Art Assets in Civilization 6: A Modding Guide

Firaxis have said that they plan to release all the updated assets to the SDK Assets so you'll have to wait for that if you want to see them in the Asset Previewer.

Awesome, thank you for letting me know. I'll keep an eye out! :)

Hi guys, I am stuck in the Asset previewer. In the 'root' section I get this annoying exclamation mark on all 'heads' except the 3 base female heads. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Attachments

• Schermopname (7).png
    Schermopname (7).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 329
Hi guys, I am stuck in the Asset previewer. In the 'root' section I get this annoying exclamation mark on all 'heads' except the 3 base female heads. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

What are the exact names of some example Male heads that don't work for you?

As far as I know there are a new set of heads and an old set of heads.

The new ones should work OK. The numbered ones are the newer ones and the letter ones are the legacy ones.

Gathering Storm was a major restructure of .artdefs and art assets.

You want to be using the assets such as Male_Cauc_Head_01.ast.

The older names such as Male_Caucasian_HeadA aren't available by default anymore. They are still in the pantry so you can actually still use them but you have to added them into your .xlp to be cooking into your mod's own blp I think.

Last edited:
The good news is that Beyond Earth units go into Civ 6 just as easily as Civ 5 ones do. It took about 15 mins to get this in the game animations working fine.

View attachment 467511

What about importing leaders from Civ V into Civ VI? Would that work? That would be awesome!

What about importing leaders from Civ V into Civ VI? Would that work? That would be awesome!

The models and animations would be quite easy to convert. The problem is that nothing can open the Civ 5 Leader textures other than Texmod which can open the DX9 lower resolution ones. Given that the Texmod method has been known for years and no-one has gone through the effort of obtaining all the Civ 5 Leader textures I’m guessing no-one is going to now.

The models and animations would be quite easy to convert. The problem is that nothing can open the Civ 5 Leader textures other than Texmod which can open the DX9 lower resolution ones. Given that the Texmod method has been known for years and no-one has gone through the effort of obtaining all the Civ 5 Leader textures I’m guessing no-one is going to now.

i got the textures of i believe 10-12 leaders of the ancient and medieval type of leaders like Shaka, Montezuma, Ashurbanipal etc. via texmod, but only the diffuse textures, no normal maps or other ones. if its only the effort of collecting all the leader textures, i am your man to do this. but i wonder how useful the animations of for instance Sejong or Nebuchadnezzar would be, as they sitting on a throne, and no leader does in Civ6 as far as i know. Also, it would be interesting to see if a program called „Ninja Ripper“ would be able to „rip“ the textures in high resolution, and whether this would be legal and „okay to do“.

What would be great is to have every single texture for every Civ 5 Leader scene including background elements each split into folders by Leader. I’d be happy help with renaming the textures from the random names to correct ones. I already did Boudicca textures which are in my downloads. Civ VI is not the only application as having all the texture would make it simpler to modify them for modded Civ V Leaders.

Regarding legalities it’s no different to any other 3D modding that has been done between Civ V and Civ VI.

Unfortunately Ninja Ripper was not able to rip the textures from Civ5 in my tests. So i will do some tests again today, but if its still not working then i need to do this via texmod, which means lower res textures. We will get the textures, just give me time :)

PS: your help offer with renaming the textures is appreciated and accepted :D
i will rip them, and then i send you what i got.

As far as I know Firaxis used some proprietary encryption on the Civ V Leader textures that no one has ever cracked. No DDS tool I’ve ever tried has been able to read them.

Ninja Ripper isnt able to rip the textures...too bad. I need to use texmod and will start this evening to „extract“ the textures of some Leaders.

Yes, thats the plan :)

You were actually right! Although I downloaded the Assets, Modbuddy didn't recognize the directory of it. So after I fill it in the Modbuddy configurations, the Asset Editor works properly! Thanks everyone and FYI if anyone else got this issue.

Hi, I know I'm late in the discussion, but I'm currently facing the same problem :

I almost finished creating a mod, but when I build it, it says "Cannot determine which pantry path to use". Looking on some forums, I saw that it was because of the Assets.
When I try to run Development Assets from steam, it says " invalid app configuration", and I can't launch the Assets Editor from the Development Tools toolbar neither...

Could you detail me how did you do to "fill it in the Modbuddy configurations" ?
Many thanks

Hi, I know I'm late in the discussion, but I'm currently facing the same problem :
I almost finished creating a mod, but when I build it, it says "Cannot determine which pantry path to use". Looking on some forums, I saw that it was because of the Assets.
When I try to run Development Assets from steam, it says " invalid app configuration", and I can't launch the Assets Editor from the Development Tools toolbar neither...

Could you detail me how did you do to "fill it in the Modbuddy configurations" ?
Many thanks

Have you installed the SDK Assets? If so maybe run Verify Integrity of Game Files.

The only cases of "Cannot determine which pantry path to use" I know of were resolved by only specifying a single element in requiredGameArtIDs rather than multiple ones.

Filling "in the Modbuddy configurations" means setting the pantry path in Options in Modbuddy - see this post. pantry path = SDK Assets path.

Hi Deliverator seems only you can help me with art assets , i adding the hat for the new unit and definitely see it in assets previewer (even with wrong color of texture but it not the first question)

fr.jpg

but after packeging in game its disapire from Unint_Bins.artdef

fro.jpg

copying and paste right Unint_Bins.artdef file dosen't help...

froz.jpg

i don't know what i am doing wrong with packeging

frozz.jpg

but BLPs are created in mod folder , assets ,Materials,Geometries are fine ...

Even after fixing bugs with name of the model still can't see the model in the game :cringe: so Unint_Bins.artdef now is fine after build ...

Attachments

• Toussaint's Template RB LUK.zip
    11.8 MB · Views: 303
Even after fixing bugs with name of the model still can't see the model in the game :cringe: so Unint_Bins.artdef now is fine after build ...
I noticed you are missing some code in your Mod.Art.xml file under gameLibraries.

<Element>
<libraryName text="Unit"/>
<relativePackagePaths>
<Element text="units/units.blp"/>
</relativePackagePaths>
</Element>

I noticed you are missing some code in your Mod.Art.xml file under gameLibraries.

<Element>
<libraryName text="Unit"/>
<relativePackagePaths>
<Element text="units/units.blp"/>
</relativePackagePaths>
</Element>
Thx a lot ! it really help...
so second question why my BaseColor texture is not working proper ?
gi.jpg
gig.jpg
mmm1.jpg

all textures saved in ABGR8

Looks like you painted over an existing texture. You will need to give the material a unique name in your geometry files and asset file and import them into AE. You can do this in Blender and export as .c6n and it will auto name it for you.

Yeah you need to make a new Material .mtl file that links to your updated Textures then link your new Asset to it.

Top Bottom