Are the Shoshone completely overpowered?

I played Shoshone a couple of times

It was like I had pushed a button that said "cheat mode: ON"

More territory + Great Walls: plenty of time to bombard any invading army to pieces while you tech-up/build-up your empire into a total powerhouse

Good times with the Shoe-Shiners!

I often feel like I'm the only one who looks at the Shoshone and feels very "meh" about the whole thing.

I've never been a big settler though. I tend to be a tall builder or a conquest taker.

I also play mostly on marathon so once I get past all the ruin pops I have a ton of game to go through.

I often feel like I'm the only one who looks at the Shoshone and feels very "meh" about the whole thing.

I've never been a big settler though. I tend to be a tall builder or a conquest taker.

I also play mostly on marathon so once I get past all the ruin pops I have a ton of game to go through.

Shoshone are great for tall play. The extra territory upon settling means that you don't have to make as many trade offs with where you place your settler: you can get that hill/river/mountain start while still picking up the wheat 3 tiles away so you can start growing, for example.

Shoshone are strong and fun to play, but i would rate them 3rd for this expansion behind Venice and Poland.

After dabbling with the new civs, I'm back to playing as my tried and true, Inca!

I picked up my first BNW victory with them, also my first King victory. Diplomatic, and could've had culture in another 4 turns. I played a huge map, continents, and had Monte, Shaka, Khan, and Poland as neighbors. I figured it was going to be a rough go, but I had a great starting spot for my capital and my pathfinders were able to pop enough culture to finish out the liberty tree and faith to found a religion. I stayed with 5 cities and kept an average military. Amazingly, despite my aggressive neighbors, I never got DoW'd the entire game (a civ first for me in all my years of playing). My victory game in game standard speed year 2006 AD.

The entire game I felt in complete control, at any point I could have raised an army and taken out the competition, I had a healthy tech lead on most.

Compared to other recent BNW games I give the Shoshone this - decent civ, awesome start bias, and their ability to settle more land and choose their bonuses with pathfinders means they have a great base to start with. And it's incredibly adaptable, had I simply made my pathfinders in to composite bows early on, I could've taken out Monte and Shaka.

Other thoughts, I wonder if the civ bonus of increased unit strength in your own borders factors into whether civs will declare on you. By no means was I the strongest civ militarily, and as the game dragged on, I purposely stopped expanding and upgrading troops just to see if I could entice a DoW, no luck.

Top Bottom