Anyway to turn off the Wonder Movies?

napoleon526

Emperor
I got Civ4 this weekend but haven't been able to get far, because whenever I build a wonder (usually Stonehenge or Pyramids) the game crashes. I've gone through all the menus but haven't found the option to turn them off. Everything else seems to work ok (the movie at the beginning is a little jumpy), i'm just concerned that i'll either have to avoid building wonders or buy a new video card.

U dont' have to watch it, click on 'done' or 'okay' or whatever, it will stop playing the movie.

There is an option for that in the ini file:

; Set to 1 for no in-game movies
NoMovies = 0

The ini file is located in "My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4"

Hmm, it seems that about half the time it plays the movie okay, and half the time I get a CTD. However, when I reload the autosave it loads right from the moment it crashed previously, so no harm done.

I think this might be Sid's way of telling me I need a new computer.

Thanks, my games cashes every so often because of the movies. One less thing to worry about now

We all need new computers. :) Do what Thunderfall said and you won't have to crash your computer.

Having some problems. I change the ini file like TF says, and save it. I start up the game from my most recent autosave. The game starts, but next wonder i build it crashes. I go back and check the ini file and for some reason "Nomovies" is set back to zero. :sad:

My movies play, but they stutter something crazy. The music fades in and out, timed with the stuttering of the video playback. I was really looking forward to showing off the great graphics to a game artist friend of mine, but these movies are currently painful to watch. :(

Thanks for the tip on disabling the movies, Thunderfall! :)

Anybody have a solution to the problem I mentioned in my last post? I'm doing well in my current game and I don't want to reinstall. :help:

Just thought I would mention to people who have had to shut off the movies (like me) You can DL the player for BIK game files from RADgametools. Its a free DL and allowed me to view all the movies (full screen good sound) with no problem. Still cant turn them on in the game though, cause it still crashes.

Thunderfall said:
There is an option for that in the ini file:

; Set to 1 for no in-game movies
NoMovies = 0

The ini file is located in "My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4"
Thanks! I was losing my mind trying to find how to fix this!

And I also read somewhere here on the boards that if you are using Anti-Alias the movies are more likely to crash Civ4.

It seems to work.

My setup is NoMovies=1 and no anti-alias.
This makes my game run much smoother.

@napoleon526: Ini file name is "CivilizationIV.ini" and you could do a search for it in "My Documents". I can't think of more to help you, I hope you find a solution.

EDIT: I forgot to add to 'my setup'. I use the "Art Pack Patch", the one that unpacks the resource file for Civ4. It feels much more agreeable to play now ;)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=3239085&postcount=2

Top Bottom