Apparently I Am Not Allowed to Edit XML Files; Why?

Bahmo

King
Back when I had Windows Vista, I ran up against the same problem for a while, and I don't even remember how I fixed it. Now that I've upgraded to a (somewhat) better operating system, it seems to give me the same problem; that is, I get a stereotypical "access denied" message, and I don't know why. Any way out of this?

If there were no way out of it, modding in general would have probably come to a screeching halt. Therefore there is a way out of it.

There are a number of actual fixes, the easiest one with the fewest side effects is probably to find the BtS Mods folder (assuming you are using BtS) under where the game is actually installed (not the one in My Games, which is not really used) and change its security/permissions to allow the account you are using to have write access (or full control) and set it to propagate the change to all sub-folders and all the files in them when applied. As long as the account you are using has sufficient privilege, and it probably does, you should be able to do this (the easiest way to find out is to try it).

A quick work-around is to save the file someplace else, like the desktop, and then move it into the desired location via the usual drag'n'drop operation. Odd as it seems, this should work. Direct modification of the file is blocked but you can probably replace it completely.

The best solution is probably to not install the game into the Program Files (or similar) folder on the computer in the first place. Install it, and all games in general, into a folder you create called Games (or anything else you want to call it) that is not inside any other folder. The access restrictions that are causing the problem only apply to specific folders which the operating system considers to be important, so everything in them including folders added later are subject to those access restrictions.

Top Bottom