Arsonist Fix

Joij21

🔥Hail Satan!🔥
For anyone who wants to play with a rebalanced arsonist I've found out how to change the XML files and changed the unit.

Changes Made:
  • :strength: reduced to 5
  • removed all withdrawal abilities
  • removed first strikes
  • removed city bombard ability
  • changed unit default AI to city defense
  • changed general AI to be more defense oriented with siege engine counter-strike abilities.(though I've also still allow them to be utilized in offense as they still have decent collateral)
  • removed city attack and changed it to a 60% city defensive bonus.
So even though arsonists are now the best city defenders, archers still remain relevant as they gain strength from hills, have first strikes, and ranged attacks. Eventually longbowmen will outclass the arsonists altogether. And while they have greater collateral and strength than atlatlists, they can't withdraw making them suicide units for offensive purposes (yet still remain offensively competitive against obsidian units and below).

How to make these changes:
  1. simply copy what's below and locate C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\C2C\Assets\XML\Units
  2. remember to back up the original file
  3. open the file using a basic text program and find the arsonist xml info
  4. delete the current xml data for the arsonist
  5. then paste the stuff from below in its place
  6. enjoy!
The Stuff You Copy:

<UnitInfo>
<Class>UNITCLASS_ARSONIST</Class>
<Type>UNIT_ARSONIST</Type>
<Combat>UNITCOMBAT_THROWING</Combat>
<SubCombatTypes>
<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_COMBATANT</SubCombatType>
<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_SPECIES_HUMAN</SubCombatType>
<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_METHOD_DISTANCE_PRIMARY</SubCombatType>
<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_STYLE_H2H_SINGLE_HAND_ONLY</SubCombatType>
<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_STYLE_SIDEARM_PRIMARY_PLUS_SECONDARY</SubCombatType>
<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_STYLE_DIST_TWO_HANDED</SubCombatType>
<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_DIST_EXPLOSIVE_FLASK</SubCombatType>
<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_H2H_CLUB</SubCombatType>
<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_SIDEARM_FIST</SubCombatType>
<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_MOTILITY_FOOT</SubCombatType>
<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_QUALITY_SUPERIOR</SubCombatType>
<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_GROUP_COMPANY</SubCombatType>
<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_SIZE_MEDIUM</SubCombatType>
<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_HEALS_AS_PEOPLE</SubCombatType>
</SubCombatTypes>
<Domain>DOMAIN_LAND</Domain>
<MapCategoryTypes>
<MapCategoryType>MAPCATEGORY_EARTH</MapCategoryType>
</MapCategoryTypes>
<DefaultUnitAI>UNITAI_CITY_DEFENSE</DefaultUnitAI>
<Description>TXT_KEY_UNIT_ARSONIST</Description>
<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_UNIT_ARSONIST_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
<Strategy>TXT_KEY_UNIT_ARSONIST_STRATEGY</Strategy>
<Advisor>ADVISOR_MILITARY</Advisor>
<bMilitaryHappiness>1</bMilitaryHappiness>
<bMilitarySupport>1</bMilitarySupport>
<bMilitaryProduction>1</bMilitaryProduction>
<bPillage>1</bPillage>
<bIgnoreBuildingDefense>1</bIgnoreBuildingDefense>
<UnitClassUpgrades>
<UnitClassUpgrade>
<UnitClassUpgradeType>UNITCLASS_GRENADIER</UnitClassUpgradeType>
<bUnitClassUpgrade>1</bUnitClassUpgrade>
</UnitClassUpgrade>
<UnitClassUpgrade>
<UnitClassUpgradeType>UNITCLASS_ANCIENT_FLAMETHROWER</UnitClassUpgradeType>
<bUnitClassUpgrade>1</bUnitClassUpgrade>
</UnitClassUpgrade>
</UnitClassUpgrades>
<UnitAIs>
<UnitAI>
<UnitAIType>UNITAI_ATTACK</UnitAIType>
<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
</UnitAI>
<UnitAI>
<UnitAIType>UNITAI_ATTACK_CITY</UnitAIType>
<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
</UnitAI>
<UnitAI>
<UnitAIType>UNITAI_CITY_DEFENSE</UnitAIType>
<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
</UnitAI>
<UnitAI>
<UnitAIType>UNITAI_CITY_COUNTER</UnitAIType>
<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
</UnitAI>
</UnitAIs>
<PrereqTech>TECH_OIL_LAMPS</PrereqTech>
<!--
BonusType>BONUS_ALCOHOL</BonusType>
<BonusType>BONUS_TAR</BonusType>
<BonusType>BONUS_OLIVEOIL</BonusType>
<BonusType>BONUS_FISHOIL</BonusType>
<BonusType>BONUS_GHEEOIL</BonusType>
<BonusType>BONUS_WHALEOIL</BonusType>
<BonusType>BONUS_KEROSENE</BonusType>
</PrereqBonuses
-->
<TrainCondition>
<Or>
<Has>
<GOMType>GOM_BONUS</GOMType>
<ID>BONUS_WHALEOIL</ID>
</Has>
<Has>
<ID>BONUS_KEROSENE</ID>
</Has>
<Has>
<ID>BONUS_ALCOHOL</ID>
</Has>
<Has>
<ID>BONUS_TAR</ID>
</Has>
<Has>
<ID>BONUS_OLIVEOIL</ID>
</Has>
<Has>
<ID>BONUS_FISHOIL</ID>
</Has>
<Has>
<ID>BONUS_GHEEOIL</ID>
</Has>
</Or>
</TrainCondition>
<iCost>125</iCost>
<iMoves>1</iMoves>
<iCombat>5</iCombat>
<iXPValueAttack>6</iXPValueAttack>
<iXPValueDefense>3</iXPValueDefense>
<iCollateralDamage>6</iCollateralDamage>
<iCollateralDamageLimit>17</iCollateralDamageLimit>
<iCollateralDamageMaxUnits>2</iCollateralDamageMaxUnits>
<iCityDefense>60</iCityDefense>
<UnitCombatMods>
<UnitCombatMod>
<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_SIEGE</UnitCombatType>
<iUnitCombatMod>25</iUnitCombatMod>
</UnitCombatMod>
</UnitCombatMods>
<iAsset>3</iAsset>
<iPower>20</iPower>
<UnitMeshGroups>
<iGroupSize>2</iGroupSize>
<fMaxSpeed>1.75</fMaxSpeed>
<fPadTime>1</fPadTime>
<iMeleeWaveSize>2</iMeleeWaveSize>
<iRangedWaveSize>0</iRangedWaveSize>
<UnitMeshGroup>
<iRequired>2</iRequired>
<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_ARSONIST</EarlyArtDefineTag>
</UnitMeshGroup>
</UnitMeshGroups>
<FormationType>FORMATION_TYPE_DEFAULT</FormationType>
</UnitInfo>

This should be in the modmod section (and I must at least say I'm not in favor of most of it, despite being in general agreement that the unit is currently a bit OP.)

Attached is Joij21's fix as a module. Just extract it into the Assets/Modules/My_Mods folder no need for any editing or backup of files. Just delete the folder if you no longer want it or move it to the My_Mods(unloaded) folder. to deactivate it.

I don't think these changes are correct as the unit is supposed to be for attacking cities more than defending them.

Attachments

• arsonist_fix_by_Joij21.7z
    15 KB · Views: 171
Why would an arsonist have a bonus within a city? Aren't they going to just burn down what they're defending?

Well in my opinion the arsonist is a primitive grenade thrower. Early grenades were often heavy and made of large clay pots. Plus the shape of these pots were not suited to a throwing motion in which the user could use his arm as leverage to throw it further. Because of this it would be more effective to simply chuck them down from the ramparts of walls. They in turn would have made excellent defenders similar to how burning oil would be poured down in large buckets and set troops on fire. Now since I don't know how to give them a defensive bonus from walls alone, I opted for a generic city defense bonus instead.

I like to blend some RL world observation into game development pathways for units. While the Arsonist is a primitive fire wielder, I don't really attribute them to being mostly about throwing large clay pots. I think of them more as torch wielders and the extra flammable material they bring is for dousing more torches once their previous torches go out or the rare splash usage or for once they've thrown the last torch in hand and they are preparing the next. The torches are basically flaming clubs of course. They throw them onto flammable rooftops and bramble or wood based wall defenses or lob them over earth mounds in hopes of finding combustible materials to disrupt the defending forces.

This envisioning works better from the perspective of them being a throwing unit line upgrade. If you look at the city attack/defense abilities of throwing units as they progress, they start off as very strong as a defender and gradually expand into greater offense. Your means of envisioning them may give me cause to adjust how that gradient works and perhaps keep them strong as defenders all the way through. Or perhaps the defensive buildings like walls may be made to give them some defense all the way through (look at the Ballistraria for how it's done for archers I think).

But I don't want to lose them for the role they were intended for, even if they are currently given, imo, a bit too many gifts for that role at the moment.

The withdrawal is a throwing unit feature. They are running in, throwing, hoping not to engage in combat for too long because we can envision that they don't have a lot of their heaviest hitting weapons to throw, then getting out before getting too caught up in the hand to hand side of the battle. The collateral is because these guys tend to start fires that damage defenders in their defensive positions and cause overall chaos and injury in trying to put these fires down. The first strikes, most of which are CHANCES at a first strike rather than absolute first strikes, are also a throwing unit special ability due to the range that they engage the opponent at. First strikes are a representation of ranged attacks in general now. It's not as strong as say, archer first strikes, but they are a bit more maneuverable on their feet than archer units and are good at dodging and feinting and throwing off the more difficult targeting method of archery units so from the unitcombat modifiers as a throwing unit, they get a benefit against archer units.

We both come at the design with the same method but some... evolutionary causes... have taken my last template for these guys and ubered them a bit. But I figured you should know the why's of what they were originally given.

I did still keep their ability to cause collateral, and the 25% bonus against siege weaponry. So for offensive purposes they are still relevant. Just not as relevant as they used to.

Perhaps, but they wouldn't fit into the throwing unit upgrade progression scheme with those stats. Few units in C2C are not a part of a gradient of adjusting abilities throughout their upgrade chains.

Top Bottom