ARCHIVED: Spurious Contraptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not too off topic if its interesting which this is. It's amazing how much "original" theories and inventions are made almost simultaneously and seemingly independently. It also happened with Darwin's Theory of Evolution which Alfred Russel Wallace similarly proposed (both contemporaries).

I'm just away to google monads since I have no idea what it is...

I'm glad you think it's interesting! Yes, Darwin and Wallace are another good example of the same sort of thing. This sort of thing does seem to happen, which is why about twenty people seem to have invented the steam engine, the television, etc. I suppose if all the evidence/required techs are there, anyone clever enough can make the next leap and come up with the new theory/invention; it's just a matter of getting it to the patent office before the other guy!

Monads are almost as much fun as they sound. An infinite number of immaterial, immortal substances, and the physical world consists of nothing but their perceptions - like an infinite number of tiny film projectors all showing the same film from a different point of view. Oh, and they can't interact with each other - every monad follows its own internal program, given to it in the beginning by God, which means not only that everything is determined but there's no such thing as causation. Everyone always mocks poor old Leibniz for coming up with such a daft theory but I always think it's really no odder than modern quantum physics.

I'm glad you think it's interesting! Yes, Darwin and Wallace are another good example of the same sort of thing. This sort of thing does seem to happen, which is why about twenty people seem to have invented the steam engine, the television, etc. I suppose if all the evidence/required techs are there, anyone clever enough can make the next leap and come up with the new theory/invention; it's just a matter of getting it to the patent office before the other guy!
I believe it was Hugo Gernsback who said "It steam engines when it comes steam engine time."

Well, here's a few of my own mad inventions:

This is a modified US military WW II field telephone that I use as my desk phone (yes, it really works!!) Maybe could be used for some kind of advanced telephony tech?:

This is my 5-position Aethernet Relay (a.k.a. 5-port LAN switch):

Takayama Denki's original Voltaic Pile-backed Teslao-Galvanic Power Source and Protectionary Device for Aether-Electric Computational Engines (a.k.a. heavily modified APC UPS/Surge protector):

And a 200 Watt Capacity Aural Intensifier (200 Watt Power Amp):

Yeah, I not only read, watch and play steampunk, I LIVE it!! :D :crazyeye: :mwaha:

Oh, yeah, how about something like this for a steampunk paratrooper:

(Yes, that is a recent pic of me dressed up for Halloween as a Steampunk Zepplin Crewmember... The sad part is that minus the military insignia on the Jacket, that is the kind of outfit I usually wear to town and such).

Unfortunately, the clock don't work... Those Kundo 400-day anniversery clocks always were tempermental... I'm thinking about converting it to electrick power, with the gear train driving a worm gear that spins the torsion pendulum as well as the clock face, and be done with it.

My parents have one and its long given up the ghost.

Unfortunately, the clock don't work... Those Kundo 400-day anniversery clocks always were tempermental... I'm thinking about converting it to electrick power, with the gear train driving a worm gear that spins the torsion pendulum as well as the clock face, and be done with it.

I'm glad he put the leeches in jars facing each other so they wouldn't get lonely. It's little touches like that that distinguish the truly loony inventors from the merely hopeless ones.
He's so loony that it actually works. There's a reason all those mad inventors in the movies seem to be British. And compassion for others seems very Dickensian.

On rereading the article I realized that the model shown at the Great Exhibition was styled after Indian temple architecture. I'd really like to know what was going on in his mind. There's a reason for my shoggoth allusion. Or maybe he was more like the infamous Dr. Emilio Lizardo.

And I noticed the Victorian Web in the footnotes. I'm probably the last of us to find out about it.

The classification of the Tempest Prognosticator as Victorian Bio-technology is quite amusing. I just noticed that his name is Merryweather, you really couldn't make it up could you.

Wow, HT, you actually look like Cid, facially and all!

And these are some amazing idea's y'got here! Some truely whacky. Truely Victorian! :lol:

Wow, HT, you actually look like Cid, facially and all!

And these are some amazing idea's y'got here! Some truely whacky. Truely Victorian! :lol:

Thanks.... I blame it on the fact that I live in one of those places where "building it yourself" is still considered a mark of pride, and where seeing traction engines and steam trains runnin, as well as the occasional WW I biplane (a replica, sadly) flying about are not considered very unusual......

So Hikaro,
How exactly do the cowboy boots fit with the rest of the outfit? :)

Well, "cowboy" boots were actually used quite a bit by late-19th century US military (particularly the Cavalry).... That and I didn't happen to have a pair of combat boots handy (and I sure as heck wasn't wearing my old US-Navy patent leather dress shoes... those things hurt my feet after a while).

Here are a few ideas I am throwing out. I would love to see some of these made. :D

Battlesphere
The Battlesphere is another innovative design from the mind and workshop of Professor Richard Boffin it is a small but powerful armored fighting vehicle designed to provide protection and much increased firepower to the individual soldier.

Steam Walker
The steam powered Walker is another innovative design from the mind and workshop of Professor Richard Boffin it is a visually intimidating, powerful armored fighting vehicle designed to provide protection and much increased firepower to the individual soldier.

Utopia Planitia Space Dock 1889
As part of the Albionese Royal Navy's expansion in Æther Operations the first orbital construction and repair Space Dock was completed above the Utopia Planitia region of Mars in 1889.

Aerial Flyers:
Aerial flyers, also called aerial gunboats or just flyers, are armed vessels held aloft by liftwood panels. Liftwood is a tree native to the Martian highlands with unique anti-gravity properties.

The Ackerman Flyer Mark II Aerial Steamship:

The Ackerman Flyer Company is owned and operated by Stephen Ackerman I and has been producing various flyers in its Syrtis Major yard for almost two years. It's most popular product, the Ackerman flyer, is based upon a 1500 ton modified Flemish screw launch hull. Powered by the Ackerman steam turbine it hit a speed of 125 knots in trials. Under full load and with all of the safeties installed it can just achieve a speed of 100 knots.

This flyer comes with three potential gun mounts that will hold weapons up to half-inch Gatling Guns, a favorite of the designer. On the prototype, Ackerman mounted a half-inch Gatling gun on the bow mount and a five barrel Nordenfelt that could be moved to either the port or starboard mount. On some later hulls, custom modifications have been made to mount a single 1-inch Gatling in a dorsal mount replacing the port and starboard weapons mounts.

The prototype flyer set the pattern for all of the Ackerman Flyers to follow. With it's flush deck and pillbox deck house it is a pleasure to see in flight. The engineering spaces are unusual with the boiler sitting in a well on the aft deck surrounded by the coal bunker. Machinery is below decks in the spaces that take up the aft half of the flyer's below decks. Below decks in the forward portion of the flyer has a cargo capacity of a thousand tons and has a small galley, WC and storage locker. Access to the lower deck is from the deck house and the cago bay doors located on the port side. The roof of the deck house is used as the flying bridge. The flying bridge has a duplicate set of controls that allow the flyer to be controlled from either the flying bridge or the deck house.

Specifications: Ackerman Aerial Steamship built by the Ackerman Flyer Company, Londin, Albion

Ackerman Flyer Aerial Steamship:
Engine: Ackerman Steam Turbine with 250 horsepower, imported from Terra
Length: 363 feet
Beam: 127 feet
Height: 56
Weight 1500 tons
Maximum speed at sea level: 100 knots; Crusing speed at sea level; 50 knots
Ceiling: 10,500 feet
Range: 4000 miles
Endurance: 60 Days
Armament: (Optional) 1 half-inch Gatling Gun Forward, 1-2 Nordenfelts in port/starboard mounts
Crew: 25 (2 pilots, 3 trimsmen, 5 engineer/topmen, 15 cargo handlers, they also crew any weapons that have been installed)

Balloon Cargo Hauler:
Originally a Martian design, the balloon cargo hauler has become a popular method of delivering cargoes in large urban areas. Although the example shown here is departing the Syrtis Major High Docks at dusk; This method of delivering cargo has become popular in most of the large cities of the Empire, including Londin, Liverpool and Manchester.

Albionese Aerial Runabout:

Modified from a Martian design, by the addition of a steam engine, the Aerial Runabout is a short-range steam powered vessel designed to provide an observation platform. Limited defensive armaments have also been fitted to vessels of this type, mainly gatling guns.

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom