basium sucks!

ash874

Warlord
i play a huge map against 23 civs and im pretty much the only good guy since the good civs are horrible in huge maps (especially that pink kid). so since im order fighting the dreaded av it would seem natural to summon the angels for help, right? wrong. since basium cant do nothing in a bad map. maybe there needs to be a change in the concept - instead of good people dying and joining basium's army as angels, bad guys can die and be punished by eternaly serving basium...?

the same of course applies to hyborem, but i never saw the evil guys outnumbered.

and another very important thing!!!
in the regular civ 4 there is a regenerate map button...
kael for your consideration

i play a huge map against 23 civs and im pretty much the only good guy since the good civs are horrible in huge maps (especially that pink kid). so since im order fighting the dreaded av it would seem natural to summon the angels for help, right? wrong. since basium cant do nothing in a bad map. maybe there needs to be a change in the concept - instead of good people dying and joining basium's army as angels, bad guys can die and be punished by eternaly serving basium...?

the same of course applies to hyborem, but i never saw the evil guys outnumbered.

and another very important thing!!!
in the regular civ 4 there is a regenerate map button...
kael for your consideration

The Extra-planars are both very dependent on their start situation. If they arrive early and in a good position, they can both be powerhouses. Under human control at least...

Under AI control they tend to realise that they're "very small" in the grand scheme and turtle away, trying not to draw attention. That's a general AI issue though rather than something specific to Basium (other than the fact he tends to arrive late and falls into the situation more than most)

==

Regarding the "Regenerate Map" - it was present in early versions, but was removed as it didn't perform certain pre-game actions when a map was re-generated. Settlers for instance did not receive their starting bonus on a regenerated map. Whether or not it'll be re-added later I'm not sure, but it was definitely considered and deliberately removed for the time being.

The problem is...there's already nother thread on this. Click the url that rusty217 posted.

The problem is...there's already nother thread on this. Click the url that rusty217 posted.

If you post in an old thread, people will accuse you of thread necromancy. If you start a new thread, other people will point you to the old thread.

It's the cruel dilemma that every man must confront before hitting the "New Post" button.

If you post in an old thread, people will accuse you of thread necromancy. If you start a new thread, other people will point you to the old thread.

It's the cruel dilemma that every man must confront before hitting the "New Post" button.

:rolleyes: It's not thread necromancy if the thread is on the front page.

The reason people have been crying about thread necromancy recently is because that one guy was bumping threads that aren't even relevant anymore.

Necro a thread that might still matter and no one will moan.

For example, the still active thread on Basium not titled "Basium Sucks".

The other thread had been posted to less than 40 minutes before this one was started.

Under AI control they tend to realise that they're "very small" in the grand scheme and turtle away, trying not to draw attention. That's a general AI issue though rather than something specific to Basium (other than the fact he tends to arrive late and falls into the situation more than most)

In BTS, Alex will declare war, by himself, with an army that is hopelessly outnumbered and outclassed (also, you can pay him to do it at like cautious - for pennies if you have a positive war-diplo modifier). I suspect the first spear vs. tank victory was accomplished by a soldier of Alex. It's different than Monty; there is some personality modifier to 'aggression regardless of power' and 'will go to war for spare change'. Could Hyborem/Basium's be adjusted?

So, Alexander went to war, with only Spearman and other ancient units, against Tanks and modern units? And he managed to kill a tank. Huh, AI sometimes. It happens to cause the wierdest resutls. LOL! Did Alex's army have lots of promotions? (Not that a Spearman should be able to match a Tank even with all the promotions possible for it.) Or do ya think that one Tank was jus unlucky?

I imagine he got killed tho once the Tanks and Infantry descended on him. Poor, stupid AI. It's funny how you die. (Was that rhyme a bit much? Sorry, I did a Perpentach thing there. I'm done tho.) It's wierd tho how say a warrior in BTS could defend against a Knight or Maceman simply cuz the city the warrior is defendin has like 150% defense, which I always thought was a bit much.

In BTS, Alex will declare war, by himself, with an army that is hopelessly outnumbered and outclassed (also, you can pay him to do it at like cautious - for pennies if you have a positive war-diplo modifier). I suspect the first spear vs. tank victory was accomplished by a soldier of Alex. It's different than Monty; there is some personality modifier to 'aggression regardless of power' and 'will go to war for spare change'. Could Hyborem/Basium's be adjusted?

I think this is already done. Hyborem and Basium both love to go to war (Basium especially, but Hyborem as well). Their power ratings are inflated in order to encourage them to be more aggressive, but the fact that they rarely control more than a handful of cities really mitigates that.

For Hyborem, at least, it might help if he just started with some Settlers so he can grow immediately. For Basium, perhaps more than just the city with the Mercurian Gate should be turned over.

Hm, perhaps Basium should automatically come with the great commander promotion as well?

I'd also suggest that Basium (and Hyboream) start with a number of angels/demons based on how many units have been killed in the game so far.

Well, edit it in the XML for Basium to have a great commander promotion attached to him. Don't know why he needs it tho; he's already a hero.

I've always figured it'd be nice if the extraplanar civs started out with armies based on the scores of the current surviving civilizations. For instance, Hyborem could always spawn with enough units that he'd match the score of the second-place civ. This could cause a few unit mantainence problems, though...

Yeah, money is the issue here.

This could cause a few unit mantainence problems, though...

So lets just start them with money depending on turn/speed/power of other civs.

I've always figured it'd be nice if the extraplanar civs started out with armies based on the scores of the current surviving civilizations. For instance, Hyborem could always spawn with enough units that he'd match the score of the second-place civ. This could cause a few unit mantainence problems, though...

How about his initial troops start with a promotion that makes them require no maintenance, if thats even possible...

I would like to reiterate my planar gate suggestion from the other thread. If he received angels for free according to the AC, then he would eventually be a force to be reckoned with.

Also, part of the reason the Infernals are so strong is their Hell Terrain defensive bonus. Angels should get some kind of similar bonus/be able to easily reverse Hell terrain.

Top Bottom