Argentina - England

England played exceptionally today and anyone who says otherwise is either mad, blind or an argie :)

in all truth we should of closed the game out in the first 15 mins of the 2nd half though

Originally posted by AVN

So, you do understand something of one of the most important sports in the world.;) ;)

I thought you had only interest in cricket, rugby and australian football.

Your post in this thread was a great surprise for me.

I enjoy a 'good' game of soccer and played a bit when I was at school (many years ago), indeed I enjoy most sports with the exception of Rugby League which IMO is a debased and bastardized version of Rugby.

Here in Australia the local Soccer competition is a joke and we lose most of our good players to British and European clubs eg. Kewel, Bosnich etc.

BTW : A few years ago I have seen a few games of australian football on TV, and allthough I don't know much about this game, I admit it's quite spectacular and exciting.

Aussie Rules is a 'spectacular and exciting" game. To be one of 100,000 at the MCG watching James Hird weave his magic for the Mighty Bombers (Essendon) is a truly great experience - hope you get the chance to experience it sometime AVN. :)

And to those questioning England's performance - all you can do is win and they did. Of course that's no guarantee for the match against Nigeria - but it sure beats a loss! :crazyeye:

Originally posted by philippe
so they won witha penalty?well i think its was better if it was a draw....

Oh it was a definate win for England...

Originally posted by Dell19

Oh it was a definate win for England...
well it was that i just heard of some friend of me about the match.
didnt know he was pro argentina....
i later watched the match and i admit.england deserved to win!:goodjob:

Argetna may have thehand of God
But we have The foot of God ( David Beckham)

the celebrations were briliant were i live every one came out of the pubs and held all the trafic up :D :D

****, how disappointing, I went to the house of a friend that ive not seen in a long time specially to watch the match with him and we lost.

Grr, it sucks.

England played simply better 60 minutes of the 90, and they could have won 2 to 0 or even 1 to 0 without the penalty, I thought that we could tiedlike Ireland until the end of the match.

Anyway, Beckham is not the foot of god at all, all he did was to kick a penalty :confused:
The second goal to the english in 1986, that was impressive, not the penalty.

Now, we have to defeat Sweden to go on in the world cup, that will be difficult, i wont see the match, i will wake up at 6 am at the time of the end of the match just to see the results.Otherwise i would be to nervous.

It wasn't even a good penalty. In football you need a bit of luck that the keeper will go the wrong way. Had he gone the right way it'd have been saved.

I have to say if Argentina had "tied like Ireland", it wouldn't have been deserved. I don't feel Argentina played well enough to justify going home with a point, despite their extra possession.

a mi me parece que son una manga de giles que no saben un carajo de futbol. Inglaterra planteo la estrategia mas mediocre . hicieron un gol con un penal que bekham pateo como un nene de 3 años y despues se tiraron atras como los mas cagones. encima cambiaron a owen por un gil, para que se paren y tapen el arco. faltaba que se cuelguen del travezaño. asi no van a llegar muy lejos . chau amargos avisenme cuando aprendan a ver un partido
ED Patagonia Argentina

EED16 this is an English speaking forum and I believe its in the rules that members are not allowed to make entire posts in a different languauge.

"It wasn't even a good penalty" - Baleog
What a load of tummyrubbish!
If you watch the replay, Beckham plants his left foot exactly as if he's shooting to the bottom left corner, and sends it slightly right of the middle. I don't think he hit it quite perfectly, but he certainly bamboozles the keeper.

Well the facts speak for themselves. This was the most important result for English football since they beat Cameroon in 1990 to go on and meet Germany in the World Cup semi-final. I was watching that game in Amsterdam and it was a blast I can tell you. I then saw the tragic penalty shootout loss in a London pub where the Englsih were not gracious losers. Anybody who left their BMW parked outside in London that evening, had a sorry sight in the morning.:hammer:

This English team has a lot to like about it. I'm a Kiwi obviously, but I sense a certain bond about them, and I feel involved with these guys. They're young, confidant, and they've shown they can foot it with the best. Sure they defended their box in the last 30, but who wouldn't in that situation. If they can go on to survive the group, not many teams will want to face England in the knockouts. Mikey Owen looks like he's coming into some form at just about the right time. Anyone who saw what he did to Arsenal last year in the FA Cup Final won't forget what he's about, not to mention that rocket against Argentina in '98:sheep: go you good things.

I posted somewehere that the best way to beat Argentina would be by our own handball (not really), a la H of G, then I saw 'Mike Bassett: England Manager' the other night. Looks like someone already thought of that. ;)

1-Nil! 1-Nil!

Let's just hope that Sweden do the decent thing and take their golden opportunity to knock the Argies out.

Potentially a second round without France, Argentina, Italy, Germany, Portugal, etc there really could be a shock winner this year. So come on Denmark, Sweden, Mexico, Cameroon & Korea do your stuff!

With all the trouble that is going on in Argentina, i really imagined that i would support them a little, just for the success in soccer helps them to re-build their self-confidence... but no game. As compassionate as i am with their terrible crises, i still gets excited every time they loose a soccer match (or any match in any game that we brazilians play too).

Point is, despite my opinion not being exactly neutral, i think that England deserved their victory. The flaws of the Argentina's team were exposed in the game.

They wanted to repeat the very advanced defense line that they used against Nigeria, and this does create the image of territorial control... but on the other hand, makes them very vulnerable to a fast counter-strike, as Owen have shown. Also, if the defender looses the dispute, there will be a vast space for the adversarie to advance.

If i recall correctly, the last defeat of Argentina before this game was to us, in the world cup qualifying tournament, in very alike conditions; they tried to suffocate us and, with fast response, our first line of advanced defenders ("volantes" in brazilian portuguese, i really don't recall how that position is called in english) opened their own defense and our foward people were able to score three goals.

It was deep within the streak of Brazil's bad results those last two years, and i recall the headlines in Buenos Aires after we won that game 3-1: "The Giant Has Awaken". Too bad we went to sleep again in our following matches... :) . It shows very well that they do have a strong defense system, but it's vulnerable to any team that don't get impressed and have skilled players that can win one-to-one tackles, such as Brazil, such as England - even if they are not in their most inspired time.

In the game itself, the fact that England have shrinked in the last minutes does not take away the beauty of the victory. It was an important match, and Argentina is a serious foe. I do not agree with giving up offense completely as they did, but i think it was a reasonable strategie while Owen was in the field, specially because his runs were the most effect weapon they had through all the game.

Nonetheless, i doubt that Argentina will be out before the next stage. I trully believe they will go on, what creates the perfect scenario for a Brazil X Argentina in the 2th round of the playoffs, something that happened for the last time in 1990, when they have thrown us out (1 X 0).

I'm hoping we can do what englishman did and taste the sweet revenge.

Regards :) .

Top Bottom