Ask a simple question, get a simple (or not) answer!

From what it seems, it just looks like I need to add Eurekas and Inspirations to my planning lists and determine opportunity costs for waiting on some. Like Drama and Poetry? I seem to recall someone say wonders are overrated, so I generally hard-civic that one and it generally doesn’t slow me down much. :)
The Pyramids are definitely worth building, at least if you're expecting your game to go past T150 (i.e. not a quick domination or religious rush). The AI doesn't seem to prioritize them too much either--very attainable before T90 or so. With a bit of Magnus chopping, you can usually get the timing to work out with Drama and Poetry. I think the Oracle is also generally worth getting for culture/science games, at least if you can build it in the city you'll want Pingala in and can put a couple theater squares around it. Downside is that you need to get it before ~T75, right when you should be probably be doing a big settler push.

The Inspiration I find most awkward to get earlier in the game is Feudalism (at least in peaceful games). It's so much culture at that stage but farms are also so bad. I often find myself looking at a ~13-16 turn timer to hard civic it and only one or two farms built. It's like, do I really want to buy a whole builder, right before they become much more efficient, just for some farms that I'm probably not even going to work?

The Pyramids are definitely worth building, at least if you're expecting your game to go past T150 (i.e. not a quick domination or religious rush). The AI doesn't seem to prioritize them too much either--very attainable before T90 or so. With a bit of Magnus chopping, you can usually get the timing to work out with Drama and Poetry. I think the Oracle is also generally worth getting for culture/science games, at least if you can build it in the city you'll want Pingala in and can put a couple theater squares around it. Downside is that you need to get it before ~T75, right when you should be probably be doing a big settler push.

The Inspiration I find most awkward to get earlier in the game is Feudalism (at least in peaceful games). It's so much culture at that stage but farms are also so bad. I often find myself looking at a ~13-16 turn timer to hard civic it and only one or two farms built. It's like, do I really want to buy a whole builder, right before they become much more efficient, just for some farms that I'm probably not even going to work?

Yeah Pyramids is doable for sure (though I like wet maps, RIP me lol), though generally I get Drama and Poetry just before Pyramids, It’s generally my next civic after a quick PP and Mysticism which I get the inspiration for easily. I could try doing other civics while waiting for the inspiration though.

It's simply a good start for newer players. Once you really have an understanding of the game you start skipping Eurekahs because you know they deter you from the optimal path. But for newer players this is incredibly hard to determine. Fk, even for me it is incredibly hard to determine most of the time. Is it worth delaying Industrialization for 5 turns in order to get the Eurekah? IDK, I'm losing out on a lot of hammers for some science.. etc.

In the end, it might be optimal to purposefully ignore/miss a Eurekah to get a key tech, but this decision requires extensive knowledge of the game and its diverging paths!

The point of this approach is that if you try and get every Eurekah, new players will feel very fast that some Eurekahs are hard to get, some may slow them down, and honestly, which ones are easier/harder to get depends on your playstyle. So the idea is by focussing on Eurekahs/Inspos you get an instinctive, personal understanding of which one you deem essential and which ones you don't, instead of just copying/parroting what "better" players do, you feel me? Approaching Civ in this way is, imho, almost always better. Learning something by doing is more effective, helpful and more easily remembered than being told what to do

I feel like one of the things I have to overcome the most is that during my younger Civ days, I was overly attracted to build orders (think approximately Civ II). I had to get over those habits (still do - well, other habits, but still, playing Civ is about breaking habits). Civ is just really complicated, so it is really easy to latch on to the first thing that works and then get frustrated when that strategy no longer works for you (especially if you are playing on a lower difficulty, then try to move up to a higher one) instead of learning a new way. So I'm a bit hesitant whenever answers become really simple.

That said, the process that taught me the most about how to get the right "feel" for Civ 6 balance was to plan out the number of Districts I was going to build based on getting all the relevant Eurekas/Inspirations, and then improvising a strategy from the results of that play. Which, might be fun and informative to actually list out the process, now that I think about it. So:

"Okay, 1 District for State Workforce. 2 Campuses for Recorded History. 1 Encampment for Military Training. 3 Trade Route Districts for Guilds, 2 of them have to be Commercial Hubs. 2 Holy Sites for Divine Right. At least one Theater Square for Humanism and Natural History."

"But if I'm going for a Culture Victory, do I need 2 Campuses that early?"
"Is it really worth delaying Exploration so I can finish my Markets?"
"I definitely don't think it is worth building Holy Sites just to get the boost for Divine Right."
"It turns out I actually need to build a fair amount of Theater Squares to get an Artist before I hit Humanism in my Science Victory. Is it really worth it, or should I just focus on my Science?"
"Ok, I see that it may not be necessary to get these particular Inspirations, but it is pretty clear the game expects you to have about 2 Campuses, a Wonder, a Theater Square, and 4 trade routes by this point in the game. That gives me a good guideline to evaluate the pace of my play."

So yes, In short, "I feel ya, man"

but it is pretty clear the game expects you to have about 2 Campuses
... does it? I have played plenty of games without any campuses going for a CV or an RV.
I play games to see if I can survive without things and you learn a lot.
100% inspirations and Eurekas is doable but in reality a rare thing that may easily send you off track.
Equally the same ones just does not work.
I can play England one game and get 3 workshops in time, in another game I just cannot even get 1 IZ up.
This iteration is best through choice not difficulty. which is why a low turn score is a better measurement than just "winning". These people that just want to have some piece of finishing tape that says win/lose I feel are missing something.
The path you tread is often better than the destination you reach.

... does it? I have played plenty of games without any campuses going for a CV or an RV.
100% inspirations and Eurekas is doable but in reality a rare thing that may easily send you off track.
Equally the same ones just does not work.
I can play England one game and get 3 workshops in time, in another game I just cannot even get 1 IZ up.
This iteration is best through choice not difficulty. which is why a low turn score is a better measurement than just "winning". These people that just want to have some piece of finishing tape that says win/lose I feel are missing something.
The path you tread is often better than the destination you reach.

I think we (meaning, people with 1000+ hours of game time plus who knows how many hours of game time in earlier versions of Civ - personally I've been reading this site and Apolyton for something like 20 years) underestimate our deep understanding of the game. We have what is called "the Curse of Knowledge". The more intimate your knowledge of the game, the harder it is to explain to someone new. So yes, all of these things, plus many more, are true. The goal here is to make things digestible enough for new players that they can go on to learn all the exceptions.

Imagine opening the Civic and Tech trees for the first time if you NEVER played Civ before. There are so many little assumptions that we aren't even really aware of that a new player has to, well, be made aware of. Break it down, make it simple.

Recorded History is an important Civic. It basically says "you really should get 2 Campuses". That's all a new player needs. Later, we can ask all the questions and do some experimenting, like:

Which are really important to spark further learning and growth once a player has the basics down. So:

1. Break things down to really basic fundamentals, never mind the fine details and exceptions.
2. Ask more detailed questions, and do more detailed experiments to improve.

New players need to remember to move on to #2, but experienced players need to remember #1 is okay for brand new players.

Top Bottom