Barbarian trait, attacking them

jlehtira

Chieftain
Greetings!

I joined a multiplayer game as the infernals, and now it's time to burn. But I need some cities and I thought I'd take them from the barbarians. But, I couldn't figure out a way to attack them. :rolleyes: Is there a way? Or is the Barbarian (Trait) supposed to be slowing you down sometimes?

You should be presented with the option to declare war on the barbarians when trying to move a military unit into a space occupied by one of them.

Other than declaring this (permanent) war, your only option is to culturally overpower their cities, or to use the Clan of Embers hero Rantine to intimidate them into joining.

You should be presented with the option to declare war on the barbarians when trying to move a military unit into a space occupied by one of them.

I wasn't. I moved into one of their cities though, maybe I should try to attack a lone barbarian.. Will try that next.

You must do it in neutral territory not in their cultural borders (or in anyone's else cultural borders).

That seems like a flawed system. What if there is no neutral territory? Maybe thats hardcoded. Too bad there isnt a barbarian player listed that you can alt click to go to war :p

I would really love it if (instead of simply being at peace with the barbarians until you get too strong) the barbarian trait instead gave you the ability to conduct diplomacy with the barbarian state the same as you would any other player. Then you could make a peace treaty after the war begins, but they could also drag you into their wars (or you would at least get some diplo penalties for refusing to help, which would lead to them declaring war on you). Also, you could trade resources with them, agree to right of passage agreements, and even gift cities to them or ask that they liberate some of yours. With multiple barbarian trait players, you could ask that they turn against your barb trait enemies. It would also be nice if you could ask them to focus their attacks on specific cities, the way you can your vassals a,d permanent allies.

Of course, this is probably impossible to code.

If it can be done, could we see these changes in Shadow, please? that and a repeatable AV ritual that makes peace with the barbs (requiring a minimum AC) and breaking all of the barbs old peace treaties (except perhaps with barb trait leaders, so Hyborem wouldn't lose his alliance with the other demons), so that the AV civs must constantly fight to keep stay in the good graces of Agares and the Armageddon heroes, sacrificing each other to do so.

If barbs are made a "real" civ but with "refuses to talk" towards others than those having the barbarian trait, it might be possible

a 'real' civ that spawn units on random numbers, decreasing with each case not seen by any other civ ? come on !!
just kidding.

I would like it though..
would make the barbarian trait more potent for late game.

I really think the Barbarian trait is broken for the AI civs that have it and it should be eliminated.

I have not played a game in recent memory where Jonas, Sheelba, or Charadon has not (for some unknown reason) declared war on the barbs.

This wipes out the Barbarian trait advantage while maintaining the -10% Research disadvantage.

It helps the human player at first as it gives the barbs another civ to attack, but they are usually gone in short order giving the barbs more territory.

I am talking about raging barb games mostly.

I think the trait is meant to make "barbaric" civs less advanced and rely on different strategies to win instead of tech rush. Of course the AI is really Artificial Idiotism so it can't handle anything well enough

Top Bottom