BAT install on Civ IV

Redcoat1

Warlord
I posted this earlier and had no luck getting it installed.

Background:
I have a new laptop with Windows 11
I can play BTS without it but BAT adds so much to the game.

Downloaded CIV 4 and BTS from Steam
Downloaded BAT from a site I now forgot but it was a site recommended.
The first BAT was zipped and just wouldn't execute. I got an unzipped version and it did exec.
I did not get a patch.
Civ IV and BTS work fine.
The Mods selections show all the normal Mods except no BAT.
I am not particularly computer savvy anymore. Could someone please spell out the exact steps for successfully installing BAT?
I would really appreciate it.
Phillip

Steam made some changes in CIV and BTS to make it work with their multiplayer platform. Those changes disable all mods, including BAT. Because of all the complaints they got about that, they have included the version without their change in the download but you have to chooose to run it instead of their standard version. Even though it is the original version, they call it the Beta version. So, if you have not already opened your Steam download and selected to run the Beta version, you need to do so. That will most likely solve your problem. If you have already done that, I am sure a more knowledgable user of Steam will be along to help you soon here. I don't use Steam myself for several reasons, this being one of them.

Mr Bernbaum,
Thank you so much.
I will uninstall what I have and get the beta version tonite.
Civ IV BTS BAT is pretty much the only game I play so this is really good news.
Phillip

Sorry to be a pain but I only see the Original Civ IV on Steam. Do see a Beta verision. Is there a trick to accessing it?

It is included in the download for CIV that you already have. You should be able to open the Steam package and open it from there. I'm sorry that I can not be more specific but I don't use Steam. I have opened a conversation with Lymond, who uses Steam, asking him to help you with this. He has helped others with this same issue. He should leave a message here soon to tell you how to do it.

Sorry to be a pain but I only see the Original Civ IV on Steam. Do see a Beta verision. Is there a trick to accessing it?
Right click on BTS in Steam and go to Properties --> Click Betas tab -> in drop down on that screen select "Original Release...blah blah". Steam will download files and reinstall.

Other points:
1) Run game from the bts.exe and not from the Steam Library (exe is in something like steam\common\bts\bts - yes there are two bts folders but the lowest folder is the actual main bts folder)
2) Right click on bts.exe -> Properties ->Compatibility-> Switch to Win 7 compatibility mode and check the run as admin checkbox

Sadly I cannot see the Bat Mod when I open Civ BTS. I am sure I missed some steps.

1. "Right click on BTS in Steam and go to Properties --> Click Betas tab -> in drop down on that screen select "Original Release...blah blah". Steam will download files and reinstall."
I selected the Original release for both CIV 4 and BTS and installed both. I can open and run BTS but no Bat Mod available in select a mod menu.

2. I cannot find bts.exe anywhere on my laptop. I show no downloads of CiV.

any ideas where I went wrong?

Wait!!! I have it. I don't need to select the Bat Mod, it automatically opens. Thank you so much!!

Well crap.
My Religion tab got corrupted so I deleted and reloaded Civ and BTS using the beta.
I started (not from BTS.exe cause I could not find it) but from the BTS application buried in steam/steamapps/common/ BTS/BTS folder.
No BUG Mod. Checked the Mods Folder- no BUG there.
What have I done wrong

I found the BUG folder in the mygames area and copied to the MODS area in the steam/common/etc etc area. Doesn’t work.

First make sure that there is not a folder called "BUG Mod" inside the "BUG Mod" folder. Sometimes the installer creates that extra layer. If there is the double layer of folders with the same name, rename the outer one a temporary name and move the inner one into the Mods folder. Then delete the temporary named one. Having a double layer keeps the mod from being seen by the main software.

If that is not the problem then make sure you have installed BUG correctly. The following is the installation instructions that used to come with BUG. I don't know if they still do but they are still correct, although I don't know if the Troubleshooting links are still active.

README for BUG
==============

1. Introduction
2. Installation
3. Configuration
4. Troubleshooting

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
1. INTRODUCTION

BUG is an unaltered-gameplay mod for Civ4:BTS. This readme covers how to install BUG manually, but we recommend that you use the installer when you can.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
2. INSTALLATION

WARNING: You should never modify or replace the original BTS Assets files.

To install BUG as a mod so that you must load it to play, place the BUG Mod folder into your BTS's Mods folder, as shown below:

location of your BTS Mods folder
Mods
BUG Mod

To install BUG so that it is always active with your games (this will allow you to use it with succession games and games you open from the CivFanatics forum), you must first copy the files and folders from the Assets folder into your CustomAssets folder. Next create a "BUG Mod" folder next to CustomAssets and copy the Info and UserSettings folders into it. Finally, copy the files inside PrivateMaps into BTS's PublicMaps folder.

At each step it is important that you tell it to overwrite files.

C:\Documents and Settings
<your user name>
My Documents
My Games
Beyond the Sword
CustomAssets <-- folders in Assets go here
BUG Mod <-- create this folder
Info <-- copy these two folders here
UserSettings
PublicMaps <-- copy files from PrivateMaps here

3. CONFIGURATION

Once you start a game with BUG you can customize how BUG looks by hitting ALT + CTRL + O to get to the BUG Options screen. It has many tabs to organize the settings, and they are all written to INI files inside the UserSettings folder. You can also change them in these files, but this is only necessary for a handful of options.

4. TROUBLESHOOTING

If you are having any trouble getting BUG to work, start with our Troubleshooting wiki page:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/civ4bug/index.php?title=Troubleshooting

Post the information that page asks for to the Questions thread at our forum:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=242396

If you find a feature or option that doesn't work properly, please post to our Bug Reporting thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=241796

Last edited:

s.bernbaum,​

I downloaded Civ IV and BTS from Steam using the Properties tab to get to the "Original Release Unsupported" Beta version.
The Steam area is in Program Files (86)\ Steam\Steam apps\Common\Sid Meiers CIV IV BTS\BTS.
The Mods folder at Program Files (86)\ Steam\Steam apps\Common\Sid Meiers CIV IV BTS\BTS\Mods has the Bug Mod folder along with others.
I copied the Assets folders/files into the Custom Assets folder. It apparently replaced the folders already there.
What does this next step mean? "Next create a "BUG Mod" folder next to CustomAssets". What is "next to? is that within the CustomAssets folder itself or something else?

I really appreciate your help.

It means create a new folder called "BUG Mod" in the same folder where the CustomAssets folder is located, so they would both be subfolders of the same parent folder. If you were to view the contents of that folder as icons you would then see the BUG Mod and CustomAssets folders' icons "next to" one another and any other icons inside that folder. That is probably not the best wording in the instructions, for clarity.

Well crap.
My Religion tab got corrupted so I deleted and reloaded Civ and BTS using the beta.
I started (not from BTS.exe cause I could not find it) but from the BTS application buried in steam/steamapps/common/ BTS/BTS folder.
No BUG Mod. Checked the Mods Folder- no BUG there.
What have I done wrong
That is the exe

s.bernbaum,​

I downloaded Civ IV and BTS from Steam using the Properties tab to get to the "Original Release Unsupported" Beta version.
The Steam area is in Program Files (86)\ Steam\Steam apps\Common\Sid Meiers CIV IV BTS\BTS.
The Mods folder at Program Files (86)\ Steam\Steam apps\Common\Sid Meiers CIV IV BTS\BTS\Mods has the Bug Mod folder along with others.
I copied the Assets folders/files into the Custom Assets folder. It apparently replaced the folders already there.
What does this next step mean? "Next create a "BUG Mod" folder next to CustomAssets". What is "next to? is that within the CustomAssets folder itself or something else?

I really appreciate your help.
Don’t ever copy move stuff around like that. Anyway, Custom Assets is dispensable. You can always delete it and a fresh one will be created the next time you launch.

If you install bug in custom assets you do not need to load a mod. Use the BUG install exe and select the SP option. It will install in custom assets and that is it. No clue what directions you are reading but never heard of creating a separate bug folder.

BULL you just copy over what is in CA and place the DLL in the assets folder, but keep a copy of the original dll.

As for standalone mods like BAT they should only go in bts/bts/mods

Don’t ever copy move stuff around like that. Anyway, Custom Assets is dispensable. You can always delete it and a fresh one will be created the next time you launch.

If you install bug in custom assets you do not need to load a mod. Use the BUG install exe and select the SP option. It will install in custom assets and that is it. No clue what directions you are reading but never heard of creating a separate bug folder.

BULL you just copy over what is in CA and place the DLL in the assets folder, but keep a copy of the original dll.

As for standalone mods like BAT they should only go in bts/bts/mods
Those are not my directions. They are the contents of the Readme that came with BUG when it was last updated many years ago. I only copied and pasted it into my message. I tried to insert it as a quote but the CFF site would not let me paste into the quote. FWIW, that is how it is installed in my system and works fine. The place that you are moving is inside CustomAssets, so as you mentioned it is replaceable.

Myself, I duplicated the CustomAssets folder and renamed the duplicate. Then I followed the directions in the Readme. After that I copied all the extra stuff that I had installed in CustomAssets from the duplicate back into CustomAssets, since I had made many changes prior to that. For example, I don't like the Global Warming effects nor nulear weapons, so I made changes that knock both out of the game. It has run fine like that for many years now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom