Axes Still Rule

Careful, lilnev... he's gunning for your job.

play online

I second that!

But I bet Bastillebaston would find multiplayer likewise "boring", because human opponents make the game too difficult, there would be too much micromanaging for his taste and the other players are just spamming too many units and out-tech him.

why not just make a mod called axerush, and put only axemen and copper, and grass hills with iron in the map, with nothing else

why not just make a mod called axerush, and put only axemen and copper, and grass hills with iron in the map, with nothing else
HA - someone would seriously do this! Sounds very therapeutic, just slaughtering endless enemies with a permanent axerush!

all u seem to care about is winning the game, i dont actually see civ as a game taht u have to win, i dont play it to win, i play it to build a civilization starting from ancient times to modern times, all u think about is winning, civ isnt about winning its about building a civilization to stand the test of time!!!!
Sure wars will be declared but its not about getting a bunch of axeman and pwning everything, no wonder u dont have fun, u actually quit if u dont have bronze or iron near you, u just get axeman and run around killing everything, u dont even acknowledge the 100 other aspects of the game. You dont get what civ is about, go play something else because if all u want to do is win in that manner then civ isnt your game.

Sounds to me like the threadcreator here would much more enjoy playing Counter-Strike, you should try it. Why are we even discussing in this thread?

If you gear the game towards instantly conquering everything with axes and focus solely on that... then you really are limiting your enjoyment experience and it's hardly surprising that you are winning. If that's where you get your kicks then fine... but funny how it can both be too easy and that you quit if it isnt like you want. Seems like you set yourself up to win and then complain that there's no more to it. Personally, I play to build big empires and only cross swords if forced to it or need to expand there. Not saying thats the right way, but it gives me endless hours of amusement and I get to see all the new strategies too.

Personally, I vote for you to go and play against humans and see how far your solitary tactic gets you.... I expect you'd probably quit once you lost all your axes though! ;)

all u seem to care about is winning the game, i dont actually see civ as a game taht u have to win, i dont play it to win, i play it to build a civilization starting from ancient times to modern times, all u think about is winning, civ isnt about winning its about building a civilization to stand the test of time!!!!
Sure wars will be declared but its not about getting a bunch of axeman and pwning everything, no wonder u dont have fun, u actually quit if u dont have bronze or iron near you, u just get axeman and run around killing everything, u dont even acknowledge the 100 other aspects of the game. You dont get what civ is about, go play something else because if all u want to do is win in that manner then civ isnt your game.

Couldn't have said it any better myself

roflcopter!!!! ahahahaha

but seriously bastillebaston, challenge yourself
if you think smth's not right, think of ways to make it right
idk, put restrictions on things you allow yourself to do
try not to be so narrow-minded

I used to be bent on axe-rushing, but then my game expanded tremendously - axe rushing followed by cat rushing.

It's amusing to consider why someone whose favored tactic to the exclusion of all others would purchase an expansion whose main two themes are a) non-military gameplay and b) post-Medieval/Renaissance era gameplay.

I have to agree with the OP, I've been playing with Boudica on settler level (chieftain is far too much micromanagement) with one other civ on a tiny pangaea with no barbarians, and so far I've won four hundred and thirty-seven games in a row, all before the end of the classical age. Axerushing has won me the game every time (though I confess I sometimes have to open worldbuilder and put a couple of copper and gold resources in my capital radius). It really is starting to become almost tedious. I'm very disappointed in this expansion, it clearly was not designed with flexible strategic geniuses like myself in mind.

Originally Posted by bastillebaston
Just tried BtS, monarch difficulty, fractal map, standard settings. Played a dozen games, with randomly chosen leaders. In terms of strategy, I see no substantial differences. Even with nerfed siege and "better AI", early expansion is still relatively easy. Once again, the axe rush quickly does the job, and guarantees victory. No need to bother with espionage. No need to found/spread either religions or corporations. I ignored all the new wonders (I hardly ever build any wonder, for that matter). Apostolic palace and random events turned out to be non-factors. As to the late game units, I’ve never got that far… by the time infantry comes around I’ve already won my games. I guess all the new features become relevant only if you don’t want to axe rush your neighbours (but why you wouldn’t?) or if you have no bronze/iron (too frustrating, I would just recommend quitting in such an unlikely case) or if you play scenarios/advanced starts. This is too bad… I already feel rather bored and disappointed with BtS.

I cannot see how you played a dozen games in just a few days. It took me 10hours to finish my first BTS game and that was on Prince level.
Do you finish your games or quit happy after you've taken a few cities with axe rush?

You say you don't like to micromanage???? You win confortably on Monarch without micromanaging your cities?

I guess all these were domination wins ...a dozen in a couple of days!! Yet you are bored of this game!

I have to agree with the OP, I've been playing with Boudica on settler level (chieftain is far too much micromanagement) with one other civ on a tiny pangaea with no barbarians, and so far I've won four hundred and thirty-seven games in a row, all before the end of the classical age. Axerushing has won me the game every time (though I confess I sometimes have to open worldbuilder and put a couple of copper and gold resources in my capital radius). It really is starting to become almost tedious. I'm very disappointed in this expansion, it clearly was not designed with flexible strategic geniuses like myself in mind.

:sarcasm:

LOLLERCOPTERS! Greatest post ever.:goodjob:

kekekekeke axe rush gg

The answer to this topic is so obvious - play with humans, not with AI! If you want a real challenge, a wise opponent that is unpredictable - you have to play online with othe human players!
The only problem is that people like you will rather quit than play when something goes wrong. So the answer to this problem is to join some internet club of multi players.

There are a large number of walkthroughs presented by very patient and highly skilled players demonstrating a variety of play styles.

There are basically two play styles: Warmonger and Builder. Most of the victory conditions favors the warmonger style. No surprises here, this is a war game after all. Question: what is by far the best warmongering strategy? Answer: The axe rush. Therefore, most of the victory conditions favors the axe rush.

1. Conquest & Domination: If you are aiming at either of those you’d be a fool not to axe rush whatever is within range (and yes, I’ve seen Sulla’s walkthrough for a domination victory achieved purely through culture… yawn)
  2. Space race: you need to grab land, or you’ll be soon out of the race. Best bet: play warmonger first, build later. If you don’t axe-rush, your space victory will be delayed.
  3. Diplomatic: this is either a version of conquest or a dull calculation of diplo modifiers.
  4. Cultural victory: yawn. Micromanaging missionaries? No, thanks.
  5. Time victory: no comment.

I can 't resist the temptation to put my oar in. I am not like you demigods who play on Monarch or Immortal. I like to play on Noble and try various settings and go for various wins. I often abandon a game after having had a thoroughly good time. Now go ahead and despise me; I couldn't care less.

Top Bottom