Are Great People appearing when the game says they should?

goofyballer

Chieftain
I've been running into a few situations lately where the game tells me I should be getting a great person but I don't seem to actually get one. For example, first to discover Invention supposedly triggers a great person, or one of the gold milestones I think, stuff like that. Anyway, it seems like most of the time within a couple turns I get a "The culture of your empire has caused soandso to appear in somecity!" and a great person appears, but since that's the exact same message that comes up when you get a great person simply due to culture bonuses it could just be a coincidence and I would have been getting that person anyway, and the great person never appears on the same turn that I get the original message making the two events seem even more disconnected.

Anyone else noticing this?

Haven't noticed it on Xbox, no. I believe you only get a great person from Invention if you're first to research it.

What version do you have? I was having some issues with great people on the ds, but I figured it was my lack of experience causing the problem. Some appear in the stack but can't be selected.

Haven't noticed it on Xbox, no. I believe you only get a great person from Invention if you're first to research it.

What version do you have? I was having some issues with great people on the ds, but I figured it was my lack of experience causing the problem. Some appear in the stack but can't be selected.

360. And yeah, I'm specifically referring to you when you research whatever technology (I know Invention is one, forget the others) and a message pops up telling you that you're the first to research it and a great person will now appear...and then, nothing.

I get my great people just fine when I am the first to research. Not sure what the issue is for you.

I had a DS game last night and I got a tech.. It specifically stated I got a great person but then it immediately took me to move a unit... I searched and searched and never found a great person. But I got one a turn or so after.. For culture or something.

I've noticed too that if I get a tech with the msg that I will get a leader, it often happens I get a great leader a few turns later.

Perhaps the tech speeds up the great person 'bar' that builds up over time.

It normally adds loads of culture, like beforehand i would have been 600/1500 and after the message i have like 1800/1500 and then the person appears.
Ive never had a problem so dont know how to help :S

I thought this a lot too when I first began playing. In fact, I thought I was NEVER getting the great persons when I researched a tech. However, I realized that they don't actually show in your city until the next turn, and not in your capital sometimes. So if I had like, twenty cities turns would drag on and I'd not find them in cities I'd expect them to, but they were in fact showing.

Hope that helps.

Raz

It seems it makes the declaration of the great person sometimes a turn before it actually appears, which may be causing some confusion.

I'm gonna repeat one of the posters so there is no confusion as to the reason why this happens:

It normally adds loads of culture, like beforehand i would have been 600/1500 and after the message i have like 1800/1500 and then the person appears.

Basically rather than giving u a random free great person, it adds a certain amount of culture worth 1 current level of great person: aka if u were at 300/1500 it would become 1800/1500 [adds 1500].

This is good from a balance perspective because it makes your great person be included in the diminishing return on culture - to keep it in line with other bonuses from techs.

edit: this does mean though that you get your person 1 turn after it says you do.

I'm gonna repeat one of the posters so there is no confusion as to the reason why this happens:

Basically rather than giving u a random free great person, it adds a certain amount of culture worth 1 current level of great person: aka if u were at 300/1500 it would become 1800/1500 [adds 1500].

This is good from a balance perspective because it makes your great person be included in the diminishing return on culture - to keep it in line with other bonuses from techs.

edit: this does mean though that you get your person 1 turn after it says you do.

I can confirm the "Tech Free Person comes from adding level of Culture". Here is what happened to me. (sorry I dont have the real numbers/techs with me but you will get the idea)

I completed research on a "1st gets Great Person" tech and earned enough culture to pop another level on the same turn. I got my Tech message about free person and the message about a free person showing up in XXX city.

I wasnt sure of the next culture level so I pressed R2 (ps3) to see my Research/Gold/Culture and my numbers were like 1833/1800 or something. So when I ended that turn I got another Great Person on the next turn.

Top Bottom