Article: How well did they create Australia in Civilization VI?

@bite
Sorry mate, I think that killed the discussion! ;)

Not bad for an ocker. TY for mentioning the Aborigines they had a bit of a bad time, maybe that's why Tasmania is missing?

I've known a lot of people that mistook Tasmania as another country. A few of my friends are Tasmanian's and often the situation goes:
"so where are you from?"
'Tasmania.'
"So you're an international too." Lol. :p

I quite like our implementation, though I think Australia might be a tad (just a little) OP currently.

I've known a lot of people that mistook Tasmania as another country. A few of my friends are Tasmanian's and often the situation goes:
"so where are you from?"
'Tasmania.'

I quite like our implementation, though I think Australia might be a tad (just a little) OP currently.

Indeed I think we may see the Outback Stations toned down a little bit in the future

Indeed I think we may see the Outback Stations toned down a little bit in the future

Awww. I'm having so much fun with them. I mean, they just look SO cool. They're the main reason that Australia has become my instant favorite civ.

I don’t know. I’ve played every civ in the game at least once, and Outback Stations are the only UI I would consider always building. I did build a few other UIs just to see what they looked like, but I wouldn’t build them for their output*. For most UIs, I’d rather just build a regular Farm/Mine/Lumber Mill instead. That doesn’t say much for the game design when I’d rather avoid them altogether. If they nerfed Outback Stations, then they too would be avoided in my gameplays, and that would be a shame. I’d rather see them buff the other UIs to bring them up to the Outback Station’s caliber.

*India’s Stepwell might be the only exception because it also gives Food.

Awww. I'm having so much fun with them. I mean, they just look SO cool. They're the main reason that Australia has become my instant favorite civ.

As am I but they are quite powerful

Turns out Outback Stations aren't really that OP as I had imagined. Their output post Steam Power basically balances flat land with improved mines and lumber mills, but are unlocked later.

Not to say they aren't good either, especially with Pastures. In fact, this ability to improve Pastures might be the only OP thing I'd consider nerfing a bit (like, +1 production to pastures per 2 adjacent Stations).

Now the appeal bonus to districts is the really OP thing. I currently have +400 gold every turn without a Market (though to be fair I went quite overboard with this game just to test their potential).

I suggested on another thread that the culture bomb effect would have made more sense if it wasn't tied to pastures, but to archaeologists and tribal village rewards as a representation of Aboriginal rock art - something static in the landscape that's of cultural significance in Australia. That might be the best way to address one of your criticisms, that the civ doesn't represent the indigenous population.

I suggested on another thread that the culture bomb effect would have made more sense if it wasn't tied to pastures, but to archaeologists and tribal village rewards as a representation of Aboriginal rock art - something static in the landscape that's of cultural significance in Australia. That might be the best way to address one of your criticisms, that the civ doesn't represent the indigenous population.

Indeed that is one option, part of me does hope that they may actually add an indigenous civ in the future

Indeed that is one option, part of me does hope that they may actually add an indigenous civ in the future

Didn't they say that keeping that option open was the reason they didn't really include references to them?

"so where are you from?"
'Tasmania.'

Don't forget that many non-Australians' first exposure to Tasmania is from the Looney Toons character Tasmanian Devil.

Didn't they say that keeping that option open was the reason they didn't really include references to them?

Yes they did, and i hope that actually happens

Now the appeal bonus to districts is the really OP thing. I currently have +400 gold every turn without a Market (though to be fair I went quite overboard with this game just to test their potential).

This. Coupled with the fact you can use policy cards to increase these even further.

Very late-game as well, but the Effiel Tower can actually provide Australia with a lot of extra resources

Last edited:
This. Coupled with the fact you can use policy cards to increase these even further.

Very late-game as well, but the Effiel Tower can actually provide Australia with a lot of extra resources

I didn't realize how much of a boost it gives you and then baam

Hey I've played Australia a couple of times now and today I got DoWed by Aztec on turn 50, they took my outlying city, so I got that awesome production boost, which ran out just before I recaptured (liberated?) the city they took. Apparently recapturing your lost city doesn't count as liberating it though, cause after I took it back, no production boost. Is this a bug? Does recapturing your city after it's been taken not count as 'liberating' a city? And if not, what is? Do you have to recapture someone else's city and give it back to them? Also, did anyone else notice the developers misspelled Ballarat?

Last edited:
Liberating is conquering a city that is owned by someone else than its founder and freeing it. You cannot liberate your own cities. You probably won't liberate a lot of cities of other civs in any game, but some City States might be liberated every now and then.

I think you can liberate our own cities. However, when you have a war where you lose a city, that city is occupied, and then you merely un-occupy it. To get liberation bonus, I think you have to cede the city (which I would never do by the way; that'd be accepting a loss and I'm just like Gorgo in that) and then declare a new war in which you liberate it.

That said, I'm not sure; didn't test it out for obvious reasons (also I've only gotten to two games since, and in the first game I barely had any wars until late in the game when I was ahead of most, while in the second game I'm off to such an awesome start that I just run in with Knights and level a walled city without any ranged help because, y'know, it's got less than 30 defense while I got my religion in that city plus the Crusader belief).

If you've ceded a city, you don't have a just claim of liberation...imo lol.

I though you could only liberate cities that you have not founded

I though you could only liberate cities that you have not founded

Your understanding is my understanding. I think in the game "liberation" is a generous thing you do for another Civ in handing their city back to them (which you took off a 3rd party); rather than the action of rescuing a city that might be yours or might not.

Top Bottom