Are the Celts always so hard to deal with?

Bergerperson

An actual Canadian
Okay here's the scenario. I'm tired of Boudicca always sending missionaries into my Island/continent where my religion (Judaism) is prominent. So I declare war (For the second time, the first was also over her converting my cities) and while I'm at war may as well liberate Washington from the Celts since I have good relations with them, this will add to it. So far I've captured two of her cities, through melee naval ships: Truro, the largest city of her's besides her capital and some far off colony where copper is mined.

I'm tired of war, want to focus on expansion (I had ONE 3 aluminium mine in my area, the largest empire). So I try to make a deal, Boudicca is also sick of war and has been begging for peace for a while now. BUT!!!! She will not give Washington to me when I dangle her two taken cities in front of her, 35 gold per turn, 2500 gold, a bundle of luxury resources, 20 COAL, iron, OIL, horses, and iron.

She keeps on saying she wants a fair deal, what do you call my offer then? My only resort to achieve my ends is to gather up an army, send them half way across the world, capture the majority of her cities along the route to Washington D.C., probably lose a few units in the process, but really? Is Boudicca always this hard-ass when it comes to peace deal?

Unless I am mistaken, I don't believe that peace deals are allowed to have both parties include items. Only one party is allowed to give items to the other.

I think if you offered Boudica a peace deal that includes giving her every one of your cities, but you ask for 1 gold in exchange, she will say no.

This. :agree:

If the AI won't give you one of their cities by itself in peace deal, they won't give it if you throw something on your side.
Most reliable way is to take the city you want with your military as the AI values cities highly.
But taking a bunch of other cities the AI owns may eventually be enough for the AI to be willing to cede that city peacefully (in addition to the ones you also took)

That and an AI on the domination path is not just going to cough up a capital. That's like asking a culture civ to give you the city they just built the Louvre in.

This. :agree:

If the AI won't give you one of their cities by itself in peace deal, they won't give it if you throw something on your side.
Most reliable way is to take the city you want with your military as the AI values cities highly.
But taking a bunch of other cities the AI owns may eventually be enough for the AI to be willing to cede that city peacefully (in addition to the ones you also took)

Easier said that done. The Celts are literally half a world away. It will take a long time before I can land troops on their continent. It's that far away that by the time I get troops ashore, my rifleman would probably be upgradable. But... It's the only way to get Boudicca to submit to my authority.

In my games, I find that the Celts spend too much time spamming missionaries and not enough on military. Their religion usually dominates but they end up getting conquered by neighbors.

You say that again. I had to post two warships in the sea between our continents because there were so much missionaries coming over. It's proven to be a... very successful campaign. I also think I decimated their land forces when I took Truro. HMCS Toronto wiped the floor against the retaliating armies of Boudicca.

I have never seen the Celts do much of anything. They're around sometimes, but I've never really cared about them as either a huge friend or threat before.

bring a settler and a couple of workers with your army to plop a city down so you can upgrade whatever troops will need it.. if the only spots available are very risky have your workers build forts instead of improving land etc.. and have your GG steal some breathing room.. sometimes that beats building a full on navy if you dont have a good coastal production city.

also your best bet is to take a couple of her cities... THEN liberate washington.. this way any warmonger tag will get reduced..

Washington is an ex capital which is needed for a domination victory. The AI prolly values captured capitals more highly than even their own cities. I find an effective way to get the AI to capitulate is to march an advanced army(more advanced than them) on their cities and pound away. Rocket Artillery and Infantry seems to scare the AI, I know it scares me.......

Washington is an ex capital which is needed for a domination victory. The AI prolly values captured capitals more highly than even their own cities. I find an effective way to get the AI to capitulate is to march an advanced army(more advanced than them) on their cities and pound away. Rocket Artillery and Infantry seems to scare the AI, I know it scares me.......

If that's the case, how come then did I manage to get Tenochtitlan from the Maya so easily? I didn't bargain any of their captured cities because I only took one (Their capital, but I have since annexed it.)

Novalia said:
bring a settler and a couple of workers with your army to plop a city down so you can upgrade whatever troops will need it.. if the only spots available are very risky have your workers build forts instead of improving land etc.. and have your GG steal some breathing room.. sometimes that beats building a full on navy if you dont have a good coastal production city.

also your best bet is to take a couple of her cities... THEN liberate washington.. this way any warmonger tag will get reduced..

Already done :D. I didn't realize this, but HMCS Toronto wiped the floor with THE Celtic army, I faced no resistance. When I was sailing my army to Edinburgh, I already had a settler coming on the other ocean to settle and area for some aluminum.

Top Bottom