[NFP] Babylon Pack (November 2020) - Patch Notes Discussion

anyone else having problems with 'Hammurabi’s “Ninu Ilu Sirum” ability constructs the lowest Production cost building.' the envoy function is working but no first building. could it be a problem with mods?

anyone else having problems with 'Hammurabi’s “Ninu Ilu Sirum” ability constructs the lowest Production cost building.' the envoy function is working but no first building. could it be a problem with mods?
Working fine so it must be a Mod.

Regarding Ayutthaya:
The culture bonus applies every time there is a new building in town, regardless of the method. This means you get some for replacing buildings with SS versions, as well as some from Hammurabi's LUA. I presume the GE that gives walls will also give it.

I've noticed making friendships (consistently) has been far more difficult. Was this changed in this patch? I haven't read all the patch notes, haven't had much time lately. At this rate, I'll be lucky to even form one alliance. AI seems much more reluctant to be friends. Consequently, I'm getting more DOW's even as I try to play a peaceful Babylon game.

I'm still early in my first game, and I read some of you are on your third game. I've been working though, and haven't had much time to play. Almost my weekend though. And I almost exclusively play epic speed as well.

Also playing with heroes which makes more of a struggle to juggle all the production tasks for Babylon. I almost paid the price dearly for neglecting my military and the resultant DOW's I mentioned above. The AI isn't too happy with me for whatever reason.

In your Hall of Fame it is now possible to delete a game out of your list if you choose. I really don't remember this being a feature. Was this added in this patch? Maybe I missed it in a previous patch though.

I've personally been hoping for something like this because I once I had a game that I lost the turn before I would have won. I replayed that final turn so many times, my HoF was absolutely full of the repeated Loss.

It's been there a while, I delete the games I win with modded civs.

It's been there a while, I delete the games I win with modded civs.

I delete the losses. :mischief: Actually I do keep late game losses as kind of a reminder to myself. But if it's a loss in the first 50 turns, it's getting deleted. I also recently had one loss when I was using fast game settings for achievement hunting, it was unexpected, so I deleted that one.

Heroes and Legends is a great additive mode. Brazil got Arthur and went on a questing conquest early, so there was a scarier 30 turns since he was my immediate neighbor.

Babylon is absolutely one of my new favorite civs and is really going to make me memorize the Eurekas because I planned way more than usual to take advantage of their playstyle. Eurekas were one of the most interesting changes when Civ VI was announced so having a faction that really plays with the concept and doesn’t progress in the usual way is fantastic.

I am enjoying both Heroes and Babylon.

I'm sure Babylon is overpowered in the hands of players who have completely mastered the game's system, but I think for most of us they are an incredibly enjoyable change of pace. I've really enjoyed a game where I could basically ignore building tons of campuses and it's also freed me up to make some new decisions as I've been able to ignore the Natural Philosophy and Rationalism cards that I almost always slot otherwise. They've got a lot of interesting paths they can go down - I was able to found a religion on deity without much trouble and have also been able to focus on early culture and tourism without falling hopelessly behind. I think it's fun figuring out which techs to actually research as I try to figure out which Eurekas I'm not likely to pop. I'm interested in seeing how I do keeping up in science as the game progresses and Eurekas get more difficult. To me the game is at it's best when you are in a situation where you have decisions to make about what to build next... Babylon has been awesome at giving me a ton of decisions to make.

Heroes are also a ton of fun. I managed to get Anansi early, and he is awesome for someone like me with no real interest in going to war. I found it fun to plot out my cities and figure out which resources I wanted to use Anansi's tricks on while still giving me chances to get Eurekas I need (ie, "I should leave this stone so I can build a quarry to get the masonry tech). Costs to bring them back seem balanced to me... it will probably be a couple more eras before I put the faith aside to bring him back. Discovering and recruiting heroes feels pretty good to me and incentivizes building monuments which I usually don't prioritize early on. Now I've got my eye on potentially recruiting Sinbad or Maui next, both of who I have found. Again, I'm sure there are exploits that people can take advantage of but these can be ignored by anyone who doesn't want to abuse them. I honestly think I'll play with this mode on from now on.

Great pack!

I definitely play way more differently when I'm playing as Babylon. I've come to realize that there were so many techs that I don't bother to get the eureka and brute forced, which I can't ignore as Babylon. Trying to hard research any tech as Babylon is quite infuriating! Highly recommend not doing that! I do really enjoy not being chained to building Campuses everywhere though.

Let's see...

I normally ignore Aqueducts, but being able to find Niter early is too important to pass up on. Need to make sure the Aqueducts are in a good place for Industrial Zones as well.

I never ever ever build Forts, but Field Cannons and Cuirassiers come from Ballistics, which wants 2 Forts. Forts come from Siege Tactics, which wants 2 Bombards, which I'm likely to build anyway but getting Niter very early on can be difficult...

I usually don't build T3 IZ buildings, but now I need not only 2 Coal Plants for Refining to reveal Oil, but also 2 Oil Plants for Advanced Ballistics.

I still find that I want at least 2 Campuses, not just for the Recorded History inspiration, but to also help with getting a Great Scientist to unlock Education.

I should definitely be building Theatre Squares earlier, not just for the culture, but to also get a Archaeological Museum to unearth an artifact for Combustion.

I still haven't figured out how I'm going to get a National Park before or upon reaching Radio...

I think I might have to settle for hard researching Chemistry, since it requires completing a Research Agreement...

This list is not exhaustive of the new things I've had to keep track of. There's quite a lot!

I still haven't figured out how I'm going to get a National Park before or upon reaching Radio..

If you don't mind playing with Secret Societies, try Gilded Vault. Every time I choose Owls with a non-cultural civ, my culture output can bust through Civc Tree because of good CH placement.

IMHO the National Park Eureka is designed for cultural civs to catch up in techs, so for a non-cultural civ such as Babylon this Eureka is not easy to get.

If you don't mind playing with Secret Societies, try Gilded Vault. Every time I choose Owls with a non-cultural civ, my culture output can bust through Civc Tree because of good CH placement.

IMHO the National Park Eureka is designed for cultural civs to catch up in techs, so for a non-cultural civ such as Babylon this Eureka is not easy to get.
Aye, thanks for the tip :) I normally play with Secret Societies on, but I'm mostly trying Babylon for now w/ no modes, to try and get a feel for the civ itself. Will definitely keep this in mind once I start playing with SS again!

If you can get a religion with Babylon, you can get the believe that gives science per 4 population. This science is not halved and in my last game, there was a time that it was nearly half of everything I was researching. It made easier to research the techs I couldn't get Eurekas. Babylon is not bad for culture victory, specially with Secret Societies mode. Just focus building Holy Sites and Theaters and take Voidsingers. The science you will get from faith and the Eurekas means you only will need build campus for eureka/inspiration sake. The tech shuffle mode make it easy to grab a religion if you find a natural wonder. The shuffle mode only messes with the civic tree.

If you can get a religion with Babylon, you can get the believe that gives science per 4 population. This science is not halved and in my last game, there was a time that it was nearly half of everything I was researching. It made easier to research the techs I couldn't get Eurekas.

The -50% penalty is City-based, while the benefits of Founder Beliefs are tied directly into your overall output (in the upper-left corner), therefore avoid the penalty.

I definitely play way more differently when I'm playing as Babylon. I've come to realize that there were so many techs that I don't bother to get the eureka and brute forced, which I can't ignore as Babylon. Trying to hard research any tech as Babylon is quite infuriating! Highly recommend not doing that! I do really enjoy not being chained to building Campuses everywhere though.

Let's see...

I normally ignore Aqueducts, but being able to find Niter early is too important to pass up on. Need to make sure the Aqueducts are in a good place for Industrial Zones as well.

I never ever ever build Forts, but Field Cannons and Cuirassiers come from Ballistics, which wants 2 Forts. Forts come from Siege Tactics, which wants 2 Bombards, which I'm likely to build anyway but getting Niter very early on can be difficult...

I usually don't build T3 IZ buildings, but now I need not only 2 Coal Plants for Refining to reveal Oil, but also 2 Oil Plants for Advanced Ballistics.

I still find that I want at least 2 Campuses, not just for the Recorded History inspiration, but to also help with getting a Great Scientist to unlock Education.

I should definitely be building Theatre Squares earlier, not just for the culture, but to also get a Archaeological Museum to unearth an artifact for Combustion.

I still haven't figured out how I'm going to get a National Park before or upon reaching Radio...

I think I might have to settle for hard researching Chemistry, since it requires completing a Research Agreement...

This list is not exhaustive of the new things I've had to keep track of. There's quite a lot!

Yeah, I definitely enjoy the way Babylon has made me shake up the way I play and do things I rarely otherwise do, since I usually play very peacefully (build bombards, forts, armories, etc...)

I finished my first Babylon game. I won by diplomatic victory since I had coincidentally been winning votes all game, but I was very close to a cultural victory as well. I have to say, I actually agree with the people saying Babylon may not actually be a science victory civ. I had unlocked a lot of the tech tree, but I was near the end. There are so many techs whose eureka is just "get it with a spy" but other civs didn't have those techs so I couldnt' steal the eureka... but I had build so many wonders on the tech tree ahead of time that I had a ton of tourism. I was only on emperor, but I was about 10 turns away from cultural victory and I had only build one theater square in my whole empire. Due to tech skipping, I had build the eiffel tower and golden gate bridge and had some extremely lucrative national parks (in terms of tourism) which really put me over the edge.

Top Bottom