At War Bugs (Latest Patch out now 04-16-2017)

Bridgeboy69

Chieftain
Edit: Game Version is 1.0.0.129 (260180) (I can't figure out how to edit the topic Title)

Two war bugs have happened to me in this game I'm in now.

1) Holy War with No Religion!

I have no religion. I never get one in any game; the AI's always grab them up way before me. I do have one pantheon, but that's it. I'm playing on Deity.

Germany scolded me awhile back for my prothlysizers in his territory (I have none as it's impossible with no religion).

Now he just declared a Holy War on me even though we've been otherwise getting along well.

Edit: Question posed to me:

Leyrann said:
"Do you have a majority religion maybe? Wouldn't explain the apostle problems, I guess, but it would explain the Holy War I think."

My Answer:

No I don't have a majority religion. As a matter of fact most of my cities are still just on my pantheon and have not been converted to a religion yet.

This is the description for a holy war: "Used to declare war on a power that has Religiously converted one of your cities. All Warmonger penalties halved."
I haven't converted any cities as I don't own a religion and cannot create apostles. I am allied with China, however, who has a religion and sends apostles around, so Germany may (erroneously) be blaming me for it.

Another apparent glitch is that Russia is at war with me and they had their apostles in my lands and the game let my military units land on them and they disappeared and -(negative) influence for their religion came out of my nearby cities. I don't know what that was all about as I thought military units couldn't kill religious units...I thought only religious units could interact with religious units.

2) City States Declaring War on me but think I declared War on Them:

I'll copy and paste what I wrote in the section about the City States Guide:

Good guide, however, this part is not true:

"However, you do not lose your Envoys if you find yourself at war with a City-State for other reasons. For example, if you declare war on another Civilization that is Suzerain of a City-State, that City-State will declare on you, but you will not lose your Envoys. You can even send additional Envoys while at war in order to become Suzerain, and the City-State will switch sides in the war."

I am playing a game now and Montezuma of the Aztecs declared war on me. Montezuma is the suzerain of Valletta, which in turn declared war on me. All of my envoys went to zero in Valletta and there were no option to send more if I wanted; I had more envoys available but I could not send them there while at war. We have since made peace and I did not get any envoys back; it is still at zero.

The same thing happened with Russia and Seoul, however, I am still at war with Russia (and Seoul) but my guess is I have permanently lost my envoys at Seoul even when we eventually make peace just like what happened with Aztecs/Valletta.

Edit: Even though I'm now at Peace with Valletta, I still can't send anymore envoys there, it doesn't give me the option, the arrow to clicking to send an envoy is greyed out and hovering the mouse over Valletta's name says I declared war on them; but I DID NOT. Peter of Russia declared war on me, and then Valletta declared war on me. Must be a new bug.

Seoul says the same thing: that I declared war on them, but I didn't.

I can never forevermore send any envoys to Valletta (or Seoul) regardless of whether we are at peace or war. I guess they will hold a grudge about it until the end of time because they believe I declared war on them, even though I didn't. Seems like a definite bug/glitch.

Edit: I just got 3 more envoys and took a pic: see attached and look at Valletta and Seoul. The pop up message is covering the area with Valletta where the at war icon would be, but I'm at peace with them now. Still at War with Seoul though.

IMG_4486.JPG

Last edited:
Another apparent glitch is that Russia is at war with me and they had their apostles in my lands and the game let my military units land on them and they disappeared and -(negative) influence for their religion came out of my nearby cities. I don't know what that was all about as I thought military units couldn't kill religious units...I thought only religious units could interact with religious units.

Military units can kill religious units if you re at war with the owner of the religious units. When those religious units are killed, a wave of negative religious pressure spreads to nearby cities, reducing the influence of the religion represented by those (now-dead) religious units. Could it be that when you killed those Russian religious units, you inadvertently converted an Arabian city, causing Saladin to start his Holy War with you?

Military units can kill religious units if you re at war with the owner of the religious units. When those religious units are killed, a wave of negative religious pressure spreads to nearby cities, reducing the influence of the religion represented by those (now-dead) religious units. Could it be that when you killed those Russian religious units, you inadvertently converted an Arabian city, causing Saladin to start his Holy War with you?
OK, I didn't know that mechanic existed.

I suppose when I landed my military units on Peter of Russia's apostles within my territory, and thus killed them i guess, and i saw negative religious influence float away from my nearby cities, that I guess influence from nearby Germany (Frederick Barbarossa) might have also lost influence from that religion, but that still would not have been Germany's owned religion; it would have reduced Russia's owned religion within his cities. Perhaps they converted religions, but it still would not have been HIS religion as I was not at war with him yet anyway until he declared a Holy War upon me, which means I didn't "kill" his apostles, I killed another religious competitor's apostles (Russia's apostles).

I hope that made sense. :crazyeye:

Fact is that one of his city got converted because of one of your action, doesn't matter if it's his own religion or apostles from another empire. I don't think it's a bug, just a weird mechanic.

They'll go 'stop converting my cities' and 'holy war' stuff even if you kill their religious units on YOUR territory and convert their nearby city this way. Even though it was them who tried to convert you.

Top Bottom