Asset Editor DDS Import Problem

PonderThis

Warlord
I can't seem to be able to import a .dds file I've created in the Asset Editor. I've boiled this down to as simple a setup as I can:
  • In ModBuddy ...
    • Start Empty Project "TestingStartWithEmptyMod".
    • Start Asset Editor
    • In Asset Editor ...
      • New Document
        • Select ArtDef
        • Change template type to "UserInterfaceBLPs"
        • Save UserInterface.artdef in ArtDefs directory.
      • New Document
        • Select XLP
        • Enter anything for package name. Tried both "UI/Icons" and just "MyIcons", makes no difference.
        • Select UITexture in the XLP Class drop-down list. This is automatically copied to Module Name.
        • Save Icons.xlp in the XLPs directory.
  • Switch over to Desktop.
    • Quickly draw a dumb face inside a circle and save it as a 512x512 png.
    • In paint.net, open png, resize to 32x32, save as two A8R8G8B8 dds files, with and without mipmaps.
    • In gimp, open png, resize to 32x32, export as two dds files using Compression: None, Format: Default, Mipmaps: One with "No Mipmaps" and one with "Generate Mipmaps".
  • Back to ModBuddy
    • New Document
      • Select Texture
      • Change name to LEADER_ICON_32
      • Select UserInterface in Class Name drop-down list.
      • Source File Path: Path
        • Navigate to my ArtSource directory, outside the main project directory.
        • Select any of the four .dds files I've created.
      • After selecting LeaderIcon_paintnet_32.dds file I get this dialog:
        Sync Source Files
        The following source files are out of date. Sync them to continue with export?

C:\Users\username\Documents\Firaxis ModBuddy\Civilization VI\TestingStartWithEmptyMod\ArtSource\LeaderIcon_paintnet_32.dds​
      • Click [Yes] *or* [No], I get the same result:
        Export Failure
        The following entities failed the export process.

LEADER_ICON_32: Entity (LEADER_ICON_32)'s source file (C:\Users\username\Documents\Firaxis ModBuddy\Civilization VI\TestingStartWithEmptyMod\ArtSource\LeaderIcon_paintnet_32.dds) is out of date. Sync the source file before reimporting it!​
    • Same result with any of the four .dds files.
    • However, if I use an existing icon (such as D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI SDK Assets\pantry\Textures\Montezuma32.dds) it works perfectly.

I've attached the four .dds files just in case the problem lays with those files. Of course if that's the problem, that opens up a different can of worms. I.e., how is the same problem manifesting itself with both paint.net and gimp?

Attachments

• LeaderIcons.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 124
Found it! Of all the squirelly things ...

It turns out that the folder where you are storing your art source *must* be on the same drive as your steam installation. I opted for a non-standard Steam installation by putting it on drive D:, which is probably why no one else has run into this problem (yet). So for future reference, when I navigated to my art via drive D: everything worked without an error.

Hmmm. I can only tell you what I did. I started with the files in a subdirectory within the ModBuddy directory. I then moved that subdirectory out to Documents itself and the problem remained. It wasn't until I moved it from C: to D: that the problem disappeared. So if it's not a matter of being on a specific drive, then maybe ModBuddy doesn't like something about how my Documents directory is set up? I mention this only in case someone has this same error in the future; as far as I'm concerned I've got it solved even if I don't know what exactly I did solved it.

The blue layer means you are not creating your .tex files from inside modbuddy. Or you are rewriting them, or have changed the .dds manually. See my post on the subject to fathom how this works.

The blue layer means you are not creating your .tex files from inside modbuddy. Or you are rewriting them, or have changed the .dds manually. See my post on the subject to fathom how this works.
I have created them from inside modbuddy. I haven't changed either the .tex or the .dds mannualy. And I have followed your post and your mod, but I'll try it again.
I was however getting some error when creating the .tex "failed to desserialize" I think. Maybe that's it but I'll redo the steps and see

It sounds like you have manually edited the tex or edited the the .dds after it was imported via asset editor.

You need to delete the icon & reimport it with Asset Editor

Top Bottom