Are negative opinions of Civ6 allowed here?

Horizons

Needing fed again!
None of you is a bigger 'fanatic' than I am. I won't bore you with the details.

I paid out a lot of cash for Civ6 Deluxe. In return I got a VERY incomplete product, and to make matters worse it is constantly crashing on me after a supposed 'patch'.

Am I not allowed to have a bad opinion of a game that is both rubbish and bordering on faulty in its current state?

Of course you can have your opinion but understand your opinion is based on your experience with it crashing and therefore jumping to the conclusion that the game must be faulty without allowing for the fact that many people have no such issues. The game runs wonderfully for me, no crashes or technical issues whatsoever aside from the known freeze on exit which is easy enough to deal with and does not impact gameplay in any way.

Your opinion of the game is welcome and there is no doubt the game could use some AI, UI and other such tweaks but to say it's faulty because it doesn't run on your computer is a bit of an unfair leap.

Game is crashing? Blame that on your computer, not the game. The only way my game has crashed is to occasionally freeze if I directly exit the game. OTOH I bought a new computer about a year ago for playing civ.

Otherwise, patience may serve you well, not that I recall your having any patience with civ5 in its early days.

I'm sure your welcome to complain about the game on these boards.. but if you have a complaint please "bore us with the details." The only issue you stated is that it's crashing on you since the patch. Did it ever crash on you before the patch? Have you tried verifying the files /w steam or Reinstalling the game & patch?

None of you is a bigger 'fanatic' than I am. I won't bore you with the details.

I paid out a lot of cash for Civ6 Deluxe. In return I got a VERY incomplete product, and to make matters worse it is constantly crashing on me after a supposed 'patch'.

Am I not allowed to have a bad opinion of a game that is both rubbish and bordering on faulty in its current state?

How is the game incomplete exactly?

It sounds like you're having technical issues. You submit a support ticket to them in that instance. Most people aren't having technical issues, so it's probably something to do with your particular setup.

That depends what kind of fanatic are you. The extremely interested in civ type; or the lacking perspective, set in his belief and need to prove something one.

I know how annoying it can be to be excited about something, save up money, wait for it , be giddy and mesmerized when the game setup and loads for the first time, and then the experience not measure up to the expectations. But I have been playing games since this series conception and I have NEVER seen a game that had no bugs or various balance issue on release. I even revisited some classical games that were still being fixed by fans even a decade after release..

General rule of thumb in life, expect to pay more and get less to be an early adopter (It is true with pretty much everything Games, hardware/gadgets, food\clot etc .) I only buy Pardox game on release and not because they are bug free (FAR from it) but as a show of support. Otherwise I always wait at least half a year of bug fixing grace period and mods to popup, or even push until GOTY addition.

Anyway, IMO Civ6 released in much better state compared to Civ5. If the game is really unplayable to you then ask for a refund on steam. Otherwise it might be more productive and better use of your time to explain your issues in detail, thus helping either Firaxis or Modders to address them.

Looks like you've been around long enough to know that there are plenty of negative opinions shared, and allowed, here. I do have to question the reasoning behind it on unofficial fan sites though. Not solely with you but in general as a principal. None of us saw any financial benefit from your expense and none of us can make up for the regret you have for your purchase decision. For the most part we gather here to talk about a game we enjoy with others who feel the same way so when you come in with a tone like "None of you is a bigger fanatic..." and tell us something we enjoy is "rubbish" are you really here to discuss? Or, are you here to argue?

In my opinion, if it matters, the best place to share negative feedback is on the official site where it is more likely to get the attention of the people responsible, not on a fan site where other people are enjoying your "rubbish" even if "None of [us] are bigger fanatics."

If, on the other hand, you're looking for some friendly help from fellow fans to get past some of those faults then you've come to the right place.

I would argue the product is incomplete even if it doesn't crash. Any yes, good on you for sharing your opinion!

I shared my opinion of the poor state of the game in another thread and received some strange replies that made me wonder the same question you're asking. There seems to be some Firaxis staff or player testers astro-turfing in these forums by trying to silence debate. Either that or just fans who really don't like hearing anything negative.

Civ6 has received a lot of 90%+ reviews from the "professionals" that don't even mention the incompetent AI and other issues or only briefly brush over them. So please don't feel bad about sharing your negative opinion. You're potentially saving customers from being ripped off like you and I have been.

I shared my opinion of the poor state of the game in another thread and received some strange replies that made me wonder the same question you're asking. There seems to be some Firaxis staff or player testers astro-turfing in these forums by trying to silence debate. Either that or just fans who really don't like hearing anything negative.
I call this behaviour "meta-whining", that is, whining about other people's perceived whining. It's standard behaviour in all kinds of hobby forums and it is certainly going strong on Civfanatics after a new Civ game is released.

You'd expect discussions about Civ6 for instance to play out like this:
User A: "I dislike Civ6."
User B: "I like Civ6."

But it often plays out like this:
User B: "Why do you say that? You are wrong about this. You're missing some important points. You don't understand the game. Stop ruining the forums with your negativity."

I do not understand why this happens, but it always does.

Of course, this sometimes happens with inverted roles, too. But in my experience the above formula is prevalent.

Either that or just fans who really don't like hearing anything negative.
:goodjob: That's the category I fit into.
I have enough negative mental attitude all by myself. While I appreciate the passion others have, I don't appreciate how many apply it towards complaining. OTOH, how empty the forums would be....

Because I think many of us are sick of the "Holier than thou" attitude many of the complaints inevitably start to give off.

We get it, there are issues and problems with the game. That doesn't entitle them to act like they're better than everyone else on these forums; let alone to derail completely unrelated threads with their constant, repetitive moaning that often brings absolutely nothing new to the table.

Most of us are also more patient, and recognize that this pattern is inevitable with Firaxis, if not most game companies in the world right now. Thankfully Firaxis has a history of reliability over time via patches and expansions. Those of us without mayfly memories know that it's been like this since at least Civ 4, and until something much, MUCH larger than a single game franchise comes in and shakes up the entirety of the industry, it's going to almost always be like this. So in the meantime, patience will win out, and if Firaxis happens to fail us this time around? Then we can always drop the franchise and move on to greener pastures.

Last edited:
But it often plays out like this:
User B: "Why do you say that? You are wrong about this. You're missing some important points. You don't understand the game. Stop ruining the forums with your negativity."
It'a actually surprising how much plays out like

User A: "I dislike Civ6"
User B: "... It will be great when the expansion comes out, or someone will probably write a great mod"

as if that were a reason to like Civ 6 now.

Those of us without mayfly memories know that it's been like this since at least Civ 4, and until something much, MUCH larger than a single game franchise comes in and shakes up the entirety of the industry, it's going to almost always be like this.
Some of those of us remember that Civ 3 and Civ 4 were actually enjoyable and challenging games that had us hooked on day 1. I strongly suspect a large percentage of the those of us you describe are misremembering the impact of the older games' problems as compared to the newer games' problems.

Sure you are. I trash civilization 4 every chance I get.

Personally I like 6 and I am really looking forward to the future.

As for 'very incomplete' compared to what? 6 is probably the most ready to go vanilla release since II. 3 was ok until it was 'complete'. 4 was not even playable until BTS and it was the same with V and BNW.

aside from the known freeze on exit which is easy enough to deal with and does not impact gameplay in any way.

How do you deal with it? I cannot even TM out of it, I need to sign out completely which is a PITA.

Some of those of us remember that Civ 3 and Civ 4 were actually enjoyable and challenging games that had us hooked on day 1. I strongly suspect a large percentage of the those of us you describe are misremembering the impact of the older games' problems as compared to the newer games' problems.

4 sucked and it was ugly. -- 3 Was fun and addictive... but the corruption mechanic was just horrible.

Top Bottom