Ashes of Erebus (RifE's Follow-up) Download and Bug Reports

If you manage to build the Nox Noctis, and Baron Duin Halfmorn, HN becomes a force multiplier. Basically nothing comes into your territory and lives, and you get lots of free units with lots of experience... :)

This is an example of one HN army I have camped near a popular entry point to my territory. Keep in mind that I'm using the half experience from combat setting...
They are all HN except the priest, and the werewolves were all captured from the barbarian civ's. The only thing you have to watch out for the werewolves is they can be spotted by an adjacent recon unit, but I have the Nox Noctis and the other units can't be spotted as long as I stay out of cities. Loads of fun, other than the bug I reported.
hn_dreams.png

You could call that The Atheist Hit Squad—lots of dead missionaries... :)

Last edited:
The thing about HN is that as a player I could handle it. After all a HN army is not so much HN when you know who might be out to get you and can metagame around that. The AI... not so much. They just see it as a barbarian doomstack. So just how do they react to this sort of thing?

I just had a thought for a game mechanic. I know the code for it would be fairly simple, I just don't know if it would be possible with Civ IV. Right now the a.i. judges you on the strength of your army. IMO that should be modified by how successful your combat actions are. You could basically take the experience generated by each attack and each successful defence, add it to the winner's army strength rating, and subtract it from the losers army strength rating. There would likely need to be a multiplier to tweak it so that it was meaningful, but not overly meaningful. That would mean that your military might would be judged not only on the number and strength of your units, but on your reputation in battle.

For the first time in a while I've been getting several non-repeatable CtDs in my current game. Mostly they've happened when I've founded a new city -- not every new city, but sometimes. I've reloaded the previous autosave and been able to play through, founding the city without a crash the second time around.

One crash happened when I had a unit buy an equipment promotion from a Master Rancher.

I remember a while back I uploaded crash dump files, but not sure how helpful those are. If there's any way to provide useful info about non-repeatable crashes, please let us know. Thanks.

For the HN units, I think stacking them with friendly units should reveal their nationality and Larry, Curly and Moe should spawn next to the city that the Pact is created in, not on it—any HN unit that spawns should not spawn stacked with a friendly civ unit. If you attempt to move a visible HN unit onto a visible friendly unit that is not HN, you should get a dialogue like the declare war dialogue which indicates that stacking them with a friendly unit will reveal their nationality. The way they work currently is exploitable, imo, especially against a.i. opponents. Invisible units like shadows shouldn't trigger the dialogue or the declare nationality.

Last edited:
I installed Civ 4, FFH2, and RiFE (latest version, 1.4). I didn't add any further mod, and I left it on the default settings (except for disabling the Hamstalfar). I was playing the Mekara Order with Iram as the leader on the Perfect World map. There are two odd things that happened. A unique terrain feature called "Darkwater Lake" appeared. There was no pedia entry and I'm not sure it did anything. I looked through some of the xml, but didn't find anything on it. I am a total noob when it comes to coding though, so I could have just looked in the wrong places. Also, I founded the Order religion, but for some reason I couldn't convert. I suspect it has the do with the "Humanist" trait Iram has. Nothing on the trait indicates that it blocks adopting a religion, although I have inferred that in previous builds it blocked it. In this build, it allows the spawning of Aspirants and lets you train sharpshooters and the like. I suspect that something with the trait might not be working right. I did a test game with another leader from the same civ where I was able to adopt the Order religion, so I think it's tied to that one leader specifically. I tried to look for the code on the traits, but I couldn't find it, so this is just speculation.

Hi, no idea for the Order thing.
However RifE / AoE has a smart bit of software that creates "terrain features labels" which are not "unique and magical".. but only flavor. so you'll get a few places on the world with some names, but there is no actual "feature", just specific mountain range, or mountain crossing, big lake, big swamp, forest, desert thingy...etc

I installed Civ 4, FFH2, and RiFE (latest version, 1.4). I didn't add any further mod, and I left it on the default settings (except for disabling the Hamstalfar). I was playing the Mekara Order with Iram as the leader on the Perfect World map. There are two odd things that happened. A unique terrain feature called "Darkwater Lake" appeared. There was no pedia entry and I'm not sure it did anything. I looked through some of the xml, but didn't find anything on it. I am a total noob when it comes to coding though, so I could have just looked in the wrong places. Also, I founded the Order religion, but for some reason I couldn't convert. I suspect it has the do with the "Humanist" trait Iram has. Nothing on the trait indicates that it blocks adopting a religion, although I have inferred that in previous builds it blocked it. In this build, it allows the spawning of Aspirants and lets you train sharpshooters and the like. I suspect that something with the trait might not be working right. I did a test game with another leader from the same civ where I was able to adopt the Order religion, so I think it's tied to that one leader specifically. I tried to look for the code on the traits, but I couldn't find it, so this is just speculation.

Yeah, it's in the leader code, but not in the trait, in the religion preferences of the leader. there's a bug as the code designed to prevent the ai from choosing certain religions also blocks it for players.

Yeah, it's in the leader code, but not in the trait, in the religion preferences of the leader. there's a bug as the code designed to prevent the ai from choosing certain religions also blocks it for players.

I see. Is there any way to fix this for players or force a conversion to a certain religion?

EDIT: I messed around in the xml files and found the CIV4LeaderHeadInfos in the Civilizations folder which had the leader religious preferences you mentioned. I also found a bug where if you have a Mekara Sluga in a Haunted Lands tile, the Sluga multiply infinitely and soft crash the game. In any case, thanks to both of you for the help in explaining what was happening.

Last edited:
Fired up my first game with SVN 340. The computer was set to have 25 civs to start -- I play with Huge maps and have never seen that, the default I think is 11 civs, so i reduced the number to 12 (I play with 60% water rather than the default of 70%, so use an extra civ).

Active modules are the following: Advanced Workers, Black Duke, Chislev Expansion, Dural, Dwarves, Emergent Leaders, Everchanging, Fortifications, Frozen, Hamstalfar, Lizard Art, MOM Bulidings, More Events, Noggormotha, PPQ Effects, PPQ Flavor, PPQ Navy, Scion Healthcare, and Werepyre.

Last edited:
One other thing with SVN 340 is that the mod is much slower than before. I'm only up to Turn 50 and it's taking from 10-15 seconds between turns after I hit "Enter" at the end of a turn. I don't remember it being that slow in the early game previously. Are there many new calculations in the latest SVN?

almost none compared to 339, but if you're using huge maps, it's probably the reason, i commited by mistake my custom setting for huge maps (which are twice as large as the standard ones). I'll commit the normal one back in next version

almost none compared to 339, but if you're using huge maps, it's probably the reason, i commited by mistake my custom setting for huge maps (which are twice as large as the standard ones). I'll commit the normal one back in next version

Sounds good.

I still can't even get a map to load yet with the SVN version. I tried downloading the files for sourceforge, but it still crashes. I tried doing a quick game before setting up a custom one. It crashes for both. I tried using the launcher provided with the mod and ran it in administrator and it didn't work. I then tried to make the original_release and the normal version of civ and it still failed. Fun fact the normal version test really bugged out and froze it while it was loading the map. idk what else to do. D:

Last edited:
may you remember me what is the windows 7 compatibility mode ? (and how to do that ?)

right click on your Bts.exe file, choose Properties, Compatibility, then windows 7 compatibility mode ( it runs the game as if your OS was Win7 instead of the most recent version)

Top Bottom