basium sucks!

Well, the Mecurian's description say they would just as willingly fight beside the cruel Calabim as the Lawful Bannor, as long as their common foe is the Veil. But if a Veil civ can summon Basium, it's ethier a bug or should be removed in anycase. Or he should declare war on his ally, which might cause the game the crash.

Also, part of the reason the Infernals are so strong is their Hell Terrain defensive bonus. Angels should get some kind of similar bonus/be able to easily reverse Hell terrain.

The real difference is that Angels are mere str 5 units, which means pretty crappy ones, while Infernals can build pretty much any sort of unit other civs can, and can upgrade whenever they wish. Base Angels suck, and need really a lot of experience to be upgraded, but since they are poor units they're unlikely to get that experience.

Onedreamer, that's why you build altar-boosted Disciples en masse then send them on suicide missions, and run things like Apprenticeship, Theocracy, and Conquest. It's quite easy if you're planning to switch to Basium yourself to set up the city as a Great Prophet farm, and you can get several within the first handful of turns.

If Faeryl Viconia can summon Basium that could be a bug, I'm pretty sure that evil civs should not be able to summon him.

And restricting him to order or to good is pointless, mechanic wise because this means he would be rare to see as few civs actually go order especially in smaller games.

It would also be bad lore wise, as it has been stated that Basium cares not who he helps him or who he helps aslong as he gets to kill the Veil, meaning he would be as happy following the order as he would the council of esus, as long as his enemy is the Veil...

I summoned Basium for the first time last night and it screwed up what had been a pretty good game.

I knew he would take the city with the Mercurian gate, which was fine. I built it on the fringe of my empire, but as soon as he was summoned:

a) My tech requirements for all new techs doubled as he was now a team member, which slowed my advances to a crawl (since he was contributing nothing).

b) He dragged me into war with every Veil civ immediately.

c) His culture was gimped because the land he was on was still considered that of my civ.

Suggestions:
There needs to be a better way for Basium to gain a foothold on the map. Yes, in the current implementation he gets a city, but unless the summoning civ is next to one he is going to war with or will gift him additional cities there is little opportunity for expansion.

It might be nice if Basium instead of taking the summoner's city if he took a city from one of the Ashen Veil civs (maybe the smallest city of the smallest Veil Civ? or a Veil city without a Temple in it?) and got an immediate culture boost (like to level 3 or 4), some defensive structures and religious buildings to put a nice footprint on the map.

Basium also needs some firepower to defend against the civs he is going to be at war with immediately. I would suggest some high defense units to help him hold out while the evil hordes close in and try to knock him out. Angels are not a terribly strong offensive unit for the mid-to-late game when he is summoned but if he can survive a bit (with temples in place) he should be able to start churning out some quality units.

It might be nice if Basium instead of taking the summoner's city if he took a city from one of the Ashen Veil civs (maybe the smallest city of the smallest Veil Civ? or a Veil city without a Temple in it?) and got an immediate culture boost (like to level 3 or 4), some defensive structures and religious buildings to put a nice footprint on the map.

I really think this is a bad idea, taking him from in the middle of his allies empire to the middle of an enemy empire, no matter how good defence he is given that would be a bad idea...

I nmy last game Basium was quite powerful. He was summoned by Arendel Phaedra and got quite good city. Arendel together with him were first in score and had really big army. And when i was fighting them it was really unpleasant. Each killed stack of elves meant stack of angels. Add Repenant angels and angels of death and i can be really painful .Though, I won the war.:)

Onedreamer, that's why you build altar-boosted Disciples en masse then send them on suicide missions, and run things like Apprenticeship, Theocracy, and Conquest. It's quite easy if you're planning to switch to Basium yourself to set up the city as a Great Prophet farm, and you can get several within the first handful of turns.

I didn't speak of ME. In the hands of the player, any civ can win. But the title is: BASIUM (not me, or you) sucks!.

I was under the impression that Veil civs couldn't build the gate. A vassal of mine wouldn't trade me the tech required for the gate until I forced them to convert to veil. The AI usually won't trade away techs for wonders that they are building so I assumed they were building the gate but then they had to quit when they joined the veil.

Top Bottom