Bartleby's HoF Thread

How do you know about relative civ total cultures? I thought only the leading culture was shown to players. Just a guess or do I not know how to find this?

I'm estimating it from the culture histograph on the victory screen. CRpMapstat also does the same thing, but I prefer to look at it in the game.

Ahh, I am not as good of an estimator but I would think that if its a pretty big difference it might be obvious. War then? Are you and Babylon big enough to take some cities off of Russia and slow their culture increase rate vs. Babylon? Seems to be the only option. If you are playing for a Spaceship victory seems like you might have 60 turns left.

I just looked at the culture in mapstat, and it actually might not be as bad as I thought, Babylon has 62k to Russia's 99k, both gaining ~600 per turn. Those values can fluctuate a lot though.

I just looked at the culture in mapstat, and it actually might not be as bad as I thought, Babylon has 62k to Russia's 99k, both gaining ~600 per turn. Those values can fluctuate a lot though.
Assuming Babylon does not lose cities (or that Russia doesn't dramatically increase the number of cities it has), you should be OK. AI culture doesn't change radically from turn to turn. At this point, Russia would have to out-culture them 6 to 1 on a per-turn to reach 130k before Babylon reaches 65k. Even if it's 200k and 100k, Russia would have to have a ratio of just under 3:1.

This is why 100k games at higher levels are conquest games! ⚔️

I think I should be OK too. I'll keep an eye on it though because mapstat gets the values by counting the histograph pixels and it can vary wildly over a few turns.

I would like to try a more military-style Sid game, but I don't want it to be this one!

I think I should be OK too. I'll keep an eye on it though because mapstat gets the values by counting the histograph pixels and it can vary wildly over a few turns.

I would like to try a more military-style Sid game, but I don't want it to be this one!
I admire you trying a non-conquest Sid game! Spaceship has to be much harder than Diplo at Sid because you still have to out-produce the Sid AI to the parts. They have such a huge build discount and usually are a tech or two ahead. The AI not being smart enough to pre-build for parts obviously is the decisive human advantage, but still not easy.

In 1750 AD we've just crawled into the Modern Age a couple of turns ago. Nobody got Rocketry.

I was a bit optimistic a for few turns after 1600 AD when the Babs were researching at about 6 turn pace, but then the alliances started to form and soon everyone went Fascist. The tech pace fell off, and Hammurabi decided to research Amphibious Warfare instead of Motorized Transportation which put a delay on getting to the big picture. I had hoped my Hoover Dam build could become the UN, but with two turns left, that was when the Babs came up with Amphibious Warfare. So I got Hoover at least (but I only have four factories). My next available prebuild was a Palace, only worth 11 turns but that ended up as the Pentagon with the loss of 160 shields (I assume now that Russia will build the UN in Moscow - I don't know if they'll hold a vote, though). A couple of turns after that Hammy finally figured out Motorized Trans.

The alliances have all petered out, and only Russia and Babylon are at war now. I dunno if they were to make peace, would the tech pace ever pick up again? And I'm wondering whether to try to start to research myself? And if Russia and Babylon do make peace, how long before one of them decides to attack me again? That would be much more painful now that they'll be using Marines and Bombers.

I do have Uranium at least.

Have you thought about irrigating where you mine to slow the pace? If you are 8+ turns out, it can really put things on the pace you want.

I actually didn't think to do that here. I didn't even think to pull the citizen off working the mountain.
It's tough to time the prebuilds when you're waiting on someone else's research though.

1760 AD - Babs discover Rocketry. I have Aluminium! Also around this time, Russia and Ottomans make an MPP and Ottomans immediately declare war on Babylon
1764 AD - Babylon and Russia make peace, shortly afterwards Babs also make peace with Osman, and the whole world is in harmony
1778 AD - Babs discover Space Flight
1794 AD - Abe Lincoln is lonely:

Abe Demands Crop.jpg

He also hasn't met the Ottomans, I had not noticed that.

1796 AD - Babs and Russia both discover Synthetic Fibers.

As of 1800 AD I have two SS parts built and three in production. I'm currently 11 turns into a one-scientist run on Miniaturisation.
Other stuff that happened, The UN was built in Moscow, but there hasn't been a vote. My UN build became the SETI project, and completed 5 turns later.

1808 - Babs discover Superconductor
These Modern Age techs are so expensive it takes up to three disconnects to be able to buy back all of my lump sum (I have about 1000 gpt)
1818 - Babs discover Satellites
1820 - Russia discovers Miniaturizaton, Babs also get it.
1830 - Babs discover Nuclear Power
1832 - Russia dicovers Advanced Flight (boo!), Babs also get it,
1846 - Babs discover the Laser
1852 - Russia discover Genetics (boo!)
1866 - Babs discover Robotics
1868:

theodora space crop.jpg

I think I counted 15 Launches in the tables later than 1868.

@superslug

I got this error message when I submitted:
Could not insert: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ',,'','','','','','',,,'0:00:00',,,,,,,,,,,,)' at line 1
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' 12896, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, 1868, 5432, 'Spaceship', 'Victory','Large','Sid','')' at line 3

Note that I submitted after this, so I don't think it is a generic HOF issue. Your file size shouldn't be a problem either. I might just clear my cache and re-submit if I were you / log-out, long-in and resubmit.

I'm assuming if the save file is corrupted you can go to the last auto-save and replay, that, I believe, is consistent with the HOF rules, right @superslug?

Note that I had this same error in this thread linked here.

I tried that and it worked. Cheers BlackBetsy.
Every game accepted is 1 more towards a new update! I think if your game and my latest game are accepted, that's 9. Mapfinder is working on finding 2 grassland cows with a river on Standard Demigod for a Sumerian Spaceship run as we speak.

1808 - Babs discover Superconductor
These Modern Age techs are so expensive it takes up to three disconnects to be able to buy back all of my lump sum (I have about 1000 gpt)
1818 - Babs discover Satellites
1820 - Russia discovers Miniaturizaton, Babs also get it.
1830 - Babs discover Nuclear Power
1832 - Russia dicovers Advanced Flight (boo!), Babs also get it,
1846 - Babs discover the Laser
1852 - Russia discover Genetics (boo!)
1866 - Babs discover Robotics
1868:

View attachment 703353

I think I counted 15 Launches in the tables later than 1868.
Congratulations Bartleby!

Top Bottom