Balancing: Monument to the Gods (Pantheon)

OursIstheFury

Chieftain
Just thought I'd share a couple of thoughts on toning this Pantheon belief down. First, Monument to the Gods:

Monument to the Gods: +25% [hammer] Production of Ancient/Classical Wonders"

I've always picked this pantheon belief since I started playing this game. As long as an enemy doesn't swarm me before I build up an army, I can usually get this belief (AI never seems to pick it) and be in the lead by 100s of points before the medieval era. While I'd like to think it's because I'm such an awesome strategist, realistically it's probably because of this belief. While the logical solution would be not to pick it, the temptation is too great.

But here are some more logical reasons why it should be re-balanced:

• It's a greater increase than Ramses II's unique ability ("+20% Production towards Wonder construction")
  • Building most, if not all, wonders (without much competition) affords you outputs that are exponentially better than any single belief, perhaps even all combined.
  • You can easily beeline early wonders for free technologies, social policies, and great people to keep your civ balanced out while you hop from one wonder project to the next.
  • I've never played as Ramses because I don't see the need. +55% would be overkill (assuming they combine additively?). My workers probably wouldn't even need to chop trees... or have trees, if I'm in a desert.

Now that I've laid out my thoughts I think another solution is possible. Instead of toning down the percent I could take a look at how production from chopping trees interacts with its % increase. Perhaps it can be tweaked to be applied to the city production total before adding the bonus from chopping trees? I assume the +.25 is applied to the final production total as a weight. Just need to change where it is in the equation. I can poke around and see if I can find a fix from that perspective.

Also note that I use the treeregrowth mod, even though the trees hardly ever spawn in/near my cities. But it could still make some difference (trying to be objective). It also still has that annoying bug where it notifies you for every newly grown forest tile on land you've explored at least once and not just owned territory. >_>

Top Bottom