anyone still playing multiplayer?

tramwajg

Warlord
I sometimes played multiplayer as early child, then this option somehow disappeared, anyone still playing? when I try to create account on gamespy, it only says "login attempt failed", I remember in past it was possible to join public lobby and view games that were starting. Quality wasn't good, players often disconnected midgame, but it was anything at least

There is a multiplayer forum here. I would suggest going there and asking if anyone is interested. If so, they probably know how to do it now. Of course, if you know people who would like to play multiplayer, you could always set up a play by email game with them.

Likely your best bet for direct IP games. Otherwise there are Pitboss games being run at realmsbeyond.net, civforum.de (German) and I believe Apolyton (Spanish). Not sure about the last one.

Didn't Firaxis update Civ IV to support Steam multiplayer? They definitely updated Civ III to have Steam multiplayer support after GameSpy went extinct, and I thought the Civ III Steam multiplayer support arrived 6-12 months after the equivalent for Civ IV.

I haven't tried to play Civ IV multiplayer in well over a decade, but if I'm not mistaken, that would mean that while you can't play multiplayer on the CD-based version, you could if you re-bought on Steam.

Hopefully someone can confirm this!

I'll also go ahead ahead Moderator Action: move the thread to the Civ IV multiplayer forum, with a temporary redirect to increase the odds of someone seeing the thread and answering.

You can play MP with the CD version and most people who still play do not use the Steam version. (There are some limitations with it, I think. Not sure.) The MP community uses Zulan's server to replace Gamespy. See here.

Didn't Firaxis update Civ IV to support Steam multiplayer? They definitely updated Civ III to have Steam multiplayer support after GameSpy went extinct, and I thought the Civ III Steam multiplayer support arrived 6-12 months after the equivalent for Civ IV.

I haven't tried to play Civ IV multiplayer in well over a decade, but if I'm not mistaken, that would mean that while you can't play multiplayer on the CD-based version, you could if you re-bought on Steam.

Hopefully someone can confirm this!

I'll also go ahead ahead Moderator Action: move the thread to the Civ IV multiplayer forum, with a temporary redirect to increase the odds of someone seeing the thread and answering.
thx :) I have steam version, and the only option that appears in internet games, is making gamespy account, I wasn't able to locate anything else
@civac thx I will try to figure it out, steam multiplayer however would only allow for games with people I already know and have on friend list? not possible to like.. view list of public lobbies that are hosted by people, and join one, with unknown players I see for the first time, like it was when I first played multiplayer?

You can join Lobbies and the like with Zulan's workaround.

But as I mentioned above if you are looking for MP games with randoms join the Discord server I linked above. Not that many people are still playing though. The Discord also has information how you set up your game to access Zulan's server.

thx :) I have steam version, and the only option that appears in internet games, is making gamespy account, I wasn't able to locate anything else
@civac thx I will try to figure it out, steam multiplayer however would only allow for games with people I already know and have on friend list? not possible to like.. view list of public lobbies that are hosted by people, and join one, with unknown players I see for the first time, like it was when I first played multiplayer?
I had to check, since I knew lobbies still worked with Civ3. They do in Civ4 (Steam version) as well. I see nine games up for Civ4, and two for Civ3, currently.

The downside is all the games I see are password-protected (edit: Oh, there's a public one when I refresh the list!).

Note that if you've opted into the "Original Release [unsupported]" from the "Betas" area of Steam, you probably will see the Gamespy legacy option, in which case perhaps the Zulan workaround that civac linked to will work (I've yet to try it). You may have opted in to this if you played a Game of the Month or Hall of Fame game here at some point in the past.

I had to check, since I knew lobbies still worked with Civ3. They do in Civ4 (Steam version) as well. I see nine games up for Civ4, and two for Civ3, currently.

The downside is all the games I see are password-protected (edit: Oh, there's a public one when I refresh the list!).

Note that if you've opted into the "Original Release [unsupported]" from the "Betas" area of Steam, you probably will see the Gamespy legacy option, in which case perhaps the Zulan workaround that civac linked to will work (I've yet to try it). You may have opted in to this if you played a Game of the Month or Hall of Fame game here at some point in the past.
thank you! :3 very informative, that was the reason, I changed beta to "none" and now I see list of public games

Hey, what's up. For newbies to multiplayer i recomend steam FFAs or maybe that discord mentioned earlier. For uber-elitist civ players u can go to zulan's server. Theres a hard community of Vanilla Civ IV and BTS. They are in different lobbies tho. Keep in mind, that all the teamers are played with people with 10+ years of Civ IV MP experience =)
We play mostly 4v4 Inland Ancient games at Vanilla, and Ancient TBG/ Medi Inland at BTS. Lots of games everyday,

Here is how:

Ps. Thanks to Zulan. This guy kept CIV MP alive, since GS went down. Zulan <3

Join the discord server. Happy to help anyone get up to speed with MP - a few people will - just ask, we're all cantankerous and mean on the face of it but would love to welcome new players. We have had some recently but not many and the standard is really high so most folks don't stick around.

We play our games on a clone of the gamespy server that has been set up as previously described by Zulan, who's funded the server out of pocket for the last 10 years.

Join that discord and watch a stream, or say hi

Top Bottom