Art Assets in Civilization 6: A Modding Guide

Yeah you need to make a new Material .mtl file that links to your updated Textures then link your new Asset to it.
Looks like you painted over an existing texture. You will need to give the material a unique name in your geometry files and asset file and import them into AE. You can do this in Blender and export as .c6n and it will auto name it for you.
Thx a lot that helps ...i just don't know how editor work , thinking like modding rule first sep change existing one files after create , seem it not working with asseteditor lol

You can just copy the existing Material .mtl file and edit in Notepad++ (or another text editor) but you need to make sure that the filename matches the Name field towards the bottom without the ".mtl" extension.

You were actually right! Although I downloaded the Assets, Modbuddy didn't recognize the directory of it. So after I fill it in the Modbuddy configurations, the Asset Editor works properly! Thanks everyone and FYI if anyone else got this issue.

Hi Furion, how did you fill it in the Modbuddy configuration for the Asset Editor to work properly. Appreciate your guidance and I am not able to open/launch the Asset Editor. Appreciate any guidance. Thank You

Attachments

• 2019-12-26.png
    2019-12-26.png
    415.2 KB · Views: 294
Hi Furion, how did you fill it in the Modbuddy configuration for the Asset Editor to work properly. Appreciate your guidance and I am not able to open/launch the Asset Editor. Appreciate any guidance. Thank You

Your mod has a file called Mod.Art.xml. Just rename it to NewUnitTest.Art.xml as the pop up is suggesting and AE will open.

Pokiehl, I re-named the file to NewUnitTest.Art.xml. However, now I am viewing this error.

Attachments

• 2019-12-27.png
    2019-12-27.png
    454.2 KB · Views: 295
Pokiehl, I re-named the file to NewUnitTest.Art.xml. However, now I am viewing this error.

Try deleting the following cached folders:
../Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/AssetCloud
../Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/AssetEditor

It's worth periodically doing this if you experience any issues with the Asset Editor.

Also I've made a few updates to the sample project so that it should work again:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/example-modbuddy-project-for-3d-model-import-t-34.26004/

Deliverator, thank you for your response. I followed through your guide. Deleted the cache as well as downloaded the latest mod. Nevertheless, the Asset Editor does not work. Will try deleting and re-installing both SDK and Asset. Will update on the outcome. Thanks again for your guide.
Try deleting the following cached folders:
../Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/AssetCloud
../Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/AssetEditor

It's worth periodically doing this if you experience any issues with the Asset Editor.

Also I've made a few updates to the sample project so that it should work again:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/example-modbuddy-project-for-3d-model-import-t-34.26004/

Hey Leugi, I'm looking to design a simple skybox texture. I have the .DDS file and I'm just not quite sure how I can turn all this into a .blp file so the game can recognize it. Is there a more detailed guide to making just a skybox texture?
I have all the required tools as well, and when I open modbuddy, I'm just not sure where I go from there. I don't want to use a template, or do I? If there's a step by step guide in making this skybox, I would really appreciate it. I play in 21:9 so the madmancams skyboxes aren't really working for me since they don't stretch that far.

Hey Leugi, I'm looking to design a simple skybox texture. I have the .DDS file and I'm just not quite sure how I can turn all this into a .blp file so the game can recognize it. Is there a more detailed guide to making just a skybox texture?

1. Import your .dds texture into your Modbuddy project to generate the .tex metadata file with the class type "SkyboxTexture2D".
2. Add your texture filename to an XLP file (XML Library Package) which defines what will be cooked into your BLP.
3. Add your SkyBox.artdef pointing your XLP/BLP and texture name.
4. Add the BLP file reference to your *.Art.xml - you can use the Mod Art Generator if you want.
5. Create an UpdateArt action under InGameActions and set it to (Mod Art Dependency File).
6. Build out the mod while should cook your texture into a .blp and create a .dep file from the Mod.Art.xml.

Ressurrecting an old post. Deliverator, were you ever able to get any CiV custom animations (like this dragon) into Civ 6?

Hi @Nomad or What, long time no see! Yeah there is no issue with getting custom animations into Civ VI. A couple of units in my Steel & Thunder mods feature customized animations e.g. Javelin throw animation for the Peltast and horseback javelin throw for Numidian Cavalry also horseback sword attack anims for the Hakkapeliitta.

I never finished porting that dragon because there has never been any demand for it and I've focused on other things. It wouldn't take long to convert following the guide I made. Could even attack a fire attack like I did with the Steel & Thunder Trebuchet.

Hi @Nomad or What, long time no see! Yeah there is no issue with getting custom animations into Civ VI. A couple of units in my Steel & Thunder mods feature customized animations e.g. Javelin throw animation for the Peltast and horseback javelin throw for Numidian Cavalry also horseback sword attack anims for the Hakkapeliitta.

I never finished porting that dragon because there has never been any demand for it and I've focused on other things. It wouldn't take long to convert following the guide I made. Could even attack a fire attack like I did with the Steel & Thunder Trebuchet.

Perfect! Good to know - I just was a bit doubtful since I hadn't actually seen it in game after that post. Sad that there is no demand for fantasy genre units, though.... :(

Thanks again for your tremendous and tireless efforts!

Perfect! Good to know - I just was a bit doubtful since I hadn't actually seen it in game after that post. Sad that there is no demand for fantasy genre units, though.... :(

Someone did convert the land idle dragons for a Game of Thrones mod but that's about it. The closest thing we have to a total conversion is Firaxis' own Red Death multiplayer mode.

Sooo...on the flip side, do you think it is possible to convert the Civ 6 animations and mesh back to CiV? That GDR would make a perfect troll/knuckledragger animation... ;)

Yes, it's possible because you can export Civ 6 models and animations to Blender 2.49 via .nb2 and .na2 formats. If you really want to make sure the model and skeleton is OK you could use the .cn6 format and import to Blender 2.7* and then save with Legacy Mesh Format checked and open in Blender 2.49 before importing the .na2 animation.

For something like the GDR this would work better as the human units are made up of separate attachment models.

Yes, it's possible because you can export Civ 6 models and animations to Blender 2.49 via .nb2 and .na2 formats. If you really want to make sure the model and skeleton is OK you could use the .cn6 format and import to Blender 2.7* and then save with Legacy Mesh Format checked and open in Blender 2.49 before importing the .na2 animation.

For something like the GDR this would work better as the human units are made up of separate attachment models.

Ohhhhh, that is both awesome and hilarious! I think I'll grab the Civ 6 GDR, reskin it as a troll in CiV, then import the troll back into Civ 6 :D

Granted, I could just directly re-skin the Civ 6 GDR animation as a troll, but why? It'll only take 15 minutes to bring it back in once I am satisfied with the unit in CiV.

Now, all I have to do is work on not being so lazy and actually get it done....

No Demand :(, I'd love the dragon unit :)

Cleopatra's entire First Meet animation successfully loaded into Blender 2.79. Took 32 minutes on my laptop!

Hi guys! I'm trying to follow Leugi's tutorial to make custom units but I'm not able to put any attachments to the armor I select. They don't show up in the previewer. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance

Top Bottom