Barbs spawning question

guermantes

Emperor wannabe
Hi all,
Do barbs spawn in tiles that only I can't see or in tiles that neither I nor the AI civs can see? Or both?

Hi all,
Do barbs spawn in tiles that only I can't see or in tiles that neither I nor the AI civs can see? Or both?

Both.
That's why on small maps the barbs are not a problem - the map is quickly oversaturated with cities, wandering scouts and other units.

This is why on higher levels early on players leave their units in the fog rather than in cities. ;)

You really get an obsession over huge maps. You see, I think only people with strong computers will be able to play huge maps regularly.

In a particular fashion, most S&Tip people play standard and lower sized maps.
I have noticed humongous maps are often the affairs of casual players seen in mod section. I once in a while roam in PAE (Pie's Ancient Europe mod) and they seem so keen about getting like over 52 players in extremely huge maps...and this trend is seen in most mods. Ah, quantity doesn't necessarily mean better...

You really get an obsession over huge maps. You see, I think only people with strong computers will be able to play huge maps regularly.

In a particular fashion, most S&Tip people play standard and lower sized maps.
I have noticed humongous maps are often the affairs of casual players seen in mod section. I once in a while roam in PAE (Pie's Ancient Europe mod) and they seem so keen about getting like over 52 players in extremely huge maps...and this trend is seen in most mods. Ah, quantity doesn't necessarily mean better...

Well yeah, I do. I think they're lots of fun.

I'm of the opinion that quantity takes on a quality of its own. I'm a high diamond zerg in Starcraft II. My idea of a fair fight is slamming my opponents with unlimited waves of units. How many zerglings and Ultras does it take for a Protoss to break down? How many Horse Archers or praets does it take to kill Charlie?

MORE is BETTER.

Doesn't work on Huge Maps. Don't try it there.

it does though. if you can find choke points, then you can leave a strong couple of units in the choke and then spawn bust the interior area. i was able to use it successfully in that charlemagne game you posted.

It's no better than keeping units in your cities.

The problem with keeping units outside of your city on Huge maps is:

1. It might attract barbs because they go after your less-well defended cities.
2. It might catch barbs on their way to other civs (because your units are covering more area).
3. It doesn't actually prevent barbs from spawning since they'll just spawn farther away.
4. Unit maintenance costs becomes WORSE, thereby killing your research.

In that Gilgamesh game for example spawn-busting is absolutely the wrong strategy. Much better to keep your units in your cities or on improvements to pick off barbs as they come. I.e. to turtle.

To settle this question, we need:

1. Find the appropriate code. And/or (if that's impossible)
2. Test it with WB.

Top Bottom