Autumn 2017 Patch General Discussion

Has the cede city diplomacy option been fixed? As after the peace treaty, it's shown as occupied and hasn't grown anymore. So I suppose it wasn't ceded in the peace treaty.
Another strange thing is that China completed Stonehenge before the war, but hasn't found a religion. Could it be that the Great Prophet was captured by barbarians (or is it returned to the city when it's attacked)? I hope it's not a bug related to the low religion preference for Qin.

I noticed the same thing yesterday, but I think it's because of something different. My assumption is because Qin has a low religion preference, he won't found a religion and will just let the prophet sit there forever. The prophet is out of the GP list, but the religions remained at Prophets - 1 for the whole time.

I hope that's a bug and not a "feature" since of course the game will be one religion short.

On another note, again just on Immortal, I am currently staring at 4 barb warriors and 2 barb slingers on or inside the borders of my capital. On turn TWENTY. On epic ffs....

EDIT: If a civ doesn't want a religion, then maybe it should be programmed to *not* build Stonehenge? Just sayin'....

Ever wonder if some of the posts that are a little TOO ecstatic about the awesome patch are from Fireaxis moles?

Naw, it's just the summer patch was so bad, that we're just happy they fixed most of what they broke last summer. It's pretty bad the bar is set that low that we are happy for fixing things they broke.

As for my game, I finally have enough access with Nubia to see that I'm getting -103 modifier because I'm winning. I have 3 capitals, but there are still 6 civilizations still left in the game. Oh well.

edit: I set my animations to high, and I'm still not seeing any motion blur. good by me.

I still get trade requests for extremely low amounts of gold. Granted I'm not well liked right now, but what's the point of me trading a luxury for 6 whole gold. yippee. I still accept many times, but I'm not sure if that gets them to like me any better.

The trade bug released by the last patch was the reverse problem - the AI would give you anything and everything for not much in return.
As to them being cheap? Well, you don't have to put out the first time they ask! ;)

EDIT: If a civ doesn't want a religion, then maybe it should be programmed to *not* build Stonehenge? Just sayin'....

Esp seeing as if China is in the game, they will likely build Stonehenge...

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the naval AI, here's my anecdote. Keep in mind this refers to a modded game using my Combined Tweaks mod, which affects balance but not directly AI.

Sometime in the late Medieval period, I happened to get hold of the Great Admiral that gives a free Ironclad. Gilgamesh declared war on me a few turns later, and he had a coastal city not too far away. I promptly sailed over and captured his city in 2 turns with almost no damage to the Ironclad (note that this mod gives Melee Ships +12 combat versus coastal cities, so that was factor).

I spotted an English city on the coast not far away and hoped to repeat my success at easy capture. So I declared on her (she has declared on me earlier in the game so turnabout is fair). But this time she had a bunch of Archers and a ton of ships, which she sent my way. She was completely unsuccessful capturing any of my coastal cities, but she did prevent the Ironclad from capturing from her as well.

FWIW one problem the AI seems to still have is units will gather around a city but not actually take it even if they could if they devoted effort to it. That might be the fear of war monger code. With all the units they build now they definitely could pose a huge threat, if the units actually came for the city. Mostly though they just gather around, hit the city a few times, and then run off.

I'm not sure if I'm imagining things but previously, wasn't there a message of some kind saying "you can't construct <insert wonder here>" when another civilization beats you to it? I've had a few wonders cancel out on me (The Venetian Arsenal being the latest one) but I don't get a message about that and what's also weird, there is no alert popping up saying "someone has built The Venetian Arsenal."

EDIT. Personally I have not run into any improvements on the naval game so far on Emperor. None of the civs have built a naval presence of note on my Island Plates map and I was still easily able to take a city with like two Jongs and a Caravel. And of course, when I took the city, the enemy had a bunch of knights and AT-crew and they could've *easily* taken the city back. Like, no problem at all, the AT-crew would've likely just needed one or two attacks. But nope, they just stood around. Disappointing.

They don't spam religion as much as before for sure. I played 3 deity games and got a religion every time. The last time was with minimal effort t110+.

(the AI doesn't seem to know how to use Gurus yet for some reason).

Works for me, just witnessed the AI using their guru to heal their debater apostle to my dismay.

my religious victory try is becoming annoying. I'm not sure it's worth all the effort. I could just do it the easy way and conquer the holy cities, but what's the point of that. I may end up just doing a scientific victory instead. I'm not sure I have the patience for religious combat. Not to mention I will have to build a ton of units to get this done, if I can even do this.

edit: does religious pressure seem stronger in this game? cities I convert get converted back the next turn. How can I even convert 10 cities unless I do them all at once?

Last edited:
Let's not get into fuzzy logic with "preferences".

Ok, but why ignore the reality of 2 million players?

Players will have different preferences, but a UI that presents information the
player wants cleanly and allows gameplay with fewer inputs to accomplish the
same tasks is objectively better.

I agreed with that in my previous post.
However there is no such thing as "the player", so what you think is
"objective", isn't.

Both titles obscure/hide game rules, such that even if an experienced player
tries to discern them using only game UI...they can't.

I think that can be a good thing. There are hidden variables and obscure weights
that players get a feel for by playing the game over a long time, and not by
consulting a D&D-like table that tells them exactly how many D6's and D100's to
roll, and precisely what number they need to succeed or fail.

You might prefer strategy games with every rule and random variable defined
explicitly - I don't. I want to feel (or suspend disbelief that I'm deluding
myself) that I discovered something like an easter egg that nobody else has
noticed.

A UI that deliberately misleads is clearly and objectively deficient.

Adopting UI changes that decent UI devs used > a decade ago would turn several
minute tasks in game into 10 second or less tasks...many times throughout each
game.

That didn't parse. Did you mean "minute" as in tiny, or as in 60 seconds?

Nobody, including Ed Beach himself, could make a coherent case that the city
list + build options in civ 6 are as good from a UI perspective as civ 4.

You are comparing Civ 4, a completed toy world, with something far more complex
and not yet realised in full. (Note that I don't mean it's in alpha stage, just
far from having all features implemented.)

I accept, however, that there are dozens of other (reproducible) mistakes in the
game that should be fixed when they feel it's timely.

Hamstrung (to this point) modders had no trouble outperforming Firaxis either
in terms of UI...this patch note + relatively low priority for a broken UI over
a YEAR is Firaxis all but waving the white flag on UI and saying that the
community should fix it because they either can't or aren't willing to invest
the resources to do it.

Haha. All but conspiratorial crapola!
But if you're introducing psipowers & mind-reading, unfounded supposition, and
pretending to have inside insight into motives, let me to throw in some of my
own...

Firstly, the game maintains a huge following, with a big majority seemingly
unconcerned with UI problems that you and a minority see as egregiously awful.
Given that, why would Firaxis stray from what looks like a successful plan so far?
If Firaxis are designing and releasing to some 5-year plan (say), which
includes provision for incremental hardware improvements and income streams,
then they may well be right on target.

Civ 6 devs apparently realized it didn't work, but not enough to delay precious
DLC to make a default feature actually functional.

Maybe their devs and bean-counters got it right by devoting finite resources to
DLC instead of to low-priority items, like a UI that doesn't suit the tail end
of a distribution they know far better than outsiders like us.

I wish they hadn't spent so much on some aspects, like voice actors and artwork,
instead of on my preferences, but I would have bought the game if it had been
released a year earlier with XKCD quality graphics. See, I have standards too.

Even if Firaxis did expect the community to tailor the UI to those who don't
like it, what's the problem?

If your ideal UI, for your impossibly ideal player, had been adopted for Civ 6,
would you expect the community to fix it if it didn't suit some players?
Or would you hardwire it, and then tell any disgruntled, ungrateful sob's that
because your "ideal player" loves it, so must they?

The UI is a core part of a game..."

Are you a UI dev? (c.f. "To a cobbler there's nothing like leather." - Tolstoy.)

...and the user's experience, and the UI in this game is soundly dumpstered by
its own predecessors in the series and small dev teams from 20+ years ago.

That user, again. It's not designed for one player in a darkened Platonic cave.
At each stage it should be acceptable to a large majority of the entire player
base. And at the end, it should have been good enough for most players over the
lifetime of the game so that they'd crawl over broken glass for the next version.
Sound familiar? Yes, welcome to CFC.

I see no reason to respect that standard or the market which finds it acceptable.

Same here, Except that I don't "respect" any abstract concepts, like standards or
markets.

I accept that there are thousands of minor improvements that could be made, and
many bugs that should be fixed; many by Firaxis themselves, many that modders
will no doubt pounce on.
But you haven't made anywhere near a convincing case that the UI's deficiencies
and bugs have ruined the enjoyment of the game for a vast majority of the
players, or that the sales of the game are suffering because of the UI.

(The bit where you entered the minds of Firaxis devs and uncovered their hidden
motives was funny though.)

One nice thing about the new religions is for the first time I actually wiped out a rival religion (Brazil's) without too much trying. It overall seems much more manageable that before. I really like that religious units are their own layer.

Indonesia's ability for religious units to disembark without paying a cost is also surprisingly much better in practice than I expected. The bulk of winning religious combat is manueverability and she can just jump off the coast and zip past obstacles to attack or escape.

They changed first contact open border request to be 1 gold turn + border to the AI's border. (You can manually change it to 15 gold to save 15 gold, but it's really painful to enter that manually in the UI, so playing optimally is annoying)

Something strange in my game where I attacked an AI, it had a unfinished campus district in the city, but kept building units, so either the AI learned to put down district's early and build other stuff or they are less stupid at war and change production from buildings to units.

sigh, Kongo declares war on me right when I have a bunch of apostles in his vicinity. And of course he wipes them out. Him of all people should welcome my apostles. He even has a quote saying he welcomes the wisdom of my people, turns out that was a lie. I seriously don't have the patience for a religious victory in this game. The only way to do it in my opinion is at the end of a sword.

Let that be a lesson to you folks. There's a price to pay for having a different layer for your religious units. I probably could have saved some of them if they weren't under another civilization's military units right when they declared war.

They changed first contact open border request to be 1 gold turn + border to the AI's border. (You can manually change it to 15 gold to save 15 gold, but it's really painful to enter that manually in the UI, so playing optimally is annoying).

Weird. Every Open Borders request I have received so far has the AI giving *me* gold, not the other way around. Usually the deal has me giving open borders to their 15 gold, but then when I add in open borders on their end with that they still accept it.

sigh, Kongo declares war on me right when I have a bunch of apostles in his vicinity. And of course he wipes them out. Him of all people should welcome my apostles. He even has a quote saying he welcomes the wisdom of my people, turns out that was a lie. I seriously don't have the patience for a religious victory in this game. The only way to do it in my opinion is at the end of a sword.

Let that be a lesson to you folks. There's a price to pay for having a different layer for your religious units. I probably could have saved some of them if they weren't under another civilization's military units right when they declared war.

Have you tried using the newly re-added trade route religious pressure and 'trade route bombing' cities to flip them? Did that work at all?

Have you tried using the newly re-added trade route religious pressure and 'trade route bombing' cities to flip them? Did that work at all?
Difficult since they are in America (Aztecs) on the TSL Earth map. I can't get trade routes over there yet. But I did have success converting England over. Protestantism is gone. Yay. I think Brazil should be easy to convert as well. I'll save the hardest for last. I think I can get this without war, but if need be, I'll conquer their holy city to make things a little easier. It will just take more time than I was thinking. I got the cheaper religious units belief, so that helps.

Another possible undocumented change. Mass Media now requires Natural History. I know this wasn't a requirement before as I used to sometimes skip natural history until later as I didn't like have ancient ruins blocking my builder actions.

Top Bottom