1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Avalon Hill's Diplomacy

Discussion in 'Avalon Hill's Diplomacy' started by Pedro, Dec 22, 2001.

1. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

Amendments: Serbia is to become Italian and Greece Turkish.

2. Richard III

Richard III Duke of Gloucester

Well, how are the negotiations going? I want to retire in my villa in Tuscany, complete with my wife and mistress! Let's get on with it! Let's surrender! Don't make me attack - we must find a way to stop the killing!

3. TrailblazingScot

The French Nation has not received any sort of correspondance from Russia or Turkey...it looks as if they want to duke it out!

:mad:

Magnus...can you find out what Russia wants to do...they have 2 retreats and then 2 disbands on their hands.

Best if they surrender.

4. Magnus

Magnus Diplocat

The Swiss report that Zar Oliver of Russia is preparing to sign the agreement as presented by France.:king:

Turkey, however seems poised to fight forever! (and with no home supply centres either!):eek:

(hint hint, Turkey will 'gain' the most by signing this treaty!)

5. shadowdale

shadowdale CFC Drunkard

Hmmm I think I should be more interested in what happens at CFC!!! I play Doplimacy alot too - internet and normal, so I'm definetly in for the next game when ever it starts!

:sniper:

6. Toasty

Toasty Old Guard

Hehe, sorry. Yes, I'll agree to it.

Wow, I can't believe I survived that! :eek:

7. Magnus

Magnus Diplocat

Well, Toasty, you arrived into a bad situation and made the best of it. I guess the only thing left is waiting for the Russia's official capitulation, but perhaps its only a formality. Looks like this one is in the books! Great gameplaying by all! :goodjob:

Any END OF GAME comments? I will have some shortly - I am sure you are all wondering just what DID happen in Trieste in the Fall of 1901...:satan:

And welcome Shadowdale - I know FlatlanderFox is thinking of starting a Modern variant soon, and I am sure it will not be too long before another standard game appears on the horizon, if you'd like you can leave your e-mail address on the 'players listing' thread and we shall keep you updated.:)

8. Flatlander Fox

Flatlander Fox Armed Cultural Consultant

Congratulations are in order, as Kitten of Chaos is the victor of the first CFC Diplomacy game.

A few notes from the old GM, and probably a few note from the new too.

First, I would like to thank EVERYONE for playing. And second, I would like to thank Magnus for stepping in for me after my short vacation.

On to the Awards :D:

Best Diplomat: Kitten of Chaos. He not only saved his ass with a 11th hour treaty with the Italians, but managed to actually CONVINCE the English to help him after he had stabbed them. Bravo!

Best Tactician: I would say that everybody did very well in this game. With a few exceptions of course.:) But the award will go to KoC once again, especially for his North Sea manuevering.

Funniest Note: The "Italian Fleets trying to create a Tidal wave" note. I think Ricardo wrote it (not sure), but it was quite hilarious.

Most uncommunicative: Beerman. He pretty much went it alone, but did well until the wrong people noticed.:)

Poorest decision: Russia attacks Turkey for no real reason. Runner-up: Trieste is given up so Italians can fight off French. Then Italians decide that they want the whole country.:D

Go ahead and post any other thoughts you have on the game, but those are mine. It was a great game, and I hope that the next one is just as good.

9. TrailblazingScot

It was Ricardo that commented on the Italian fleet and tidal wave construction...I was able to read it as the Italians passed a few German messages onto France :)

HOW HOW HOW did Italy persuade Austria to be destroyed...I want to see the diplomacy he used. My invasion of Piedmont was the most insignificant military action of the game yet got such a massive response!

10. Magnus

Magnus Diplocat

It was my (Austria's) idea.

I wanted France dead, but went about it the wrong way - I thought that if I gave Italy an SC (Trieste) that he did not have to defend, he could send an extra unit westward against France. I took Greece (which was supposed to be Italian) in a temporary offset exchange, because I was looking East anyway. The plan failed when Italy and Austria publicly announced an alliance - this brought too much attentuion to us, and in my self-inflicted handicapped state, Germany and Russia and Turkey were eaily able to destroy me, whereas Italy, after finding common ground with France (vs Germany), was able to incidentally prosper from the situation.

What I SHOULD have done (and this is something Richard hinted at at the time but I could not pull the trigger on - it was only my second ever diplomacy game and I hadn't yet sunk to certain levels of depravity ;)). was for me to take ADVANTAGE of the fact that I looked weak and Italy looked like a stabber (for all other nations perceived it as such) and basically 'ally' with France against Italy but to telegraph all of France's moves to Italy, in effect using the Austria sympathy card to gain help from others and then stab them when they had over committed to the war. "Woulda Coulda Shoulda", but it was fun trying something different, I just made a poor choice at the critical moment and I paid for it. I coudn't pull the damn trigger, so I ended up eating the bullet, so to speak. But I learned a lot, and perhaps that made it even more worthwhile.

11. Richard III

Okay Magnus, here it is.

The thing I never told you was (with details for the uninitiated):

1. Magnus and I spend about 6,000 pages of notes to come to a deal in Spring 1901: I would turn west, he would turn east, and we would have an "anschluss" style policy about our border. In compensation - my condition for the deal; I would get Greece in 1901 instead of Tunis, allowing me to have 5 centres by the time my fleets reached the usually hard-to-invade French shores.

2. Kitten attacks in Spring 1901 - pre-emptive aggression! How dare he attack me before I'm ready to attack him!

3. Things get ugly in the Balkans, so Magnus breaks the complete trust he'd won by starting to welsh, whining about how he wanted to "borrow Greece for awhile."

4. :satan: I then planned orders to move the fleet to Tunis and my A Venice-Trieste, stabbing Magnus

5. Unbelievably, Magnus writes at the 11th hour, saying "I can save the deal - borrow Trieste from me, take Tunis, and I'll borrow Greece. There, you get your five." I can't beleive my luck, saving both an ally and getting the results of the stab at the same time.

6. I don't even need to change my orders! I walk into Trieste, carrying out the "stab" with the defendant's blessing, and then Magnus and I both sit back and share the laughter as we get messages from confused opponents! Hilarious! I :lol: 'ed!!!

7. Kitten wants to cut a deal, and Ricardo is being remarkably cagey and indecisive. I have seen too many invasions of France fail before (in fact, I have yet to see one succeed in living memory), all because one power decides not to pull his weight. So, I think, now that I have Trieste, Austria will be a growth area, and I even have the moral high ground in taking Greece. So, I turned my fleets around.

See, it wasn't all as irrational as it seemed. Or as gentlemanly :wink:.

There.

I said it.

R.III

12. Magnus

Magnus Diplocat

ahhh. RicahrdIII, my spidey sense must have been going off for me to suggest you do what you were going to do anyway (Trieste)! Man, you can't make this stuff up! :lol:

I applaud KittenOfChaos' victory, one made sweeter by an amazing effort when he seemed 'up against it' (a 4 country alliance? :eek: ) early on. The only thing I am wondering (this is to RichardIII) is why you never allied with Russia when France was getting too big? It seems like all along you were playing for second place!

13. Richard III

Why didn't I turn on France with Russia's aid?

Because I'd lost heart from chasing after delinquint late filers in Civdip 002.

Because I was advancing swiftly enough that I thought I could take enough SCs to mount a defence in the west and negotiate a two-way win.

Because Russia was a competitor for the only supply centres I was likely to be able to take without having to create another tidal wave.

Because I'd seen what trying to work with Oliver had done to Ricardo.

I should add - for FFox's sake - that the initial negotiations with France were my idea, not Kitten's.

14. TrailblazingScot

4 way alliance against me?

Nah!

Austria didn't matter...

Germany was in fact my ally.

England was willing to work with me against Germany.

I merely portrayed Germany and England as aggressors and then made my move. People trust least the nation that isn't a war...I had wars aplenty and so people were willing to see me as in need of help.

15. Deaf_Eye_Ant

Deaf_Eye_Ant Chieftain

Hey Guys... I just found out about this site.
    I been playing Diplomacy for 10 years - and used to play at the ZONE when it have a Diplomacy connection.

I Am often online... prefer Yahoo, but also MSN.
    Just look for Deaf_Eye_Ant ;-)
    Doug

16. Pedro

Pedro I'll improvise...

hehe, longest thread I ever started... two years ago.

cool.

17. Magnus

Magnus Diplocat

Hey, it even spawned into an entire sub-forum. Although by the looks of recent developments, it is in serious need of some TLC...

18. TrailblazingScot

It is time for the veterans to revive it as the newbies managed to collapse their game ;)

19. naervod

naervod My current user title

I would be willing to mod a game if people would play.

20. TrailblazingScot

Neat.