Austria Unique Ability Discussion

Would you suggest 15 turns? Because I feel 10 turns would be a little short for a permanent vote.

Would you suggest 15 turns? Because I feel 10 turns would be a little short for a permanent vote.

I don't, the 20 turn timer was added to avoid Austria instantly flipping and city and then removing it from the city-state pool. It was sort of a added so there would be a counter to the Austrian UA. Now that it doesn't take out the city-state instead just giving you diplomatic advantages over it I really don't see a point of such a long cooldown timer.

After playing Austria, and having everyone grabbing city states around me (despite the ones next to them don't have an ally), I agree with Funak on the 20 turns being a little too restrictive. Previously I thought 10 turns would be too little, but it doesn't seem to be the case right now when my city states keep flipping so often.

Guys, what tips and hints can you give me for playing Austria on Immortal?

Which policy tree would you choose?
Which technologies would you prefer to reach 1st?
Which wonders would you aim for?
Will you go for religion?

Remember, its for the immortal difficulty. AI is rather good at economy, culture and fairth; it has decent amount of troops.

Tradition/Aethetics/Industry yields better start but Progress/Aethetics/Industry will give more money from mid-game once you establish ~10 cities.

Guys, what tips and hints can you give me for playing Austria on Immortal?

Which policy tree would you choose?
Which technologies would you prefer to reach 1st?
Which wonders would you aim for?
Will you go for religion?

Remember, its for the immortal difficulty. AI is rather good at economy, culture and fairth; it has decent amount of troops.

Tradition-Statecraft-Industry
Anyway you may want to choose progress if you have lot of land to expand. if you have to choose early, pick tradition. I usually aim for Oracle, and sometimes Artemis Temple OR hanging Gardens for great capital with tradition buff. Build scrivener's office asap and get an allied CS fast then try to save money and marry asap. If you can get a religion is better, but it isn't a problem when you can't.
As techs, I usually go for animal husbandry->pottery-> trade->writing/military theory->the other->mathematics, with deviation for resources.

Austria one of my fav civs [emoji4]

Edit:mistakes corrected

From what I've noticed when you're going for diplo-victory, you really can't rely on some AI to defend your CSs for you, you must be willing to go to war with someone that's trying to capture them or preemptively dow the mongols before he has a chance to annex them.
For that purpose you pretty much have to go for Authority as a first tree.

Authority -> Statecraft -> (up to your choice, all three have merit here).

For Technologies, my choices usually varies with the starting terrain.

Early game wonders that are good for diplomacy are Petra, Colossus, Forum, Temple of Artemis. Other than these there aren't really any that stands out to the extreme, I mean most wonders are good but they are good for pretty much all civs and strategies.

Going for a religion does usually help.

Actually i think taking authority is not worth it. Progress or tradition are way better if you don't want to make a LOT of war. You can still build an army and Dow with other policies and they give way more bonuses in growth culture and science. Then if you don't conquer much, things authority gives become obsolete quite early.

Actually i think taking authority is not worth it. Progress or tradition are way better if you don't want to make a LOT of war. You can still build an army and Dow with other policies and they give way more bonuses in growth culture and science. Then if you don't conquer much, things authority gives become obsolete quite early.

You don't have anywhere near enough hammers to make an early army when going for progress or tradition on a higher difficulty, especially not as a civ without any early-game advantages.

You don't have anywhere near enough hammers to make an early army when going for progress or tradition on a higher difficulty, especially not as a civ without any early-game advantages.

With progress you do have enough hammers to let you build an army, if the problem is to liberate the CSs and defend the ones which are getting attacked. If Mongols become an issue and you want you wipe them out, you can do it with progress as well as with authority.

You don't have enough gold to marry CSes at the stage where Authority is relevant either.

Guys, thank you for your answers!

Which technologies would you aim for playing Austria on Immortal?

You don't have enough gold to marry CSes at the stage where Authority is relevant either.

Sure you do, you just have to prioritize. Besides, if you build roads and field a decent sized army, you're making way more gold as Authority than you would as Tradition or Progress, I mean progress 2g per city pretty much equates to the 50% road discount of authority, and Tradition only gets an extra merchant.

Sure you do, you just have to prioritize. Besides, if you build roads and field a decent sized army, you're making way more gold as Authority than you would as Tradition or Progress, I mean progress 2g per city pretty much equates to the 50% road discount of authority, and Tradition only gets an extra merchant.

Last Game with Austria I played tradition and I married 2 CSs in classical era so you definitely have enough gold to marry, if you go progress or authority you just have more.

Last Game with Austria I played tradition and I married 2 CSs in classical era so you definitely have enough gold to marry, if you go progress or authority you just have more.

Which is exactly what I said.

You only need to completely like 2 or 3 "Connect a resource" quests to get enough money for a marriage anyways, it's not that bad.

Guys, does diplomatic marriage eliminate ALL influence decay or just "natural" decay?

In my recent Austria game (latest patch, auto-installed after clean up) enemy great diplomat reduced one of my married CS to -60 influence. Then influenced had stalled for eternity at -60.

Looks like a bug or a double-edged UA sword for me...

Guys, does diplomatic marriage eliminate ALL influence decay or just "natural" decay?

In my recent Austria game (latest patch, auto-installed after clean up) enemy great diplomat reduced one of my married CS to -60 influence. Then influenced had stalled for eternity at -60.

Looks like a bug or a double-edged UA sword for me...

Yeah that happens.
But at least the Austrian UA doesn't eliminate the influence gained from Merchant confederacy and treaty organization the way Cold War does.

By the way I'm not 100% sure what you're complaining about so I'll clarify.

Austria still losing CS whenever another civ uses a great diplomat is intended, I think you also still lose influence if another civ finishes a global quest before you, those aren't exactly decays, they are something else.

However if you're complaining about how your influence wont recover up to your restingpoint again if it drops below, then yeah that probably shouldn't be the case, I'd report it somewhere if I were you.

Yeah that happens.
However if you're complaining about how your influence wont recover up to your restingpoint again if it drops below, then yeah that probably shouldn't be the case, I'd report it somewhere if I were you.

It stays at -60 for eternity after a GD hits.
It still gets me +15% GP generation, but doesnt recover.
I'll report it for sure.

Top Bottom