your turn, when let's be honest, the computer spends 99% of it's time waiting for you...

Venger

Here's my system . . .

Athlon 1GHZ processor
896 MB RAM
GeForce FX5500 AGP card w/ 256MB RAM
generic 32-bit sound card

The game looks great (love the water moving in the river and waves lapping the shore) and the graphics defaulted to high. Only thing I have noticed is that the opening video and the wonder videos have a "hiccup" at regular intervals.

I've played up to about 1500AD on a standard size map and six(?) AI civs. The lag for me comes in waiting for the AI to take the turn with the other civs and that is obviously a processor issue.

MDPhillips said:
Here's my system . . .

Athlon 1GHZ processor
896 MB RAM
GeForce FX5500 AGP card w/ 256MB RAM
generic 32-bit sound card

Forgot to mention that I am running Win XP Home SP2 and have the latest driver for the nVidia card (8.1.8.5 - just released 10/10/2005).

My brother was having problems running the game and he updated to XP SP2 and the latest NVidia driver and it made a world of difference.

The game runs like a charm on my laptop, the specs are:

Intel Centrino 1.6 ghz
512 SDRAM
32 mb Ati Mobility 9000

Also suprisengly enough the game refused to run on my older but more powerful laptop:

p4 2 ghz
512 ram
64 mb Ati Mobility 9000

Btw: It shows this as my first post, but in reality I have been reading these forums for months now, and long before CivIV game out. If playing Civ since the days of Civ2, though my first true addiction was SMAC.

I installed on my old desktop to check multiplayer features and it seems to run ok on low settings (didnt try higher ones). There is a slight problem though; city information bar on map (where you see city name, what it builds, etc) is crippled and cannot be read..

specs are P3 733, 512 RAM, GeForce2 MX (prob 64MB, dont remember)

I have a P4 2Ghz, with 512MB RAM and a GForce 3 video card with 64MB of RAM.

When I first got the game and installed it, it crashed my video driver twice. Not too tragic, I went out to NVidia's site and downloaded a driver upgrade, installed it, and that fixed that problem.

As time progressed, I found the game to be very sluggish. So, I turned the graphics level down to low and disabled some animations. This helped some but it was still sluggish. Next I went in and looked at my virtual memory. It looked rather lean so I doubled it. The game is running much better now, a tad sluggish, but tolerable.

Athalon 1.8
GeForce 4400Ti

Runs fine for me, with high graphics at 1280x1024. There's a bit of a delay after issuing orders, but so brief you only really notice with the "skip" order.

Everything else seems fine.

Ice said:
Athalon 1.8
GeForce 4400Ti

Runs fine for me, with high graphics at 1280x1024. There's a bit of a delay after issuing orders, but so brief you only really notice with the "skip" order.

Everything else seems fine.

How much memory have you got?

I running mine on a xp3200, FX5600 and 512meg and its a bit jumpy at times, espicially during the intro.

Going to upgrade to 1 gig, and get a 9800 pro (although I'm a bit unsure as theres some radeon graphics issues I hear)

I'm running on a garbage hp Pavillion dx4000- intel celeron chip at 1.6 ghz, integrated video card. I was running it off of 512 ram too, but then i got a gig stick, so now it's 1.2 gigs of ram. the game runs slowly, but at medium settings, it's just fine. This is a turn based game, after all, so speed is not of the essence =)

but i wish i was back in the states with my top of the line compy...

AMD Athlon 1.2, 512 MB RAM, a geforce 5700 128 MB and winxp pro and onboard sound. It runs, not very smoothly though. It's choppy at the wonder and intro movies, scrolling by minimap seems a bit slow. Units do move good however. Due to the poor processor, time between turns goes around 15-30 seconds.

It is playable. I can play at medium/high settings and I am recently running a game with 12 AI Civs on a huge map. I wonder what the patch will do for me.
I have played some sessions of about 3-4 hours with no crashes or decreasing performance.

I have a P4 3Ghz with HT, 1GB RAM, GeforceFx 5950XT 256MB and the game runs fine as long as I don't play on a Huge size map.

Top Bottom