Basic World Map Settings

Chieftess

Retired Moderator
What settings should we use? (regardless of vanilla/PTW/Civ3)

World Size (Tiny - Huge + "random")
Barbs (no barbs - random)
Pangaea/Continents/Archi (60/70/80)
Climate (arid/normal/dry)
Temp (Warm/Temp/Cool)
Age (3/4/5 billion)

Previous Settings: (from memory)

DG1 - Large, 70% "continents" (turned out more like a pangaea), wet, warm, 4 billion
DG2 - Huge, 70% Pangaea, normal, warm., 4 billion
DG3 - 60% continents, normal, temp, 3 billion
DG4 - 60% continents (?), arid, warm, 4 billion

Do we want to go for an archipelago map this time? Smaller continents? Pangaea again? Or, just all random?

Here's what each will entail:

Archipelago Maps - Smaller provinces, or provinces over multiple islands.
Continents - Normal sized provinces.
Pangaea - HUGE provinces.

60% - Large provinces, using more cities so that we don't have the "20 provinces problem" (13-18 cities)

70% - Medium sized provinces. (8-12 cities)

80% - Small provinces (i.e. 5-8 cities)

city sizes would raze and lower depending on landmass type and world size. (i.e., huge map, 60% pangaea would *DEMAND* that there be maybe 20 cities per province, especially if we're going for something like domination).

How about all random and just supprise us ;).

You aren't tired of 60% continents? ;)

We haven't done an archipelago map yet... Maybe 80% archipelago (I think that actually gives "larger" islands, and not as many small islands).

I always go for 60% continents. It gives us the possibility to aim for conquering the whole continent. I also find archipelago frustrating, and just don't like Pangea for some reason.

I would be open to archipelago, but I say we do it on a large map with lots of rivals if we do, so that we're not stuck by ourselves for a long time. The one time I did archipelago that happened, and when I met my first other civ around 500 AD I found that they all had destroyers and a giant continent, while I still had spearmen. So I say we try not to be isolated.

In Random, we also run the risk that the game won't throw anything strange at us. :) So why don't we come up with it ourselves? I think that an Archipelago, Huge Map, 16 Civs on Emperor/Diety would be a huge challenge. OK, Diety may be pushing it....... :lol:

It would be nice to put ourselves in a situation where winning the game is not a foregone conclusion by the time we get to the Industrial Age. But I am not sure if everyone is up for it.

What do you suggest? A hand drawn map? :mischief:

I was being sarcastic. ;) (of course, who ever makes the map elects not to run for office, and not tell any map features).

Donovan Zoi said:
It would be nice to put ourselves in a situation where winning the game is not a foregone conclusion by the time we get to the Industrial Age.

Definitely.

I'm against random, because that might stick us with pangea, and pangea means virtually no option but war.
Also, a tiny map would be sort of disappointing. The game is too short.
I say normal to huge, continents or arch, 70-80%. Let's have some land to explore!

well, since it looks like alot of us wanna do 5CC we should use a standard or smaller map and nothing that strange

Top Bottom