1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Armored Units

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by civplayer33, Nov 20, 2019.

?

(Please read the OP first) Are Armored Units in a balanced state right now?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2020.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, they are too powerful!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, they are too weak!

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  4. No, they could use tweaking for other reasons (please post why and how).

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Have you ever seen Pacific Rim....Giant Robots can totally move through ocean :) I mean call it jet packs, naval transformation....if we have already suspended the disbelief of a giant robot, is it that much of a stretch that it can fight in water?

2. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Alright so lets take a serious look at the GDR, remove the idea of a joke unit and say "this is the last unit I will ever make in this game...what does it need to do?" For this unit to be effective, it has to be able to bring tremendous punishment in a very short amount of time to be actually taken seriously. It also does not have the turns to sit back and heal, its got to fight and fight again, or it won't be effective. Considering it is also siphoning off uranium that can be used for nukes, it has to be worth such an investment. So in general, I think we start with giving it a lot of the key abilities of many units in the game.

1) Recuperation: March, Double Heal (from Immortals), Medic II (CS adjusted for the penalty), and heal on kill. The GDR does not stop....until you are dead.

2) City Takedown: City Assault Promotion. This boy brings the pain to cities. A few of these should drop a city in a few rounds if left uncontested.

3) Air Defense: Air Defense 60. Stealth bombers are common at this point, and no matter how strong a GDR is, they will take it down quickly. A high air defense ensures that bombers have to rest while the GDR is bringing the pain.

4) Mobility: High speed, amphibious. Rivers and embarkments don't slow them down. If we want to go all the way with full ocean movement I think that would be cool, but I recognize that's a paradigm shift.

Such a unit will push forward, resisting aircraft, healing heavily as it goes, and bringing a lot of damage quickly to cities. Its a unit that if not accounted for, could actually take out an empire in a matter of turns....exactly the kind of power you need in the last vestiges of the game to give a player a chance to strike at the runaway and actually have a chance to stop them.

Kim Dong Un likes this.
  3. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Yeah but have you seen pacific rim 2? :(

I agree about air defense. I don’t know what a good number is, but probably 3X the next highest air defense
    I think a March promotion is redundant, and takes away from the killing. Make it “heals fully on kill”
    I don’t think a bonus vs cities is necessary. GDRs should occupy themselves with killing units, and as long as they don’t have a penalty vs cities I think it’s fine. Give rocket artillery and stealth bombers something to do.
    And as for water... I’m sorry, the art files will just look so bad Jesus walking through the coast. I can’t.

Kim Dong Un likes this.
  4. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

Supreme Leader will take 10 (some uranium must be spared for nukes)...

vyyt likes this.