Austrian Hussar

Bromar1

King
I like the Austrian UU's ability. The vision and lightning warfare make it pretty fun to use. However, it's stats are pretty underwhelming for how late it comes. As Austria, I was just fighting against India, my Hussars against his Naga Malla (cuirasser replacement) and with roughly equal promotions. The elephants were doing 30 damage to my Hussars while they were returning 32 damage. Seems pretty unfair considering that the Hussars (cavalry replacement) are supposed to be an upgrade to cuirassers... Ignoring zone of control is cool but doesn't mean much if they get around the flank only to be easily squashed. I feel like they need a defensive stat boost.

Edit: Hussar is actually a cavalry replacement, Naga Malla is heavy cuirasser

Last edited:
I like the Austrian UU's ability. The vision and lightning warfare make it pretty fun to use. However, it's stats are pretty underwhelming for how late it comes. As Austria, I was just fighting against India, my Hussars against his Naga Malla (cuirasser replacement) and with roughly equal promotions. The elephants were doing 30 damage to my Hussars while they were returning 32 damage. Seems pretty unfair considering that the Hussars (heavy cuirasser replacement) are supposed to be an upgrade to cuirassers... Ignoring zone of control is cool but doesn't mean much if they get around the flank only to be easily squashed. I feel like they need a defensive stat boost.
India's Naga Mala is also supposed to be an upgrade to the cuirassier, and its got really bad mobility compared to the Hussar, so this example confuses me. They should be evenly matched, or even lean towards the elephant for raw power. Granted, Austria as a whole isn't very strong in my opinion

Last edited:
This should probably be moved to Austria thread.

India's Naga Mala is also supposed to be an upgrade to the cuirassier, and its got really bad mobility compared to the Hussar, so this example confuses me. They should be evenly matched, or even lean towards the elephant for raw power. Granted, Austria as a whole isn't very strong in my opinion

I played Austria couple of times and i strongly disagree with both of you. Hussar is weak, but Austria's UA is incredibly strong. Thing is - everyone thinks Austria is designed for diplomatic victory and it is actually not! Austria is probably top2 tourism civ alongside with Arabia and i'm not sure who is stronger. I encourage everyone to play Austria this way: Authority -> Aesthetics -> Industry. Focus on gold and production, spam diplomatic units, by the time you hit modern era you'll have +200% to all great person in your capital and you will outperform any tradition civ

I think I misspoke. Hussar is actually a cavalry replacement and Naga Malla is a cuirasser replacement. So Hussar is supposed to be a direct upgrade to cuirasser. The fact that they are evenly matched in terms of damage makes it hard to justify building Hussars in the first place. I find Hussars to be the weakest cavalry replacement in the game.
I just think it needs more defensive strength to help it achieve its role of fast scout, flanker unit.

This should probably be moved to Austria thread.

I played Austria couple of times and i strongly disagree with both of you. Hussar is weak, but Austria's UA is incredibly strong. Thing is - everyone thinks Austria is designed for diplomatic victory and it is actually not! Austria is probably top2 tourism civ alongside with Arabia and i'm not sure who is stronger. I encourage everyone to play Austria this way: Authority -> Aesthetics -> Industry. Focus on gold and production, spam diplomatic units, by the time you hit modern era you'll have +200% to all great person in your capital and you will outperform any tradition civ

I looked around and there only seemed to be a Austria UA thread.
And I don't disagree with you. Austria is much more great person oriented, and is more suited to a tourism or science victory. I don't think that justifies a weak UU.

I think I misspoke. Hussar is actually a cavalry replacement and Naga Malla is a cuirasser replacement. So Hussar is supposed to be a direct upgrade to cuirasser. The fact that they are evenly matched in terms of damage makes it hard to justify building Hussars in the first place. I find Hussars to be the weakest cavalry replacement in the game.
I just think it needs more defensive strength to help it achieve its role of fast scout, flanker unit.

I'm not exactly sure where you're getting this non-sense from to be honest. The Hussar is rolling 48 RCS while the cuirassier got 32 RCS, that's nowhere near the same amount of damage, that's a 50% advantage.

As far as being the weakest Cavalry replacement, that's the Comanche for sure. Between the Hussar the Cossack and the Berber however I'm not really sure who would win out, but it's probably the Hussar or the Cossack.

I looked around and there only seemed to be a Austria UA thread.
And I don't disagree with you. Austria is much more great person oriented, and is more suited to a tourism or science victory. I don't think that justifies a weak UU.
Strong UA weak UU. Strong UU, weak UA. Sounds reasonable to me

I could have sworn the Hussar replaced the cuirassier, was this changed? Either way I would support moving it earlier, there are currently 4 cavalry UUs

I usually don't even reach modern era with Arabia, I win via tourism the turn I get my ideology. Austria has really poor early game, and I don't her late game is even that great. It takes a large amount of resources to get all those marriages and you make enemies by pursuing city states.

Strong UA weak UU. Strong UU, weak UA. Sounds reasonable to me
Wait, India is a weak UA strong UU civ? Half price great prophets are weak, but the naga mala is strong?

I usually don't even reach modern era with Arabia, I win via tourism the turn I get my ideology. Austria has really poor early game, and I don't her late game is even that great. It takes a large amount of resources to get all those marriages and you make enemies by pursuing city states.

Same happened to me, but i tried it only once, so i was not sure. Thats probably a sign that we should nerf Arabia a bit
Wait, India is a weak UA strong UU civ? Half price great prophets are weak, but the naga mala is strong?

No, that was about Austria. However i'm not sure about India, to me it seems not that good. You will get a religion, thats true, but your religion will be bad cause you cant spread and you play without reformation. But that should be discussed in another thread

I could have sworn the Hussar replaced the cuirassier, was this changed? Either way I would support moving it earlier, there are currently 4 cavalry UUs

Moving the Hussar makes sense to me.

No, that was about Austria. However i'm not sure about India, to me it seems not that good. You will get a religion, thats true, but your religion will be bad cause you cant spread and you play without reformation. But that should be discussed in another thread
I'm just trying to make sense of what you are saying. Because earlier you stated the Hussar was weak, but the UA very strong. But now you say the UA weak, but UU strong

I think Austria is weak. Hussar and coffee house are nothing special, and both are very late. The UA is slow and situational. Yea its a really powerful tool by modern era, but so are a bunch of other things.

Moving the Hussar makes sense to me.
I suggested moving the Shoshone cav-replacement instead, but honestly it doesn't really matter much which one moves.

I'm just trying to make sense of what you are saying. Because earlier you stated the Hussar was weak, but the UA very strong. But now you say the UA weak, but UU strong

I think Austria is weak. Hussar and coffee house are nothing special, and both are very late. The UA is slow and situational. Yea its a really powerful tool by modern era, but so are a bunch of other things.
Well I've been complaining about the coffee house for ages, but since I haven't played Austria since their two last buffs (extra quest-rewards and culture to science conversion in the UB) I kinda stopped pushing them.

I do still however think the the Hussar is a decent enough unit, and the few times I've gotten one from a city-state I've been really happy about it.

Don't mind) Things messed up a bit.

I suggested moving the Shoshone cav-replacement instead, but honestly it doesn't really matter much which one moves.

Well I've been complaining about the coffee house for ages, but since I haven't played Austria since their two last buffs (extra quest-rewards and culture to science conversion in the UB) I kinda stopped pushing them.

I do still however think the the Hussar is a decent enough unit, and the few times I've gotten one from a city-state I've been really happy about it.

The carbines of the Hussar look better in-game in the renaissance than the long rifles of the Comanche UU. That's my biggest reason. :)

G

Top Bottom