Aspyr Releases Civ V for Mac!

I own a MAC and PC; but I would rather that the developer concentrated on a comprehensive re-write of the game instead of using its resources to make a MAC version availoable; there are much more pressing issues to be addressed / corrected / changed / improved / made more interesting.

CiV is so boring; such tantalising possibilities but sadly so ****** boring.

Oh gosh your ignorant.

I own a MAC and PC; but I would rather that the developer concentrated on a comprehensive re-write of the game instead of using its resources to make a MAC version availoable; there are much more pressing issues to be addressed / corrected / changed / improved / made more interesting.

CiV is so boring; such tantalising possibilities but sadly so ****** boring.
:nope: Firaxis contracted it out to a company specialized in Mac ports, rest assured that Firaxis is working on the problems
No mods? This just means that all those Mac-users already having the PC-version and getting the Mac-version for free will just stick with the PC-version anyway.

What a weird release this. Ten points for trying though.
Ten points for having it approximately two months after release and less buggy than Civ IV! It appears the no modding ability is (almost*)solely Firaxis's fault because they coded in .NET
More specifically there is no Modbuddy or Worldbuilder, if Firaxis made them part of the Civ V engine it would have been much easier. Mac users can do XML and Lua mods, but no DLL since

*And partially Apple's fault for blocking a massive exploit vector with their insane idea of making it much harder for viruses and trojans, the audacity!

Well hopefully now that it is released, aspyr can work on patching to 621 or future patches at the same time Firaxis does, so at least MAC and PC MP players can play to gether.....lack of mods does suck though since eventually even MP will need to use mods to keep the community active and interested in new things.

CS

This just means that all those Mac-users already having the PC-version and getting the Mac-version for free will just stick with the PC-version anyway.

Not so much due to the mods, but due to the version (621).

Well hopefully now that it is released, aspyr can work on patching to 621 or future patches at the same time Firaxis does,

This is what bothers me. Aspyr has stated that they plan/hope to have their patch out within a month, but will that patch bring it up to 621, or will it include the soon-to-be released patch by Firaxis? If Firaxis releases their patch soon, then hopefully Aspyr will have time to include it in their patch.

For now I'll continue playing on the PC side.

Not so much due to the mods, but due to the version (621).

This is what bothers me. Aspyr has stated that they plan/hope to have their patch out within a month, but will that patch bring it up to 621, or will it include the soon-to-be released patch by Firaxis? If Firaxis releases their patch soon, then hopefully Aspyr will have time to include it in their patch.

In the thread in the Mac subsection, one of the guys from Aspyr (rickb I believe?) said we'd get the patch with some features that are planned for the next PC patch, and we'd get it before the PC version would get it. Or so I remember. :crazyeye: Don't quote me on this lol.

This either means we get the next patch early and will be at the same level as the PC version when the PC version gets the patch.. or that we'll get yet another incompatible patch with everything from 621 + some from the next patch, but without ability to be compatible with the PC version yet. :confused::crazyeye:

In the thread in the Mac subsection, one of the guys from Aspyr (rickb I believe?) said we'd get the patch with some features that are planned for the next PC patch, and we'd get it before the PC version would get it. Or so I remember. :crazyeye: Don't quote me on this lol.

This either means we get the next patch early and will be at the same level as the PC version when the PC version gets the patch.. or that we'll get yet another incompatible patch with everything from 621 + some from the next patch, but without ability to be compatible with the PC version yet. :confused::crazyeye:

That's great! If pc and Mac have the same patch, can saves be transferred over steam? Or will that never be possible?

what, disliking macs because they are not designed for gaming is ignorance and not an opinion? Sorry sir, but i believe its an opinion. if someone dislikes windows, its an opinion, not ignorance.

Ignorance because you can't use proper grammar and because you think gaming on a Mac is somehow not profitable. Also ignorance because you think gaming is an intrinsic quality of Windows and not just a marketing bias.

Ignorance because if you knew anything you'd know gaming on the mac is profitable or else these people wouldn't do it.

And ignorance because you probably don't even know Valve Software is one of the fathers of modern gaming.

Moderator Action: You made your point with one use of the word "ignorant". Repeated use only makes it appear that your motives are more than honorable. Please refrain from such aggressive posting.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

proper grammar is irrelevant. if you can understand it, good enough. i don't need to use additional effort and slower typing to make sure everything's correct.

gaming is an intrinsic quality of windows. if it wasn't, WINE wouldn't exist for Linux and you wouldn't have to dual boot a mac to play most games.

and no, i don't know that valve is one of the fathers of modern gaming.

i maintain that it is an opinion.

proper grammar is irrelevant. if you can understand it, good enough. i don't need to use additional effort and slower typing to make sure everything's correct.

gaming is an intrinsic quality of windows. if it wasn't, WINE wouldn't exist for Linux and you wouldn't have to dual boot a mac to play most games.

You clearly misunderstand the word intrinsic: belonging naturally; essential; inherent. Games are only made primarily for Windows because it is the dominant operating system, have you noticed that as the OS X market share becomes larger more games come out for it? OpenGL 4.1 is equal to DX 11 when OGL 4.2 comes out it will pull ahead

You lose 10 credibility points for not even trying at your grammar. Your grammar makes you look like your ten.

Moderator Action: warned for flaming -- discuss the topic, not the poster
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

You clearly misunderstand the word intrinsic: belonging naturally; essential; inherent. Games are only made primarily for Windows because it is the dominant operating system, have you noticed that as the OS X market share becomes larger more games come out for it? OpenGL 4.1 is equal to DX 11 when OGL 4.2 comes out it will pull ahead

OpenGL... isn't that obsolete in windows?

You lose 10 credibility points for not even trying at your grammar. Your grammar makes you look like your ten.

Moderator Action: warned for flaming -- discuss the topic, not the poster

the only thing i'm missing is capitalization. if that makes me look 9 years younger, than thanks. ive always wanted to look young :)

*facepalm* You have got to be trolling.

My point with Valve was that they found a method to make their Source Engine run on a Mac, and it does. Very well. A lot of their formerly PC-only games can now be played on Mac.

And you can read up on Valve yourself, and see they aren't a fluke or anything to be callously swept away from this analysis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Corporation

You might also try learning about how computers work because it is clear you have no idea.

the only thing i'm missing is capitalization. if that makes me look 9 years younger, than thanks. ive always wanted to look young :)

Let's see what uses OpenGL: Photoshop CS3-5, Call of Duty Series, Doom 3&4, Minecraft, Second Life, 3DS Max, Maya, Blender, Google SketchUp & Google Earth, Furmark etc, not obsolete!

PS Skwink Caesar has a grammar error in his post :lol:
Moderator Action: I'm serious. You have just earned a short ban.

This is fantastic news! I was a lifetime PC user who ditched it for a Macbook Pro last year (I do video editing in my spare, non civing time) and have never looked back. My solution for games has been to run Windows on a second partition (via Boot Camp), where games run fine, except for some sub-optimal drivers here and there. This does cause one hassle though, I have to reboot my computer into the Windows partition anytime I want to play. Now, I don't have to, and it's free.

Sure, it sucks that they couldn't implement modding, but my answer is simply to keep 2 copies of the game installed, one on each partition. That way If I want to play vanilla CiV quickly, I load it in OS X and if I want to play a mod, I'll reboot in Windows. It's not a perfect solution, perhaps, but it's better than having to pay another $50 for the mac port, or not getting one at all for another 9 months.

I do have one concern though. I fear that the Aspyr port may run slower than the Firaxis counterpart (I've heard this is the case with other games). I'm above the minimum specs with a Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, and a Geforce 9600M GT, but I had to play in DirectX 9 mode to keep my frame rate smooth in Windows. I'm downloading it now, but hopefully I won't have to sacrifice any more picture quality to keep my 30fps.

Top Bottom