Avoid these: A collection of your most common mistakes

Invisible Rhino said:
I keep thinking I can trust the other civs :)

I MUST remember...no matter how polite or gracious, the other leaders are not my friends, not my friends, not my friends, not.........

This is the one I hate, forget to turn reseach back up to max after I discovered a tech. This happens when I play too long and get sleepy.

island007 said:
This is the one I hate, forget to turn reseach back up to max after I discovered a tech. This happens when I play too long and get sleepy.

Used to happen to me too :p

henry k c said:
Build workers, i'm always short. I have about about only 1 worker per city.

I always do that until I discover coal, and I can make railroads. :)

I'm still a 'converted' Master of Magic player ( a civ-like game in a fantasy world). Even though I've gotten pretty good at Civ, I still find I'm doing what worked in MoM, which was almost the opposite -- in MoM, you won by building all of your improvements (along with expanding). So, I got the expanding down.

But I still way overbuild city improvements. I can't help myself. I'm winning a conquest victory and I'm still building libraries.

I also currently win by being totally dominant -- in my games, I get ahead on everything. I know to win at the next levels I have to pick ONE victory path early and just stick to it.

Breunor

There's this icon on my desktop that says 'Play Conquests!' Clicking on that is usually a mistake for me....

;)

My biggest mistake was to let the governors handle production. They aren't too bad in the begining, but later on they build way too many defensive units and not enough economic buildings. That tended to really cripple my economy.

taking a loaded galley into treacherous waters

one of these days it won't sink (yeah right...) :rolleyes:

Switching to Republic too soon without sufficient commerce, luxuries, or too many military units, giving me a nice negative income :rolleyes:

I never make enough workers early in the game.

I don't aggressively try to meet the other civs in the early game. I like for them to come and meet me which causes me to miss a lot of trading. I am usually trying too hard to figure out how to conquer my nearest neighbor.

Hey great stuff here.
One Question: I know "AW" stands for Always War (at least I think it does), but what does that mean? Is that a scenario, or something specific to PTW or C3C (I play vanilla). Thanks.

AW is a variant where the player is at war with everyone at all times (from the moment you meet them). It's not enforced by the game, it's something the player submits himself to for the challenge (Sid's not enough for some maniacs :lol: ).

Two mistakes that really annoy me. The first one is forgetting to start research on the turn I settle. I'm not sure if that sets you back a turn or not, but it seems like it should. The second thing is that I always forget I can built scouts when I'm playing Expansionist. I ALWAYS remember after my first city finishes building that warrior it started working on the minute I settled.

My biggest mistake is that I forget about my military after I disband half of it during the revolf to Republic. :D Then somebody attacks.....

Tomoyo said:
My most common mistake is getting so caught up in keeping up in tech that I create a runwaway AI that eventually comes around to beat me.

I second this one. Better to be stingy in key techs until it's obvious most everyone else has it.

E.g. Pottery, Iron-Working, Literature....

- Mistake 1: Not giving a civ a tribut of 17 gold and a map because of "pride". The war after that is more devastating than a little pride...give 'em their 17 gold. You have your peace and you can go to war (or not) when YOU want.

- Mistake 2: Victory until death. A long-long-long war before the modern age...you have to decrease science due to need of money and you can't win a war in Republic/Democracy when it goes for 100+ turns. After such "victories", my country is huge, but poor, behind in tech and target number one for smaller, but more advanced countries that easily capture what I just captured with in a difficult fight...

Top Bottom